Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Mobile Dongle Problem

I've got a 3 Three ZTE mobile Pay as you go dongle.

Unfortunately I tried to install it on a Windows 8.1 laptop, I'd already had it working on an old laptop with Vista and Win 7

So I found out it wouldn't work so got a Win 8 driver but cannot install this.

I've tried uninstalling the 3 software it but it still shows in the list of programmes

Ignoring this and assuming it's actually uninstalled when I try to install the Win 8 driver it asks me if I want to uninstall the 3 sw it then repeats the uninstall process.

So I seem to have a vicious  circle

I've looked for any evidence of it existing on my PC and the only thing I can find is a programme called ZTE 1.2059.0.8. I've tried uninstalling this but it says it's already uninstalled

I've been in touch with 3 but they don't seem to be able to help. I've even considered getting a different dongle but as they seem to use this ZTE programme I doubt they'd work.

I've looked at using the system restore but it doesn't go back that far.

Any ideas on how I can get rid of this and start again?

Apologies for the essay but I wanted to give all the info.

I've got a 3 Three ZTE mobile Pay as you go dongle.

Unfortunately I tried to install it on a Windows 8.1 laptop, I'd already had it working on an old laptop with Vista and Win 7

So I found out it wouldn't work so got a Win 8 driver but cannot install this.

I've tried uninstalling the 3 software it but it still shows in the list of programmes

Ignoring this and assuming it's actually uninstalled when I try to install the Win 8 driver it asks me if I want to uninstall the 3 sw it then repeats the uninstall process.

So I seem to have a vicious  circle

I've looked for any evidence of it existing on my PC and the only thing I can find is a programme called ZTE 1.2059.0.8. I've tried uninstalling this but it says it's already uninstalled

I've been in touch with 3 but they don't seem to be able to help. I've even considered getting a different dongle but as they seem to use this ZTE programme I doubt they'd work.

I've looked at using the system restore but it doesn't go back that far.

Any ideas on how I can get rid of this and start again?

Apologies for the essay but I wanted to give all the info.

Thought you could choose your own date on system restore? I can...  back up your files..then you might have to go back to factory settings ..

Thought you could choose your own date on system restore? I can...  back up your files..then you might have to go back to factory settings ..

It would seem after checking on the Internet that it depends on how much disc space has been allocated for it as it deletes older stuff every time you do stuff on it, ironically it's  gull of all the times I've  tried to uninstall  the 3 stuff.

Factory settings  would take away all the stuff I've  uploaded and all the setting up I've  done which has been an absolute nightmare with this win 8 wouldn't  it?

It might be time to make the move from mobile dongle to mobile wifi. Three sell them for about 50£ i think (i know that's what vodafone charge). You can stick your sim card straight in and it produces a wifi signal out of the 3 data instead of a wired one like the dongle. This way you won't have any compatibility problems in future. It's a bit of an investment but dongles really are becoming antiquated now.

It might be time to make the move from mobile dongle to mobile wifi. Three sell them for about 50£ i think (i know that's what vodafone charge). You can stick your sim card straight in and it produces a wifi signal out of the 3 data instead of a wired one like the dongle. This way you won't have any compatibility problems in future. It's a bit of an investment but dongles really are becoming antiquated now.

I'm  not sure anything will work whilst I've  got this ZTE file on my pc

I only use it when I'm  away from home on holiday I've  got bt for my normal home broadband. 

I would be surprised if it didn't as it connects in exactly the same way as regular home broadband so theoretically, if you can connect to your BT at home you can connect to this too. Popular models are the R207 (3G) and R215 (4G). I know it's not an answer to your overall problem but it could circumvent it entirely.

Thanks for your views, I've managed to get it working by using a free uninstall piece of SW called Revo which does a deep uninstall,

Why don't  Microsoft have programmes like this in their products?

Archived