Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Brenfox

Most overrated & underrated games.

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else's opinions are. Both my choices are fairly recent.

Most overrated

The Last of Us.

I have tried several times to get into this but I just can't. I find the combat terrible & the game itself to be very slow. I know it's considered a great but I found it to be very average.

Most underrated

Dying Light

This is normally not my kind of game but I loved everything about it. Hacking Zombies for fun never gets old & for an action game I found both the story & the voice acting top notch.

Great idea for a thread :thumbup:

Most overrated

Red Dead Redemption.

I just couldnt get into this game at all. I found the horse riding incredibly boring. I guess at the time when it came out i was in love with GTA so much that i just couldnt get past the lack of cars and decent guns. I would probably like the game now as i seem to get on ok with the Witcher but i dont think i will ever try it again.

Most underrated game (theres a few)

Skies of Arcadia

As RPGs go this is one of the best stories ive ever had the pleasure of playing through. I had it on Dreamcast and couldnt put it down. Im a big RPG fan and always love a game that takes a long time to complete. This had everything, Visually looked good, battle system was turn based which i have always preferred, loads of different characters but the story for me was brilliant. Still to this day i havent found another person who ever played this game. Please tell me someone on here has played it.

Few other mentions

Paper Mario thousand year door

God of War 3

Dragon Quest 8

Metroid Prime 3

Overrated: 

Any Call of Duty after Modern Warfare 2. 

Same game, reskinned over and over with very little discernible difference. Yawn.

Underrated:

Thief, Thief II. (NOT the god-awful XBox One remake)

Absolute masterpieces. The perfect stealth games... Brilliant, innovative, intelligent game mechanics. Tons of depth, style, and they still hold up today.

I really enjoyed The Last of Us, but I agree that some of the fans go over the top with how good it is. The ending was very bleh to me. 

Underrated:

BF Hardline - I think it is really really fun and the story mode is probably the best one a BF game has had IMO. It is a nice change from some BF4 maps that were just too big for PS4, and you're running across a whole map just to get ran over by a car. EA/whoever's fault for bringing it out so early and then making a "battlefield Hardline Premium" when the BF4 community is already so big. Most gamers will never give it a chance because it has been slated so much, whereas if it was a BF4 DLC it would be popular. 

The last of us is probably one of my favourite games ever due to the atmosphere, story and music. The gameplay is alright but tbf I think it does play second fiddle to the rest of the game

I gotta agree that overrated must be the more recent additions to the call of duty franchise. Unimaginative and know that they'll get sales no matter what they do.

Struggled to think of underrated as I don't really know how much a game is rated but in the end I settled for one. Underrated for me is Assassin's Creed Unity. This game got massively slated for being buggy. I personally never experienced a single glitch in my game and the gameplay and story was much better to the two previously (which weren't really up to the standard set by the original ones). I thought it was finally a move back in the right direction and hopefully it continues with the next one.

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else's opinions are. Both my choices are fairly recent.

Most overrated

The Last of Us.

I have tried several times to get into this but I just can't. I find the combat terrible & the game itself to be very slow. I know it's considered a great but I found it to be very average.

Most underrated

Dying Light

This is normally not my kind of game but I loved everything about it. Hacking Zombies for fun never gets old & for an action game I found both the story & the voice acting top notch.

:o  The Last of Us is awesome, especially the story. If you weren't gripped from the opening scenes ( :cry:) then I don't know what story would.

I've seen better game play, but I like how you don't just have unlimited ammo - you actually have to conserve it and pick your shots rather than just having an unlimited supply. Whether I'd feel the same way on the 'hard' setting, I don't know :D

And I love the ending:

Mainly because it doesn't go the way you expect. You expect Joel to be the hero, Ellie to be saved and humanity to be restored to normal. Instead, Joel acts out of complete selfishness, but you can understand it on a human level because he cares so much for her. Superb ending.

:o  The Last of Us is awesome, especially the story. If you weren't gripped from the opening scenes ( :cry:) then I don't know what story would.

I've seen better game play, but I like how you don't just have unlimited ammo - you actually have to conserve it and pick your shots rather than just having an unlimited supply. Whether I'd feel the same way on the 'hard' setting, I don't know :D

And I love the ending:

Mainly because it doesn't go the way you expect. You expect Joel to be the hero, Ellie to be saved and humanity to be restored to normal. Instead, Joel acts out of complete selfishness, but you can understand it on a human level because he cares so much for her. Superb ending.

I quite liked the ending to The Last Of Us as well tbh, the part with the giraffe was nice, and the unexpected twist at the end got you thinking a lot about the characters and their motives. The part in the Diner was disturbing as well, but extremely satisfying when it ended.

Anyway, overrated: 

Minecraft (seriously I got bored after half an hour)

I can sort of see why it would appeal to some, but its popularity has me baffled. I tried it for a couple of hours and was bored to tears

Overrated:

Fallout 3

Assassin's Creed series

Smash Bros series

Any post-SNES Mario Kart

All Megaman games

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Gears of War

Underrated:

Crackdown (the first one)

Outlaws (never got the attention it deserved)

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (honestly never played a better beat-em-up since, gameplay was impeccable but it never gets mentioned anymore)

The Last Of Us was the most fun I've had playing a game for ages. And that includes it's sometimes very bad gameplay. But a fantastic storyline, that gripped me. So TLOU for me is not overrated for me. CoD has gone downhill after the modern warfare and blk ops ended, so ghosts and AW, are over rated.

I have absolutely no idea which games are (over/under)rated. Any contribution by me would basically be "games my friends have hyped but I don't get" and "games I discovered that no-one else seemed to get or wanted to try".

Great shout, button mashing dog dirt.

Like all fighting games Its only button mashing if your shit at it. Im not a massive fan of fighting games but there is certainly more skill to it other than just button mashing.

The most under rated game I've played in recent years is definitely Spec Ops: The Line. Absolutely brilliant game, if you go in to it thinking it's just another bro shooter you're in for a surprising treat.

Lone Survivor also a brilliant game not many people have heard of, very eerie.

Gravity Rush, my favourite Vita game but don't think it reviewed particularly well for one reason or another.

Alan Wake, loved it.

Over rated, Uncharted 3, good game but basically Uncharted 2.5 and the story was a joke.

Anything Assassins Creed - they are literally the dullest games imaginable to me

All the CoD's

GTA4 and GTA5, GTA5 was really good but the sales/reviews etc, it's nowhere near that good and GTA4 is just straight up rubbish.

Halo games, so dull.

The most under rated game I've played in recent years is definitely Spec Ops: The Line. Absolutely brilliant game, if you go in to it thinking it's just another bro shooter you're in for a surprising treat.

Lone Survivor also a brilliant game not many people have heard of, very eerie.

Gravity Rush, my favourite Vita game but don't think it reviewed particularly well for one reason or another.

Alan Wake, loved it.

Over rated, Uncharted 3, good game but basically Uncharted 2.5 and the story was a joke.

Anything Assassins Creed - they are literally the dullest games imaginable to me

All the CoD's

GTA4 and GTA5, GTA5 was really good but the sales/reviews etc, it's nowhere near that good and GTA4 is just straight up rubbish.

Halo games, so dull.

Gravity Rush on Vita a big fat YES. Brilliant game. Alan Wake was another game i really enjoyed.

Halo i will +1 you for that. Absolutely woeful game series.

Over rated: Far Cry 3. Oh it's so deep and totes emosh, you totally feel the hesitation of the character as he slowly descends in to the chaos and violence around him, blah blah. **** off. Twenty minutes after an admittedly decent start I was blazing my way through the first outpost with a fully automatic weapon.

It's a tidy fps and a fun sandbox but let's not make it out to be anything more.

Under rated, or maybe more accurately, under played: Europa Universalis is easily the best strategy game ever made. Any version.

Under rated: Enslaved; odyssey to the west

Metro 2033

Spec Ops:the line (already mentioned above but seriously phenomenal)

Tearaway

Over Rated: Skyrim (good game but combat sucks)

GTA IV (fan of the series but I didn't find IV to be very fun)

Over-rated;

Skyrim: Shitty combat, shitty level up system, terrible story.

Half-life: was a pretty good game when it came out, but I remember getting bored and no-clipping my way through most of it. Not bad, but very over-hyped.

Halo 4: Reach dealt a slight blow to the Halo series, Halo 4 finished it off.

Any COD after MW2: As someone says above.

Red Dead Redemption: Horse Riding Simulator.

Fifa 14: Terrible.

Under-rated:

Unreal Championship: On the original Xbox, don't think I ever heard of anyone else playing it, but I'd love a game like that now. Never a big fan of Unreal Tournament, but the addition of 3rd person, special abilities and melee combat made it brilliant. Under-rated because I've never heard of anyone else playing it, and if had been popular would surely have had a sequel.

Vanquish: Bizarre, but actually very enjoyable.

Don't get all the Red Dead and Skyrim hate - guess some people need to be told what to do in a game.

Most OVER rated:

Halo - people splurge over this game and I've played through 1-4 and whilst it's enjoyable, it's just a fairly standard FPS that is no better than any other FPS.

Most UNDER rated:

Not really under-rated... recieved rave reviews... but it was never a big seller, despite being an amazing game. Ico, and to a lesser extent Shadow Of The Colossus. But then that's what you get for being new, innovative and different.

People just love run-of-the-mill.

Don't get all the Red Dead and Skyrim hate - guess some people need to be told what to do in a game.

Most OVER rated:

Halo - people splurge over this game and I've played through 1-4 and whilst it's enjoyable, it's just a fairly standard FPS that is no better than any other FPS.

That's a big assumption to make; after all Dark Souls is my favourite game, and Skyrim certainly has a lot more handholding than that.

What was good about Skyrim? On the plus side, the map was big and quite fun to explore. On the negative side, it was incredibly buggy, the main quest was short with terrible and generic story-writing, the quests are all very shallow and repetitive (go to same cave, kill Draugrs, repeat ) and the levelling up system is entirely broken. The combat is also incredibly boring and repetitive and the the loot system is dull as dishwater. Oh, and the dialogue is dull.

Red Dead Redemption I have less criticism of; as a game, it's much more polished, it just wasn't the sort of game play I enjoy, and found it a little dull. But Skyrim has so many flaws, that it's easier to name what's good about the game.

As for Halo, Halo 1, as a FPS, was an outstanding game for its time - the multiplayer was fantastic and the campaign was brilliant and memorable. Halo's 1 - 3 were incredible, and quite ahead of the competition; the rest go from average to disappointing. Halo, as an innovative games series, died a long time ago, but was rightly very popular in it's day.

Archived