Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

What makes a PC 'fast' ?

Make use of your system tools. Disk cleaner and in particular the disk defragmenter. 

Nah that's back in the olden days when hard drives capacity was much smaller. No point doing that

Looks like it's your CPU, your perhaps running too much for your CPU to comfortably handle, try deleting any old installed programs or closing the automatic opening programs as soon as you boot up. 

Also make sure there is good air flow to your PC, could be running very hot and it's struggling to cool down.

My old PC has 4gb of Ram on an i5 2500k 3.5ghz quad core coupled with a 256gb SSC and it's lightning quick, even on demanding games. I doubt increasing your Ram will increase performance as I feel your CPU could bottleneck the performance.

Deleted a couple again no significant difference not that i thought i had too much loaded up anyway.

When I deleted the BT Help programme it just seized up I left if for 2 hours and it still was running, I stopped it in Task Manager where it said it was not responding, when i tried to delete another programme it said it was still trying to delete the BT one it so i had to reboot.

I'm seriously considering a reinstall which will be the 4th time I've done it with this PC twice with vista and now twice with 7.

Nah that's back in the olden days when hard drives capacity was much smaller. No point doing that

Is it still not worth compressing files though? 

How can I maintain my laptop now- what are best methods to do so? 

How can I maintain my laptop now- what are best methods to do so? 

Use a program called CCleaner and run it at regular intervals. It's free - https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Then just normal anti virus (I use AVG, but Avast is similar) and for peace of mind you can run MalwareBytes maybe once a month

Go to your 'Add/Remove Programs' and make sure that you don't have any toolbars installed because these act as a gateway for malware to infect your machine on compromised websites.

The above is for general maintenance. Obviously if you are noticing something drastically wrong with your laptop such as pop ups, slow and sluggish then maybe you will need to diagnose what is causing that issue and react accordingly.

Use a program called CCleaner and run it at regular intervals. It's free - https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Then just normal anti virus (I use AVG, but Avast is similar) and for peace of mind you can run MalwareBytes maybe once a month

Go to your 'Add/Remove Programs' and make sure that you don't have any toolbars installed because these act as a gateway for malware to infect your machine on compromised websites.

The above is for general maintenance. Obviously if you are noticing something drastically wrong with your laptop such as pop ups, slow and sluggish then maybe you will need to diagnose what is causing that issue and react accordingly.

I use Microsoft Security essentials- it is doing a good job so far from what I can see.  I also currently use disk clean ups and disk fragmentation (only if it is over 10%) once a month.  Is these tools that I have mentioned good enough or will CCleaner be better if so then why? 

I use Microsoft Security essentials- it is doing a good job so far from what I can see.  I also currently use disk clean ups and disk fragmentation (only if it is over 10%) once a month.  Is these tools that I have mentioned good enough or will CCleaner be better if so then why? 

Well disk clean up save space on the hard drive by compacting everything together. CCleaner removes crap (crap cleaner) from the operating system so allows processes to run quicker. You can have a read of what it does on the web site but I don't disagree with any of it, and it is endorsed by computer experts around the world.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Well disk clean up save space on the hard drive by compacting everything together. CCleaner removes crap (crap cleaner) from the operating system so allows processes to run quicker. You can have a read of what it does on the web site but I don't disagree with any of it, and it is endorsed by computer experts around the world.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I am sure that disk clean ups delete files as well because whatever I use it, it ask me which files I want to delete so it is doing same job as CCleaner? 

• 2 weeks later...

I've ended up reinstalling Windows 7 seems a lot better but then apart from old version of office and chrome there's nothing else on it.

I'm using MS own anti-virus software for now as I suspect it got very slow after I installed Avast.

If anyone can suggest the best fee anti-virus SW it'll be appreciated. I've used AVG and Avast and not been that impressed with the affect they have on the performance of my PC.

I've ended up reinstalling Windows 7 seems a lot better but then apart from old version of office and chrome there's nothing else on it.

I'm using MS own anti-virus software for now as I suspect it got very slow after I installed Avast.

If anyone can suggest the best fee anti-virus SW it'll be appreciated. I've used AVG and Avast and not been that impressed with the affect they have on the performance of my PC.

I always recommend Kaspersky AV - its costs, but you get what you pay for. In general, with these sort of performance issues a complete reinstall of the OS is usually the best solution, Windows PCs pick up all sorts of junk over the years which just sloooow them down . If you have the same issue again, take a hard look at what you use your PC for and consider switching from the Windows treadmill over to Linux Mint as your OS. I was surprised at how easy it was. Linux used to be considered a geek's toy, but my mres doesnt notice the difference!

I always recommend Kaspersky AV - its costs, but you get what you pay for. In general, with these sort of performance issues a complete reinstall of the OS is usually the best solution, Windows PCs pick up all sorts of junk over the years which just sloooow them down . If you have the same issue again, take a hard look at what you use your PC for and consider switching from the Windows treadmill over to Linux Mint as your OS. I was surprised at how easy it was. Linux used to be considered a geek's toy, but my mres doesnt notice the difference!

I tried using mint and just could not take to it or get it running properly.

I had a free 1 year subscription to Kaspersky and didn't  find it that great, I'm  sounding hard to please here :P

If anyone is interested in looking for the best specs to make for a pc then i recommend looking on here. http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

Good community which can give you a good idea on what to build. I've built all my pc's since I was 13, you only need to upgrade them once every 5 or so years and they're fresh as new. All of my PC's have been fairly middle budget as well costing around 500/600 for the full kit (monitor etc included). they would play most games on high settings when I first had it. MY current pc is starting to show its age against the new games however. 

Wait did someone genuinely just suggest paying for anti virus? In this day and age? Wtf throwing your money away.

The only type of computers that need paid anti virus are ones on a network in a large organisation / business and that's because they need to be tailored for those needs.

Archived