Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2015/16 Stuff it in here.

The point is that it doesn't matter how many fans they have or how big their bank balance is.  The fixture was painted as a big deal because "ermergerd berg clerbs" when in the context of the football these clubs have been serving up this season that tie was no more enticing as a footballing spectacle than Prague-Lazio.  Now perhaps you may see the merit in tuning in to a match because club x has a wage budget of y where y>most other clubs' budgets combined but without the football to match I certainly don't.

Nobody said that it would be the greatest game ever or anything like that, only that they are the biggest two clubs in England and probably the biggest two clubs outside of Spain and Germany in the world.

Nobody said that it would be the greatest game ever or anything like that, only that they are the biggest two clubs in England and probably the biggest two clubs outside of Spain and Germany in the world.

I'll give you Man Utd but you could argue quite reasonably that  Man City, Chelsea, and even Arsenal are all bigger clubs than Liverpool in terms of global fan base, income, club value, % attendance - all things on which a clubs' current 'bigness' tend to be judged and which tend to overrule a clubs' historic trophy haul, see; Leeds, Notts Forest etc.

Annoying that they are clearly putting all their efforts into the prem, but at least they still have to play another game.

Getting dicked won't help at all either.

You could argue doing that might end up putting bigger pressure in the players mind for their league games given they've gone "all-in".

But given all their main side travelled, I'm not sure how much 'gain' the Spuds have gained from this apparent rotation.

I'll give you Man Utd but you could argue quite reasonably that Man City, Chelsea, and even Arsenal are all bigger clubs than Liverpool in terms of global fan base, income, club value, % attendance - all things on which a clubs' current 'bigness' tend to be judged and which tend to overrule a clubs' historic trophy haul, see; Leeds, Notts Forest etc.

Global fan base Liverpool are streets ahead of Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea. Attendances it's much for much, when their new stand is built they will go closer to Arsenal and Man City but all would sell out week in week out if they had the same capacity.

The only think the other 3 have over Liverpool is recent success, for me Liverpoool and Man Utd are the two biggest clubs in England and only rivalled by Barcelona and Real Madrid on a global scale.

At the minute on the pitch they are not great, but this doesn't change their overall popularity and history.

Global fan base Liverpool are streets ahead of Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea. Attendances it's much for much, when their new stand is built they will go closer to Arsenal and Man City but all would sell out week in week out if they had the same capacity.

The only think the other 3 have over Liverpool is recent success, for me Liverpoool and Man Utd are the two biggest clubs in England and only rivalled by Barcelona and Real Madrid on a global scale.

At the minute on the pitch they are not great, but this doesn't change their overall popularity and history.

Much as I hate this kind of debate because it's almost impossible to legitimately quantify these things I'm pretty sure you overestimate how much support Liverpool have around the world these days, certainly compared to those 3 clubs.  Arsenal and Chelsea in particular have disgustingly large fan bases. Unfortunately for Liverpool the sort of fan who picks a club for their success quickly loses interest when they realise their team are subject to the same perils of competitive sport as 'lesser' clubs and they struggle to even qualify for the Champions League so a large chunk of them have migrated to Chelsea and Man City in the past decade.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5iLL57puZPM

This is Liverpool in Melbourne last year, Chelsea also came later in the year, they were not even close to the same levels of support, I find here in Australia Liverpool to be by at the best supported English team.

This is based both on people I talk to and going out to watch games in bars, almost certain to be a full house at pubs showing the game for a Liverpool/ man Utd game.

Arsenal / Chelsea not so much and Man City no better than an average mid table premier league team.

I think you under estimate the loyalty of overseas fan bases, a lot follow teams that have been passed down from their parents in a similar way to how it is in England and stand by their team

He'll do well to get a decent job again

I was thinking the same. But i think his stock's still pretty high in Holland. Maybe an AZ Alkmaar or a Heerenveen would have him, if you consider that decent.

Can't imagine a Prem or Champ club touching him with a barge pole. I bet his wage demands are pretty steep too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5iLL57puZPM

This is Liverpool in Melbourne last year, Chelsea also came later in the year, they were not even close to the same levels of support, I find here in Australia Liverpool to be by at the best supported English team.

This is based both on people I talk to and going out to watch games in bars, almost certain to be a full house at pubs showing the game for a Liverpool/ man Utd game.

Arsenal / Chelsea not so much and Man City no better than an average mid table premier league team.

I think you under estimate the loyalty of overseas fan bases, a lot follow teams that have been passed down from their parents in a similar way to how it is in England and stand by their team

I don't believe I do.  Australia definitely has a well documented large Liverpool following but the world is larger than Australia and you're mistaken if you think that's representative of their global popularity.  As you can see there's no justification to the phrase that: "[Liverpool are one of] the biggest two clubs [...] outside of Spain and Germany in the world" which is the point I was contesting in the first place.  I'm not saying they don't still have more fans than most other clubs, it's just that most places don't even have them in the top 3 anymore going by that link.

By the way that clip's from 3 years ago, we're in 2016 now.

Archived