Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Benji

Trading in games

I was just wondering if anyone had opinions on the best shops/websites to trade in games. I'm moving into a flat in 2 weeks and have way too many xbox games I never play. Can't really be bothered to go through eBay and the hassle of individual posting when I make just a few pounds for it. My brother usually went into Game and traded in. Anyone know who offers you the best prices? Would really prefer money over credit/vouchers.

The best place to go is CEX in Leicester City Center

http://uk.webuy.com/

If you click on the sell tab at the top you can type in the name of the game and it will tell you how much you get for credit or cash

I use them quite a bit and is by far the best place to sell your games. Do not take them to GAME or Gamestation as you get ripped off.

GAME and Gamestation offer the same on trade-ins. At least they did when I traded something in a while back.

There's that website that keeps advertising on TV at the moment, musicmagpie - the one that takes DVDs, CDs, games etc, you scan the barcode in through a webcam and they give you a price. Not tried it though. Might be worth a go.

Failing that, amazon take them in as well. You've got the hassle of posting stuff off though.

If you click on the sell tab at the top you can type in the name of the game and it will tell you how much you get for credit or cash

I use them quite a bit and is by far the best place to sell your games. Do not take them to GAME or Gamestation as you get ripped off.

It depends on the title and how long you've had it for. If you can turn something around in 2 weeks you can get a good price. I traded in NFS Hot Pursuit last time and got £25 for it. Compare that with Assassins Creed for £6. It's swings and roundabouts. Some you do well on, others less so.

The drought over the summer hits hardest as you tend to keep titles for 6 months until there's something decent to trade in on come September and the major release frenzy through til November.

I've personally never had a good experience with CeX. I bought some stuff from them before and my card ended up getting charged twice the amount of the order - took forever to get that money back. I also sent some stuff to their website (first class recorded delivery - around £80 worth of stuff) and they never sent me the money for it, a month after the good had been signed for and numerous emails, I had to threaten legal action as I had proof it was signed for before I received that money...

Oh, also I went to their store to trade some stuff in and was told I could only exchange it for in store vouchers as some days every week they didn't have any money in the store (so if you do use them just beware).

Also, I tried to trade in my DS console, they did all the tests and everything, it was fine but I had forgotten to bring the charger. Took it back with the charger and they literally rejected it because it had a bit of sellotape hanging off it (I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating but I'm really not!).

Sorry for the essay but I really cannot stand that amateur store!

It depends on the title and how long you've had it for. If you can turn something around in 2 weeks you can get a good price. I traded in NFS Hot Pursuit last time and got £25 for it. Compare that with Assassins Creed for £6. It's swings and roundabouts. Some you do well on, others less so.

The drought over the summer hits hardest as you tend to keep titles for 6 months until there's something decent to trade in on come September and the major release frenzy through til November.

Two weeks?????? I still haven't completed GTA IV lol

Two weeks?????? I still haven't completed GTA IV lol

It depends on the title. NFS is definately doable in 2 weeks. So are countless others I've traded in - the latest Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Force Unleashed - basically anything around 10 hours in a two week turnaround is easily doable.

GTA IV, three playthroughs of Dead Space 2, AC2, the Fallout series are definately not.

The ones which I don't get into also tend to gather dust - Red Dead (overrated and dull), Dragon Age (just plain terrible gameplay for an RPG) etc in the vain hope that I might pick them up and get back into them. Never happens though lol

It depends on the title. NFS is definately doable in 2 weeks. So are countless others I've traded in - the latest Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Force Unleashed - basically anything around 10 hours in a two week turnaround is easily doable.

GTA IV, three playthroughs of Dead Space 2, AC2, the Fallout series are definately not.

The ones which I don't get into also tend to gather dust - Red Dead (overrated and dull), Dragon Age (just plain terrible gameplay for an RPG) etc in the vain hope that I might pick them up and get back into them. Never happens though lol

blink.gif

Arr... Red Dead Redemption is great, maybe not outstanding, but captures the spirit of the Wild West really well - also offers loads of content for the money.

As for Dragon Age, I concur. Overhyped and I never really got into it. A couple of bugs also prevented me from really playing it through.

Titles I would trade in with little hesitation would be the Street Fighter series (I just don't like it anymore), as well as Saboteur (now that's terrible gameplay for you!) and the older EA sports games.

Do you get the same money by taking games in to the shop direct as you do by selling them online? they offered me £122 for cash for the games im selling but concerned about how long it will actually get the cash doing it online.

Best place I've found is to set up a play trade account on Play.com. You have to pay the postage and packaging yourself but for newer games you can sell them for about £5 less than the first hand price.

Also if you have a smart phone, download the HMV re/play app. It tells you how much they will trade in for and if you take store credit you can sometimes get some really decent amounts on there.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time i traded my games in i went onto CEX online and got the prices, printed them off then went to gamestation. At the time they had an offer of beating any local trade by 1 pound and some of the games they offered more than CEX.

And they do a card scheme where you can get points for trades etc

Do you get the same money by taking games in to the shop direct as you do by selling them online? they offered me £122 for cash for the games im selling but concerned about how long it will actually get the cash doing it online.

Went in to the shop in the week and traded in instead of doing it online. Got the same cash offered online.

All good.

We have a shop called 'grainger games' in town. Not sure if you have them in Leicester, but they pay you good cash/swap deal for games.

always sell games via paper or ebay, its the only way youl make most of it back, you will sell say cod blck ops to a shop for 10er theyl sell it at 25 gauranteed

Of course they will! They want to make a profit, thats what business is about.

GAME and Gamestation offer the same on trade-ins. At least they did when I traded something in a while back.

There's that website that keeps advertising on TV at the moment, musicmagpie - the one that takes DVDs, CDs, games etc, you scan the barcode in through a webcam and they give you a price. Not tried it though. Might be worth a go.

Failing that, amazon take them in as well. You've got the hassle of posting stuff off though.

I tried musicmagpie.. price offered for games was shocking... very poor..

Archived