Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2015/16 Stuff it in here.

Has the rule changed then since Lehmann committed a red card offence and Ludivic Guilly scored straight after in what would have been the advantage but the ref had stopped play immediately to award a red card, as he should? That was the Champions League final.

Whether Costa goes down or not is irrelevant, Mertesacker impedes him deliberately and is the last defender going to stop him.

You can't make up a rule that says just because a player goes down a bit easy it's less of a foul. lol

I mean it'd be nice n'all but how could you possibly judge that? You can't have a panel on the side reviewing decisions debating how easy it would have been for Costa to stay on his feet.

I've been brought down before running full tilt by people who had missed me because I had to change my stride to try and avoid them. You seriously under estimate how disruptive having a six foot four inch German come flying at you can be.

I'm willing to bet you're not a winger.

Considering that players go down so easily these days, so if they stay on their feet the referee simply believes that there has been no contact. But that's an entirely different conversation.

Interesting area - players have learned to anticipate fouls. It's a reaction thing, the more you see something, the better you are at reacting to it because you can sense from the visual clues given what is about to occur, so in most cases players subconsciously know a foul is coming before it's even happened and take preparing action to avoid the hit - a quite sensible thing to do.

That however can sometimes cause 'dives' because the expected hit isn't forthcoming. This is not excusing the more theatrical, added emphasis dives, but given a player needs their legs to make a living it is actually quite natural to make sure that when a foul challenge is made as little of that impacts on you.

Roberto Martinez got relegated with Wigan, before him they were doing well in the prem with Jewell. Then somehow got a prem club after being relegated and has made Everton worse, they also finished higher with Moyes. He talks a good game but when you really look at his stats, he has made every club worse. 

I was under the impression that if a foul is adjudged to be deserving of a straight red, then the play is stopped, a free kick (or penalty) given, and the red card shown - regardless of whether or not the player is in a position to use the advantage? So if the referee sees the challenge as a foul, and in the circumstances it deserves a straight red, then it doesn't matter if Costa stays on his feet or not - the same outcome should still occur. Of course, the likelihood of the free kick even being given if Costa stayed on his feet is a whole lot lower, considering that players go down so easily these days, so if they stay on their feet the referee simply believes that there has been no contact. But that's an entirely different conversation.

That is true for violent conduct, so a dangerous tackle but the ruling is this:

post-9839-0-29869400-1453990401_thumb.pn

From here http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/7.%20law%2012_miscounduct_557.pdf

If that was the case then I would agree, but stopping a goal scoring opportunity relies on a goal scoring opportunity being stopped and that depends on the fouled player.

Has the rule changed then since Lehmann committed a red card offence and Ludivic Guilly scored straight after in what would have been the advantage but the ref had stopped play immediately to award a red card, as he should? That was the Champions League final.

Whether Costa goes down or not is irrelevant, Mertesacker impedes him deliberately and is the last defender going to stop him.

You can't make up a rule that says just because a player goes down a bit easy it's less of a foul. lol

I mean it'd be nice n'all but how could you possibly judge that? You can't have a panel on the side reviewing decisions debating how easy it would have been for Costa to stay on his feet.

I've been brought down before running full tilt by people who had missed me because I had to change my stride to try and avoid them. You seriously under estimate how disruptive having a six foot four inch German come flying at you can be.

I'm willing to bet you're not a winger.

But the rule isn't last man any more, it is stopping a goal scoring opportunity, and the goal scoring opportunity is only stopped by Costa diving.

I don't doubt the last bit at all, having someone flying in can cause you to fall over without contact and I get pissed off with pundits going on about contact like it is the only thing that makes a foul, but watching Costa that isn't the case. His stride isn't disrupted, his foot is clearly planted and then he goes over in a way that would make no sense if it was the situation you describe. His supporting foot doesn't slip, his momentum doesn't make him stumble forwards, he decides he is going down.

I'm full back by trade, so I'm used to flying in on fast wingers.

Roberto Martinez got relegated with Wigan, before him they were doing well in the prem with Jewell. Then somehow got a prem club after being relegated and has made Everton worse, they also finished higher with Moyes. He talks a good game but when you really look at his stats, he has made every club worse. 

Wigan always flirted with relegation in the Premier League. After Bruce left they finished 16th twice before eventually getting relegated. They lost a lot of good players over the years in the Premier League too tbf - you think about the likes of Bullard, Baines, Heskey, N'Zogbia etc.. Relegation was always inevitable for how Wigan were going, same with Blackburn in the end too. Lets not take away Martinez' excellent FA Cup win with Wigan.

But I do agree somewhat as I really don't rate him too much. Did well with Everton in his first year but since then they've gone backwards, which is strange given how strong the squad is. They should be pushing Europe.

Wigan always flirted with relegation in the Premier League. After Bruce left they finished 16th twice before eventually getting relegated. They lost a lot of good players over the years in the Premier League too tbf - you think about the likes of Bullard, Baines, Heskey, N'Zogbia etc.. Relegation was always inevitable for how Wigan were going, same with Blackburn in the end too. Lets not take away Martinez' excellent FA Cup win with Wigan.

But I do agree somewhat as I really don't rate him too much. Did well with Everton in his first year but since then they've gone backwards, which is strange given how strong the squad is. They should be pushing Europe.

It's because he has started to train their defenders. He inherited a well drilled Moyes back four with disciplined covering midfielders.

It's because he has started to train their defenders. He inherited a well drilled Moyes back four with disciplined covering midfielders.

Oh yeah, I agree. They try to play out of the back too which can sometimes be a problem when defenders cannot do it and with these recent errors it makes you wonder. Or at least makes Everton wonder.

Newcastle & Sunderland after Bamba

Football gossip

Both the Yorkshire Evening Post and the Evening Chronicle are reporting high interest from Newcastle United and Sunderland in Leeds United defender Sol Bamba.

The Ivory Coast international, 31, has been in and out of the side since signing in the summer, with manager Steve Evans keen to keep hold of him but owner Massimo Cellino apparently willing to let him go...

The Chronicle also says that Sunderland's chase of Swansea forward Andre Ayew is "dead".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/34977247

:crylaugh:

It would be an interesting move for Chelsea but once again it'll probably be another too big job for Hughes, it'll be like Man City all over again. I think if Hughes ever considered taking the next level up, he should consider a club like Everton. A biggish club with a lot of history, they've got ambition but not to the extend as someone say like Spurs. They'll give him to build, I could see Everton being a big force under him.

It would be an interesting move for Chelsea but once again it'll probably be another too big job for Hughes, it'll be like Man City all over again. I think if Hughes ever considered taking the next level up, he should consider a club like Everton. A biggish club with a lot of history, they've got ambition but not to the extend as someone say like Spurs. They'll give him to build, I could see Everton being a big force under him.

I see what you are saying but failing at Everton would damage his rep a lot more than failing at Chelsea, really it is a nothing to lose appointment for Hughes if he takes it. Stoke are doing as well as they probably ever could and barring a Leicester Style season they will drop off next season maybe start to lose a few players. Whereas Chelsea can't get any worse than this season.

Taking the Chelsea job now is probably the best time to do it as he will have their poor season this season to mitigate any bad start and he will have time to put things right, missing out on the top 4 will not be seen as a failure as long as they are in the top 6/7 and are improving for next season.

For Chelsea to be linked with Hughes suggests to me they are struggling to interest the top names they will have already sounded out. I'm also wondering if they are finding the same with transfer targets, which if is the case, makes the rebuilding job required quite considerable especially considering how many players any new manager needs to try and asses.

Ok, the money might be there, but a fractured dressing room, aging squad (again), potential lack of European competition and the possible disruption of a stadium move shortly down the line make it a very challenging prospect for whoever lands the next chapter.

For Chelsea to be linked with Hughes suggests to me they are struggling to interest the top names they will have already sounded out. I'm also wondering if they are finding the same with transfer targets, which if is the case, makes the rebuilding job required quite considerable especially considering how many players any new manager needs to try and asses.

Ok, the money might be there, but a fractured dressing room, aging squad (again), potential lack of European competition and the possible disruption of a stadium move shortly down the line make it a very challenging prospect for whoever lands the next chapter.

Simeone at Atletico Madrid or if that fails then Poch at Spurs is a decent shout.

interestingly just this morning the telegraph did an feature on "which players have the most negative effect on each club". kevin de bruyne has the most negative effect on the win percentage of man city, and if i remember right he had the most negative affect on any club's form lol

shows how much stats can mess some views up. think city have won every game this season in which he hasn't featured. they'll sure struggle without him. 

Archived