Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2015/16 Stuff it in here.

You objectively couldn't be more wrong.

They're a team, it's not his job to make the call, it's his job to make sure the right decision is made and if his linesman sees something that he hasn't then fair play to him for trusting and awarding the decision.

He did see it and didn't give it.

First time I've seen it. Penalty for me. I think he's very unlucky but he's caught him in the box without getting near the ball. I'm struggling to see how it's not a penalty.

90 % of all challenges and tussles in the box for a corner or free kick are nowhere close to the ball, yet the physical contact is far more pronounced here. You basically have to be wrestled to the ground with both arms before you get anything. Yet here, with Benteke going nowhere and getting the lightest of touches, he 'anticipates' it (read: dives) and gets it.

It's up to the ref to judge if the tackle actually impeded the player, and on video evidence it clearly didn't. If the defender hits his foot causing Benteke's legs to tangle then fair enough, but his free foot takes a wobble, and that's it. It's a clear dive and that's what most of us want gone.

I can't understand why anybody's getting their knickers in a twist over it either way. It's a tough call.

Reminds me a bit of the Mahrez one at Arsenal which a lot on here were adamant was a pen.

Yes, it's a tough call and I can forgive the referees giving it. Both of them have tricky angles making it difficult to see, although I assume the assistant had the best view. In replay it's pretty darn obvious he goes to ground at the touch of a feather, which clearly wouldn't happen anywhere else on the pitch or early in the game. It's annoying that pundits (especially stupidly biased ones) say that's a blatant penalty when it very clearly isn't. That's what gets my proverbial knickers in a twist.

I was on here saying mertesacker shouldn't have been sent off when there was less contact than the Benteke incident.

Mertesacker dived in made no contact and Costa threw himself to the floor, everyone on here said red.

Delaney slid in, made contact and Benteke threw himself to the floor, surely that is more of a foul than Mertesacker who missed.

You slide in like Delaney did, even if you try to pull out, you will be penalised if there is contact, and the amount of contact isn't important, if he had stayed on his feet and made similar contact I wouldn't call it a penalty but sliding into someone's feet is a foul, Benteke was impeded by this action, even if only slightly that makes it a foul because Delaney has no reason to be sliding on the floor.

Archived