Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Brenfox

Most overrated & underrated games.

Don't know why I didn't put this in my first post but Final Fantasy should of been put out to pasture a long time ago, yet people still buy it in their droves. Baffling.

People just like different games to you mate, they have other parameters

I knew a lad growing up who used to love Zelda, Final Fantasy, Ico, Turok, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Black and White; the lot, were talking 98-02 here and I never liked any of those games but understand people do and will. I dont get MMORPGs, strategy games like Starcraft but millions of people do, I give zero sh1ts as it doesnt effect my experience 

You appear to be misinterpreting me giving my opinion as stating a fact, very different things.

lol Alright

Thought you were just writing things off, I personally wouldnt do that if I'd neither played it or cared for it at some point

Silent Hill similar, was once spectacular and now, with Konami seemingly about to pull out of console gaming altogether, after some well below par entries and even more bitterly after how good P.T was, has gone the same way. But I wouldn't really say the recent Silent Hill games were over rated, they received very mixed opinions critically.

I've never known anyone call Red Dead one of the best games ever or anything close so I'm not sure why overrated?

It's a tidy sandbox, certainly better than GTA. Then again, I grew up watching westerns, not wanting to be Tupac.

It's one of the best ever games to me but I've not played the 90's and early 2000's classics like you lot, I guess a game like that is absolutely brilliant to an impressionable 13 year old.

lah blah 

I think some games are underrated by critics and the like because they question the depth blah blah blah but games aren't films, sometimes games where they are a bit corny are better than the AAA games because they're simply more fun.

Seems I'm definitely in the minority with Ocarina of Time. I was a massive fan of Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, OoT seemed to lack the magic of the previous Zelda games and with weaker puzzles and soundtrack. Considering it always ranks high up in lists of best ever games, I just can't see why.

Halo series - yes definitely overrated. It started off as a very good console shooter but hasn't moved on in years and really wasn't that special in the first place, just well crafted.

Half-life 2. Never understood its popularity, just an absolute bog standard shooter with an almost pointless grab mechanic. Actually felt like a step backwards after Half-life 1 was quite a breath of fresh air. Again, someone's going to point out I'm nuts but it's another one that got countless rave reviews and I personally can't see what it offered

More underrated:

Thrasher: Skate and Destroy. Although I'd still consider THPS2 the greatest skate game ever, Thrasher was a really great concept that went in a much more challenging direction and seemed to go by completely unnoticed. Probably hasn't aged well but the gameplay was sublime once you got the hang of it, hilarious multiplayer and a brilliant 80's hiphop soundtrack

XIII. Brilliant comic-style FPS with good stealth tactics. Just seemed to be a game that I played over and over and still enjoyed it

2 that are probably under rated simply because not heard anything about new console versions of either and 2 games I thoroughly enjoyed, Skate and Fight Night. Fvcking EA. Skate 2 is a masterpiece as far as skateboarding games go, Skate 3 was naff though so probably what caused it to get canned. Fight Night Champion was brilliant, UFC is just far, far too complicated for me to get in to, and judging by the demo I played not very good, either. Would love to get stuck in to new Fight Night and Skate games.

Think Dishonored was underrated a bit, top, top game.

Anyway, overrated: 

Minecraft (seriously I got bored after half an hour)

Agreed.

Under rated, or maybe more accurately, under played: Europa Universalis is easily the best strategy game ever made. Any version.

I don't think you can really say EU is easily better than any of the HOI series or Victoria or CK. They're all right up there and on a similar level depending on personal preference.

Under rated, or maybe more accurately, under played: Europa Universalis is easily the best strategy game ever made. Any version.

Great games, although as with most strategy games, the problem is the AI...

Underrated.

Kings Quest 3

Midwinter

Dune

Dune 2

Loved the Dune games! Not sure Dune 2 is underrated as such, it is widely recognised as the game that popularised the RTS genre.

Overrated: Halo series, Minecraft, COD series. Never saw the big wank fest over them games

Underrated: Need to have a proper think over that one

Great games, although as with most strategy games, the problem is the AI...

Loved the Dune games! Not sure Dune 2 is underrated as such, it is widely recognised as the game that popularised the RTS genre.

Correct. I've got a few versions and the problem is the AI. A multiplayer game with all human players would be awesome. Not sure how you'd do it. With good players the game would probably never resolve.

Dune 2 is indeed recognised as such by those who know their games but I still feel it was under rated at the time. There has perhaps been some revisionism with the benefit of hindsight.

I saw there was to be a kickstarter remake of Midwinter which could have been awesome but it seems to have all gone a bit quiet.

Correct. I've got a few versions and the problem is the AI. A multiplayer game with all human players would be awesome. Not sure how you'd do it. With good players the game would probably never resolve.

Dune 2 is indeed recognised as such by those who know their games but I still feel it was under rated at the time. There has perhaps been some revisionism with the benefit of hindsight.

I saw there was to be a kickstarter remake of Midwinter which could have been awesome but it seems to have all gone a bit quiet.

Would love to see a video of it being done! I imagine loads of backstabbing and unholy alliances with the field being narrowed very quickly to a handful of players. Utter chaos!

Have you tried playing Dune 2 again recently? I was reminded of how incredibly cumbersome the controls are. Coordinating troops, while building up/repairing the base and keeping an eye on the harvesters was really stressful!

I tried Dune 2000 too, but by that time it seemed quite outdated.

Never tried Midwinter though...

Depends entirely what you mean by under rated, there are people coming out with Grim Fandango, Shadow of the Col, Ico, Theif II etc

These are all games  that have a metacritic of about 90, so I don't get how they aren't rated.

under played or not sold as well as they should of maybe but you have to understand that the gaming market is made up of a lot more casuals these days. That's why COD and FIFA sell so well. Games  like that above have always been a niece

Over rated is quite simply GTA IV no matter which way you look at it, alright, but nowhere near worthy of the praise it got (Cousin, you want to go bowling?) NO FCK OFF

Ocarina of Time im surprised people are over rating. The game itself was revolutionary. Big 3D open world that hadnt really been seen before but more importantly was the 'Z' Targetting system. Any game that has the ability to lock onto a target has Ocarina of Time to thank.

The game is considered one of the greatest ever not just for the story and gameplay but for what it done to gaming as a whole and rightly so.

IMO even if you dont like the game you cant say its over rated as only a select few games ever get released that completely change the gaming industry.

Goldeneye is another one. Anybody that says that is overrated will get a royal slap. lol I still remember 4 player split screen proximity mines. FPS all have Goldeneye to thank

Ocarina of Time im surprised people are over rating. The game itself was revolutionary. Big 3D open world that hadnt really been seen before but more importantly was the 'Z' Targetting system. Any game that has the ability to lock onto a target has Ocarina of Time to thank.

The game is considered one of the greatest ever not just for the story and gameplay but for what it done to gaming as a whole and rightly so.

IMO even if you dont like the game you cant say its over rated as only a select few games ever get released that completely change the gaming industry.

Goldeneye is another one. Anybody that says that is overrated will get a royal slap. lol I still remember 4 player split screen proximity mines. FPS all have Goldeneye to thank

Half life and Half life 2 should be a slappable offence.

Goldeneye is another one. Anybody that says that is overrated will get a royal slap. lol I still remember 4 player split screen proximity mines. FPS all have Goldeneye to thank

I can still see a map of "the facility" in my head....

Not sure whether GTA IV was overrated or not, if it had a different title I'm sure people would think it was a great game, however it didn't live up to the previous titles and I think Rockstar did learn from their mistakes as GTA V is brilliant. I think the lead character being so boring didn't help and every mission was just about killing somebody with no real variety.

Winter in The Last of Us is possibly my favourite chapter in gaming ever. Masterpiece.

But i'm the 1st to admit that a great story with even better characters can blind me to actual gameplay. 

I guess thats why i loved L.A Noire, Red Dead & Heavy Rain

Winter in The Last of Us is possibly my favourite chapter in gaming ever. Masterpiece.

But i'm the 1st to admit that a great story with even better characters can blind me to actual gameplay. 

I guess thats why i loved L.A Noire, Red Dead & Heavy Rain

They all have superb game play if you ask me. Just slower paced than some would like.

Last of Us gameplay was brilliant in that it was simple enough to not distract from the story, characters and atmosphere. If people wanted groundbreaking function they were playing the wrong game.

When people criticise it and the first thing they say is about "gameplay" I just stop listening.

It's an interactive story more than a "video game", if that doesn't interest you then play something else but as a piece of art or theatre, it's pretty much unrivalled in the console world. Or, is right up to the last five minutes anyway, the ending annoyed me a little.

Only thing that came close for me, in recent years, was Bioshock Infinite which was about par for story and characterization though perhaps a little bit more ambitious than Last of Us, to its detriment.

I loved the story in Infinite, very Dark Tower which I'm a huge fan of, but the game play did bore me after about half way, wave after wave of enemies and not much else to it, but still a great experience. I actually thought the game play in The Last of Us was very good, crafting system was brilliant, but as mentioned so much more to it than that.

Archived