Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Brenfox

Most overrated & underrated games.

Don't get all the Red Dead and Skyrim hate - guess some people need to be told what to do in a game.

Most OVER rated:

Halo - people splurge over this game and I've played through 1-4 and whilst it's enjoyable, it's just a fairly standard FPS that is no better than any other FPS.

Most UNDER rated:

Not really under-rated... recieved rave reviews... but it was never a big seller, despite being an amazing game. Ico, and to a lesser extent Shadow Of The Colossus. But then that's what you get for being new, innovative and different.

People just love run-of-the-mill.

For the record I played 100+ of skyrim. It is a good game. But that doesn't mean it isn't overrated.

Surely the most overrated has to be Fifa?

Not particularly overrated per se, more like the most underwhelming game - alongside most other EA Sports outputs.

You expect so much every single year with each new installment, hear about all those great new implementations and once you get to play it, there's a sense of great disappointment that it was all just part of one big marketing ploy, trying to sell a game instead of an experience.

Over-rated:

Red Dead Redemption - watching tumbleweed is boring.

Under-rated:

On 360 Lost Odyssey is a quality game.

On PS3 I always enjoyed the Resistance Fall of Man series of games - the online on the first one was decent.

Agreed with Resistance. It was the first online game that I ever played back when the PS3 was released. I always used to play the one shot kill modes. Taking out 6 people with a hedgehog grenade.  lol

For overrated, I would go along with GTA 4. It got a lot of perfect scores and my friends raved on about it but I got bored of it pretty quickly. No, I don't want to go bowling!

I'm not sure if it was underrated, but I can't remember a lot of people talking about Warhawk when it was released. A really fun online game with 4 player splitscreen. It had quite a steep learning curve, one that I never truly got on top of, but I spent many enjoyable hours on it. Probably has one of the toughest platinum trophies ever. 

Don't understand a lot of the Red Dead hate. The horse riding and sparse landscapes were all about the frontier atmosphere they were creating. MInd you I love cowboy films.

I always turn off the music in sandbox games, if you haven't tried it you should - it creates a very different environment and especially in so in Red Dead.

Shenmue is underrated , well maybe not underrated but those that have played it will understand.

The new Tomb Raider games are massively overrated and are just Uncharted Lara Croft dlc's.

I've never known anyone call Red Dead one of the best games ever or anything close so I'm not sure why overrated?

It's a tidy sandbox, certainly better than GTA. Then again, I grew up watching westerns, not wanting to be Tupac.

Nearly every game out there is overrated/overhyped.

Europa universalis probably the most underrated - probably because a game can take years!

The Last of Us is amazing.

Skies of Arcadia is a great shout. Had it on GameCube.

Yes im glad someone on here also played Skies of Arcadia. Loved that game 

I've never known anyone call Red Dead one of the best games ever or anything close so I'm not sure why overrated?

It's a tidy sandbox, certainly better than GTA. Then again, I grew up watching westerns, not wanting to be Tupac.

Red Dead got 10/10 in loads of reviews when it was released. Everyone was saying it was the best game ever made when it first came out.

Im glad theres a few people who also didnt like it. I just found it really boring.

I loved LA Noire on the 360, that seemed pretty underrated.

I've never got the hype surrounding the Halo franchise, found them repetitive and boring.

Whoever said Alan Wake further up, I salute you, the story was brilliant. Maybe the gameplay less so, but still a very solid game.

I loved LA Noire on the 360, that seemed pretty underrated.

Definitely. Never played another game like it, never played anything anywhere near as immersive and the face technology was out of this world - still not been matched 

Don't understand all the 7/10 reviews just because there wasn't any multiplayer or the shooting wasn't great, that wasn't the point of the game

Red Faction Guerrilla is another really fun and generally underrated game. Storyline isn't very strong but the gameplay and destruction makes it a great game to play. For me it's better than the game that proceeded it as well although I forget the name

Red Faction Guerrilla is another really fun and generally underrated game. Storyline isn't very strong but the gameplay and destruction makes it a great game to play. For me it's better than the game that proceeded it as well although I forget the name

lol Grab a rocket and see how far into the landscape you can go. Used to spend hours just blowing shit up

I can sort of see why it would appeal to some, but its popularity has me baffled. I tried it for a couple of hours and was bored to tears

Overrated:

Fallout 3

Assassin's Creed series

Smash Bros series

Any post-SNES Mario Kart

All Megaman games

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Gears of War

Underrated:

Crackdown (the first one)

Outlaws (never got the attention it deserved)

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (honestly never played a better beat-em-up since, gameplay was impeccable but it never gets mentioned anymore)

Ocarina of Time is underrated if anything, I only know about 2 people who've actually played it. In it's time incredible.

Ocarina of Time is underrated if anything, I only know about 2 people who've actually played it. In it's time incredible.

Brought it on release day (1997?,just before Christmas I think). Took me ages to finish it! Loved every minute of it and now my son plays it on his 3DS. Incredible game. For me, still not bettered after all this time

Ocarina of Time overrated lol At the time it was head and shoulders above any other game, concepts that had never been heard of before that are now in every single game were pioneered by it and it wasn't just an experiment, the gameplay and plot held up as well.

Over rated

Borderlands

Hitman (Modern)

Need for Speed (Modern)

Under rated

Max Payne 3

Shadowrun (360&PC)

Sleeping Dogs

Picked up MP3 for £3 a year after it was released, they had a stack of them new and unopened on the counter. The experience was a grim old man trudging around blasting countess goons with great gun play, terrific enviroment design and a good story and 8/10 easily.

Ive probably put a couple of thousand hours into Shadowrun in my gaming life, graphics do not matter, fun and the endless dynamics do. You get 4 different 'races' (human, troll, elf and dwarf), each has certain advantages and disadvantages over each other with perfect balance, the skillsets and weapons you get are varied and competitive. Never got old to me.

'Man who never eat pork bun is never a whole man' -  Story couldve been better, driving couldve been alot better but I had alot of fun

--------------

Certainly dont think Red Dead was a bad game, it was definitely more than a horse riding simulator, maybe abit clunky in player controls and not executed quite perfectly but definitely an 8/10+. Crackdown 1 was so much fun and I did everything on it rinsing it for years and occasionally dipping back in, gave up on 2 after the demo. Far Cry is a middle of the road series and 3 was a step up for them, a lush sandbox and a decent shooter with impressive player dynamics.

Ass Creed was a great franchise up until 3, and then it showed exactly what it was; a franchise. They squeezed features in & made a terrible story line, it was all roses before that. Gears 1 was never overrated, after that yeah; they shouldve adapted the original engine instead of striping it out, the story was above passable though (Judgement doesnt count as Gears). GTA IV wasnt shit, it was a bar raiser and set the standard for the next four years of gritty city games, for the time a groundbreaker executed perfectly, great DLC too. CoD got too rich and big business behind it, up intil MW2 it was great, Blopps was 'aight' though Zombies were great, after that I havent been arsed with it. Halo is nostalgic for me, I used to love the first two on the xbox, 343 aren't for me though.

Not starting on FIFA, I'll be here all night.

Definitely. Never played another game like it, never played anything anywhere near as immersive and the face technology was out of this world - still not been matched 

Don't understand all the 7/10 reviews just because there wasn't any multiplayer or the shooting wasn't great, that wasn't the point of the game

My main gripe with LA Noire was and still is that it doesn't offer that much when you look past the noir feel and the motion capture technology involved.

It is rather restrictive in its gameplay, the path up until the ending is all but given and the game leaves you little to no freedom to roam the city.

And there's few side missions to complete, too.

However, I do hope they manage to follow it up to with something more immersive.

Archived