Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

fractions and excel.

Hi. Basically starting a betting challenge and want to know if I can get Fractions to stay as fractions rather than going to 1.5 which should be 6/4 some fractions actually stay as fractions such as 4/11, 1/3 5/6 etc. Any help would be appriciated

For the cells in question, Set the format as 'Custom' and type in '##/##' as the format.

Should work for most fractions that you'll be dealing with for betting challenges. Possibly might need extra #s, I havent tested.

Edit: After a (very) quick test, it looks like it round the fractions to comply with the number of #s you use. Try going for more in the custome format and it might get around the issue...

For the cells in question, Set the format as 'Custom' and type in '##/##' as the format.

Should work for most fractions that you'll be dealing with for betting challenges. Possibly might need extra #s, I havent tested.

Edit: After a (very) quick test, it looks like it round the fractions to comply with the number of #s you use. Try going for more in the custome format and it might get around the issue...

Thank you Xen!

Am I right in saying l fractions are displayed now as '4/11'

'3/10', 6/4 changes to 3/2 but that is Ok I suppose :)

As far as I know, excel always simplifies any fraction entered. The only way around it would be to format individual cells and specify the denominator. 

Thank you Xen!

Am I right in saying l fractions are displayed now as '4/11'

'3/10', 6/4 changes to 3/2 but that is Ok I suppose :)

You're welcome!

Excel is pretty much my second language right now thanks to work, so happy to try and help with this sort of thing.

I love reading threads like this.. its like learning a different language, bloody google needs to update its translate option to include excel speak :)

Just wait until you start getting onto Macros to automate things - the VBA code you need literally IS another language :S

A damn useful one, mind.

Xen. Am I right in saying the Fractions are displayed as '4/11', '5/6', '2/1' or should the ' be there?

Ohhh sorry, misunderstood the question before.

Take the apostrophes out of the format and they'll go away :) I only put them in my original post as a 'quote' mark - bad habit I've got into... lol.

Ohhh sorry, misunderstood the question before.

Take the apostrophes out of the format and they'll go away :) I only put them in my original post as a 'quote' mark - bad habit I've got into... lol.

Ok cheers mate lol

If you want to stop it changing 6/4 to 3/2 for example, then just stick one of these at the start when you're typing in your cell:

'

For example:

'6/4

Doing that means that it displays anything in the cell exactly as you write it. I've no idea if this has been covered already but it's gone 2am and my brain is having a bit of a break.

If you want to stop it changing 6/4 to 3/2 for example, then just stick one of these at the start when you're typing in your cell:

'

For example:

'6/4

Doing that means that it displays anything in the cell exactly as you write it. I've no idea if this has been covered already but it's gone 2am and my brain is having a bit of a break.

But then won't it display it as text and not be able to be calculated as a fraction within formula

Archived