Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2015/16 Stuff it in here.

It is an interesting debate.

The problem is being a 'top' club results in enormous wealth.

You mention la liga, their top teams are always the biggest marquee signings in all of Europe, in fact I would go as far as saying that they are as guilty of inflating players fees and wages more so than all the top teams in England.

On the other hand, if our leagues top teams want to compete with the Real Madrids and Barcelonas they have to take a number and join the auction.

What I do find a little amusing is that no matter how much money the 'big' English teams have, most of them still can't keep their best players from going la liga.

Imagine if Spurs had Modric and Bale this season.

If United had Pique with Ronaldo.(poor comparison)

When you have prestige AND wealth you are probably going to pay double the amount a lesser team would have to, just as a result of that wealth.

I certainly never thought for one minute Bale was worth 80 million, the good news is Mahrez should go for what?

Quarter of a billion and he's yours zizu

The only clubs in La Liga guilty of that are the obvious two. Atletico and Valencia to a smaller extent. Look at the spend of clubs like Villarreal, Sevilla, Athletic Club etc... it's quite frightening what they're getting for their money compared to what we are.

I'd say English premium is a thing of the past and it's more Premier League premium now, but even so it's madness what English clubs are wasting. I honestly think Leicester have the best signing policy in the league. The complacency from others has opened up a chance and we're the ones who are taking it. It's great.

The best examples of wastage are clubs like Manchester United & Liverpool. They're both enormous names, Man Utd even more so, they had a similar pulling power to Barcelona & Real Madrid once upon a time, but they've really blown it if you ask me. They haven't bought as well as they should've done. Liverpool's transfer complacency has forced them outside of the top four of England, let alone Europe.

They aren't on their own mind you, look at the demise of the Milan clubs.

Anybody else hear about this Laurent Depoitre fellow from Kaa Gent? Most of the Premier League (including Leicester) are sending scouts to the CL game against Wolfsburg to watch him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/12159281/Meet-the-striker-half-the-Premier-League-wants-to-sign.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6934929/bLaurent-Depoitre-Manchester-United-City-and-Arsenal-among-13-clubs-at-Gents-Champions-League-last-16-clash-to-scout-starbut-who-is-he-b.html

His goal scoring record in the Belgian league isn't that eye-catching (13 in 35 last season), but he's a really big, powerful striker. There's a video in the Telegraph article. Looks more like a Huth than an Ulloa physically, but he looks like he moves pretty well and can finish with both feet. The interesting thing is that he's 27 but he was an amateur until 2011 while going to school. This club has faired pretty well in the recent past with finding talent in lower divisions... of course, in this case the player would be coming off of a Champions League appearance. Intriguing option.

Sounds very Giroud-ish.

The thing about "can a top club sign a Vardy or a Mahrez", is that there's far more money in football than there is talent.

And also the ratio between money spent and talent gained isn't linear. 

a £30m player isn't twice as good as a £15m player. 

But almost all of the 'top' clubs seem to think so...

The thing about "can a top club sign a Vardy or a Mahrez", is that there's far more money in football than there is talent.

And also the ratio between money spent and talent gained isn't linear. 

a £30m player isn't twice as good as a £15m player. 

But almost all of the 'top' clubs seem to think so...

The prices go up exponentially at the top end because they are the best few players in the world. Supply is very low and demand is very high.

I doubt the top clubs think a £30m player is twice as good as a £15m player. That's just the going rate for a player who is a bit better than the £15m player.

wZITckU.jpg

I don't see what travel distances have to mean in the overall context of a full season?

It's not like it's a particularly stressful experience for pros - they get looked after all the time, have to adhere to a certain sleeping pattern regardless (your fault if you don't look after yourself) and usually travel on a higher standard as opposed to your regular John.

The amount of games to be played could be a decisive factor in terms of fatigue or recovery, but travel distance?

Come on, some media folks are really desperate to make it look as if we're something special or somehow privileged because of 0 miles to travel (which in itself isn't entirely true, but who cares).

I don't see what travel distances have to mean in the overall context of a full season?

It's not like it's a particularly stressful experience for pros - they get looked after all the time, have to adhere to a certain sleeping pattern regardless (your fault if you don't look after yourself) and usually travel on a higher standard as opposed to your regular John.

The amount of games to be played could be a decisive factor in terms of fatigue or recovery, but travel distance?

Come on, some media folks are really desperate to make it look as if we're something special or somehow privileged because of 0 miles to travel (which in itself isn't entirely true, but who cares).

Ask any coast to coast business traveller in the United States about travel fatigue (physically, mentally) and they'll tell you. Domestic professional sports teams struggle with it constantly, especially on long road spells in sports like basketball and hockey.

Have you ever made one serious misjudgement in a high pressure situation?

no, not yet. and if I did I'd be punished, not "protected"

and if I made them repeatedly for years I'd be sacked given a shit reference and never be involved in the same industry again. like these clowns should be.

Ask any coast to coast business traveller in the United States about travel fatigue (physically, mentally) and they'll tell you. Domestic professional sports teams struggle with it constantly, especially on long road spells in sports like basketball and hockey.

I can see your point about travel in the US, but within Europe, time difference between locations is a minimal factor.

Kiev for Manchester City is two hours ahead, but that's it. They also have one game less to play than Spurs, so that should balance itself out neatly.

That's a bit different though mate.

Spurs have to make one trip to Italy and Man City have to make one trip to Ukraine and a couple to London.

It looks worse than it is.

Interesting point on that Travel in February graphic... i'd image the majority of our players will have clocked up at least a couple of thousand miles this week lol Dubai is a 9000 mile round trip for starters... 

Rooney out for 2 months.

Doesn't directly affect us. Could affect Utd against title rivals though...

Which means it does effect us. Man U still have to play against of all the title contenders. Arsenal play Manure in 10 days, Man City in a month, and Spurs in less than 2. All of those games are in the injury window.

Which means it does effect us. Man U still have to play against of all the title contenders. Arsenal play Manure in 10 days, Man City in a month, and Spurs in less than 2. All of those games are in the injury window.

yeah when I meant directly I meant playing us. He'll probably be back in time to play us. 

Rooney out for 2 months.

Doesn't directly affect us. Could affect Utd against title rivals though...

They'll probably play better/quicker now with Martial as the main striker up front - I reckon that slow build up play is purely to accommodate Rooney up front.

Hopefully they'll nick a few points off our rivals and then back to slow and boring football with a half fit Rooney when they play us!

Archived