Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Samilktray

Charlie Austin £12m bid rejected

Massive difference here when you're drawing comparisons.

£5.5m for Akinbiyi

£1.6m for DJ Campbell

£4m for Beckford

Akinbiyi had no record whatsoever in the Prem.

DJ Campbell had no real record above League 1 before signing for Birmingham and didnt really do anything there before we bought him.

Beckford had flatteted to deceive at Everton and after being turned down by every other target, was a panic buy by Sven.

Austin scored shitloads for Swindon, Burnley and QPR at levels up to the Premiership earning an England call up.

Throwing money at sub-standard players will never work. But spend on quality, you have a different kettle of fish altogether.

When we've spent in the past, we've spent on the wrong players.

Austin and Kante are not in that bracket.

I cant imagine being a Leicester fan and hearing we're trying to sign one of the most highly rated English strikers for a club record fee and the overriding feeling is to think 'but what about when it didnt work before'.

This would be a good signing for money not unrealistic in the market we are in.

Now that one is a great post

Massive difference here when you're drawing comparisons.

£5.5m for Akinbiyi

£1.6m for DJ Campbell

£4m for Beckford

Akinbiyi had no record whatsoever in the Prem.

DJ Campbell had no real record above League 1 before signing for Birmingham and didnt really do anything there before we bought him.

Beckford had flatteted to deceive at Everton and after being turned down by every other target, was a panic buy by Sven.

Austin scored shitloads for Swindon, Burnley and QPR at levels up to the Premiership earning an England call up.

Throwing money at sub-standard players will never work. But spend on quality, you have a different kettle of fish altogether.

When we've spent in the past, we've spent on the wrong players.

I cant imagine being a Leicester fan and hearing we're trying to sign one of the most highly rated English strikers for a club record fee and the overriding feeling is to think 'but what about when it didnt work before'.

This would be a good signing for money not unrealistic in the market we are in.

This

good job the owners have some ambition as

Upgrade on ulloa ?

Is this a new manager signing?

Id take him all day long....

Right age , always scores goals.

You are only as good as your strikers!!

Strikers get you goals, defense wins titles!

All depends on what you're longing for.

Personally, I think we ought to stabilize our defense and midfield first before pondering any move for a new decent striker - who would be the fifth or even sixth in that department.

When Harry Kane is touted as being worth £30m+, £15m for a superior English striker must be a good deal. 

Just struggle to see why we need another forward unless one of the main ones are off which would be a shame.

Confusing times.

Call me crazy or say Ulloa is just one of my favourites (which he is), but I'd rather have him than Austin.

We would sell Ulloa for what? Anymore than 10 million? So we'd lose 5 million for what? Austin who is 3 years younger and scored a few more goals? And being worse off at defending set-pieces?

Would much rather use that 5 or so million on a RB, CB, or CM.

If anything, especially with Pearson gone, why is no one saying we should sell Vardy instead, hasn't it been said that Okazaki is a similar player?

Guest MattP

What the Southampton model that includes spending 10s of millions of pounds on players over the last 3 years and the Southampton model that also includes being interested in Austin. Deary me

I'd say the Soton model is selling vastly overrated English talent for big money and then replacing it with cheaper and better options from the continent - combine that with a brilliant youth system and you're probably onto a winner.

Southampton made a profit last summer. It was outrageous business from them to improve the squad and secure the club financially.

Call me crazy or say Ulloa is just one of my favourites (which he is), but I'd rather have him than Austin.

We would sell Ulloa for what? Anymore than 10 million? So we'd lose 5 million for what? Austin who is 3 years younger and scored a few more goals? And being worse off at defending set-pieces?

Would much rather use that 5 or so million on a RB, CB, or CM.

If anything, especially with Pearson gone, why is no one saying we should sell Vardy instead, hasn't it been said that Okazaki is a similar player?

I think the obvious one is to sell Nugent. Always been decent for us but Vardy and Ulloa have key strengths which Nugent doesn't and I also think Nugent would be easy to offload for an ok price.  That would leave us with Ulloa, Vardy, Okazaki, Kramaric and Austin and with Okazaki potentially played in a deeper role similar to Mahrez.  What a strike force that could be!

I wouldn't worry too much about saving few million here and there. We are in the richest league in the World and I think we all need to get used to the fact that we are on a totally different budget to what we have ever been used to. Not to mention, our owners are rich! Spending money doesn't always have to be a negative thing, especially when it could potentially be on players like this!  

Guest MattP

I can certainly see the optimism for Austin but let's be honest we have no idea about Kante.

He's even being pretty open that he doesn't want to come here, he could be a new Cambiasso or he could be a Gelson Fernandes.

I think the obvious one is to sell Nugent. Always been decent for us but Vardy and Ulloa have key strengths which Nugent doesn't and I also think Nugent would be easy to offload for an ok price.  That would leave us with Ulloa, Vardy, Okazaki, Kramaric and Austin and with Okazaki potentially played in a deeper role similar to Mahrez.  What a strike force that could be!

I wouldn't worry too much about saving few million here and there. We are in the richest league in the World and I think we all need to get used to the fact that we are on a totally different budget to what we have ever been used to. Not to mention, our owners are rich! Spending money doesn't always have to be a negative thing, especially when it could potentially be on players like this!  

Of course Nugent would be the weakest link, but unless we really are going to be playing with 3 strikers, Nugent would be a good "5th choice striker".

And I'm not too worried about saving a few mil here or there, but if there is a limit on the budget (which there surely has to be) I just think it'd be wiser to improve in other positions, whether that means bigger transfer fees and/or offering higher wages. Though I don't know the wages he is on, I suspect they are not too high and so would also like to see Mahrez be given a new contract with another year. Maybe the same for Schmeichel.

I can certainly see the optimism for Austin but let's be honest we have no idea about Kante.

He's even being pretty open that he doesn't want to come here, he could be a new Cambiasso or he could be a Gelson Fernandes.

Gelson Fernandes was a good player. Just the wrong one for us at that timepoint. I spoke to a few scouts who came to watch us In that period and they all said he was 'out of his league and comfort zone'

Very true, we know little about him.

His stats are impressive and many who watch him regularly and do know about him say he's the new Jean Tigana which is an awesome endorsement.

To use comparisons as before with the spending managers before in this position:-

Lee Marshall - £600k

Stephen Clemence - £1.2m

Yuki Abe - £3m*

Cant imagine Kante isnt better than any of those 3.

*Couldnt remember any other midfielder that was actually bought under Sven.

Johnson (loan)

Danns (Free)

Fernandes (loan)

Bruma (loan)

Let's not overplay this business about defending set pieces. He's decent at it but it should be a minor factor in a main goalscoring striker. I'm sure Austin could do it too.

Maybe. But for a main goalscoring striker, who would you rather have... 18 goals with 3.7 shots per game (and 5 assists)... or 11 goals with 1.3 shots per game (and 3 assists)? Maybe I didn't watch QPR enough last season, but I just don't value Austin as better than Ulloa.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2014/2015/leonardo_ulloa/165/126/10242/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/charlie_austin/126/126/10903/0/p#goals_scored/assists/key_passes/chances_created/total_duels_%/avg_pass_length/pass_completion#total

Maybe. But for a main goalscoring striker, who would you rather have... 18 goals with 3.7 shots per game (and 5 assists)... or 11 goals with 1.3 shots per game (and 3 assists)? Maybe I didn't watch QPR enough last season, but I just don't value Austin as better than Ulloa.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2014/2015/leonardo_ulloa/165/126/10242/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/charlie_austin/126/126/10903/0/p#goals_scored/assists/key_passes/chances_created/total_duels_%/avg_pass_length/pass_completion#total

I think it could be more to do with how prolific he has been throughout his career as well. 216 goals in 350 appearances compared to Ulloa's 126 in 339.  Don't see why we can't have both anyway. Similar style players yes but injuries and dips in form always have to be accounted for.

For a main goalscoring striker, would I rather have a player with 18 goals and 5 assists or 11 goals and 3 assists? Erm...

Guest MattP

I think it could be more to do with how prolific he has been throughout his career as well. 216 goals in 350 appearances compared to Ulloa's 126 in 339. Don't see why we can't have both anyway. Similar style players yes but injuries and dips in form always have to be accounted for.

To be fair I think Ulloas goalscoring record would look a lot better as well if he had played up front for Hungerford and Poole Town at that level.

I rate Austin and think he's an excellent player, there is no doubt other positions on the pitch need addressing for this sort of money before the attack though.

For a main goalscoring striker, would I rather have a player with 18 goals and 5 assists or 11 goals and 3 assists? Erm...

So you prefer someone who scores less per shot?

That's like saying you prefer Ulloa over Ronaldo because his goals per shot last season was better.

Archived