Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Samilktray

Charlie Austin £12m bid rejected

Heard Palace's chairman on the radio, and apparently they approached QPR about CA. Words to the effect of: "he wants something above us." Realistically, I don't think we are above CP at present.

Chelsea, Spurs?

We are the only ream above CP at present.

This wouldn't be a good investment simply because I think we'd have to change our game completely. He's a good striker but would he have been as effective as Vardy and Okazaki yesterday? I doubt it. We're a pressing team and he's not a pressing forward.

Austin is a decent (old style centre forward) finisher but I still can't see one of the 'big' clubs going for him, if Nugent does go to Boro it might be worth a punt on him but I think it could mean we lose Ulloa as he needs game time too....

Up the City.....

This wouldn't be a good investment simply because I think we'd have to change our game completely. He's a good striker but would he have been as effective as Vardy and Okazaki yesterday? I doubt it. We're a pressing team and he's not a pressing forward.

I agree, but are Vardy and Okazaki clinical enough, suppose only time will tell.

Austin is dreaming if he thinks he can play for a top 4 side.

Danny Ings has gone to Liverpool. Technically not a top 4, but a club that could challenge. So, its not out of realms of possibility. I could see him at Spurs or even Everton.

My guess he'll look towards an established Prem side, minimum of Stoke etc...

He's getting too big for his boots even hodgson played vardy before him v Northern Ireland !!

I have to agree, call me ignorant but wasn't last season his first decent showing in a decent league? Swindon and burnley before that in crap leagues and before that some other low end teams. Having said that like I've said before if our budget is big enough I'd call him a pretty safe gamble.

I'm all for Austin. We are missing a clinical striker and he fits the bill. Can you imagine how many we would have had if we'd been feeding him on Saturday? Game would have been well and truly over by HT.

I really like Okazaki and Vardy was great but can we count on them to score goals all season? Remains to be seen I guess.

I wouldn't read much in to the top 10 team comments. The longer this goes on, the more he'll realise he won't get to a top 10 club. If he were going to, it would already have been done.

I think he'll soften his stance. We may not be Tottenham but we're definitely not QPR.

I'm all for Austin. We are missing a clinical striker and he fits the bill. Can you imagine how many we would have had if we'd been feeding him on Saturday? Game would have been well and truly over by HT.

I really like Okazaki and Vardy was great but can we count on them to score goals all season? Remains to be seen I guess.

Who would be feeding him? Sure Mahrez & Albrighton got some balls in to create chances & people are overlooking Drinkwater who had the most passes in opposition half

But it's the hardwork & never-say die endevour of Vardy & Nugent (now Okazaki) that sees all the chances created. Swapping one of them out for an Austin, or Defoe may not see us competing at a level where we're in a position to create all those chances

From Burnley to QPR; and they both came up and went down at the same time. If the big boys did want him they would have done business already so maybe he is overpriced.

I'd rather throw the millions at Inler or another worldy CM.

If we're interested in Austin, I think the money for him would come from the abortive purchase of Aranguiz - not Inler.  If reports were correct, we were offering around £12m for Aranguiz - almost exactly the price QPR are looking for Austin.  For Inler, we're talking £4.5m.  If Aranguiz does go to BL, we must have £12m or so available for Austin - over and above what we're likely to be paying for Inler.  Plus, of course, there'll be funds coming in from the sale of Nugent - and the probable sale of Ulloa, who must be surplus to requirements if we sign Austin (and we'd get roughly what we paid for him - around £8m).   

the club have previously said we are not interested in Austin. He doesn't seem to want to move very far from the south and even then seems to want an established club. We wouldn't use £12m earmarked for a midfielder we need desperately on a striker that is not a priority. I'm pretty sure this thread will get locked when he goes elsewhere so in my opinion, probably not worth too much debate in the meantime :-)

If we're interested in Austin, I think the money for him would come from the abortive purchase of Aranguiz - not Inler.  If reports were correct, we were offering around £12m for Aranguiz - almost exactly the price QPR are looking for Austin.  For Inler, we're talking £4.5m.  If Aranguiz does go to BL, we must have £12m or so available for Austin - over and above what we're likely to be paying for Inler.  Plus, of course, there'll be funds coming in from the sale of Nugent - and the probable sale of Ulloa, who must be surplus to requirements if we sign Austin (and we'd get roughly what we paid for him - around £8m).   

Oh, so the money is there and if all goes well; do you have a preferred choice?

Aranguiz

Inler and money to spare.

Austin

Or another worldy CM

I think Austin is perfect for us and represents a step up from what we've got, continual improvement is what we need and this is a clearly an opportunity for that. It's also someone we've got more than no chance of getting!

That takes some doing.

We have absolutely no need for him unless we sell Ulloa.

Under Pearson I think we were setting up to have the 3-4-1-2 as our "go to" formation and having 5 strikers would have made sense in that scenario - 5 of them fighting for 2 spots and also a spare in case Mahrez got injured (where Kramaric or Okazaki could fill in).

Under Ranieri I expect us to a be a lot more flexible tactically (not a dig at Pearson at all but I did find any changes in formation to be reactive rather than proactive and the one time he was proactive (the diamond) he ballsed it up). I also expect the 3-4-1-2 to be used far more sparingly than it would have been under Pearson and the 4-4-1-1 to be used pretty frequently.

In a 4-4-1-1 there is no need for 5 strikers. Even if 3 of them get injured at the same time (which seems incredibly unlikely) we can still play Mahrez in behind the front man.

Effectively Austin would merely be an upgrade on Ulloa - a player who I think is most likely to be used in a "horses for courses" way this season, playing in games where we need an extra physical presence in both boxes. We don't need 2 of them in the squad.

The London Evening Standard reports that QPR will offer Charlie Austin a new deal if no one meets their £15m asking price in this transfer window.

The 26-year-old striker has just one year left on his current contract and has attracted attention from a number of clubs.

"We are now into the season and want to settle our side down as quickly as possible," said QPR director of football Les Ferdinand. "It's not good for the club, it's not good for Charlie — it's not good for anyone.

"The price is still £15m and the only firm bid that has come in is still from Leicester. Everyone feels that bids are going to come in for him, it's just a matter of when. But if a club doesn't pay the fee, then we will offer him a new contract to get him to stay."

Archived