Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leftbackinthechangingroom

Retro/older console gaming

http://www.retrocomputermuseum.co.uk/

The Retro Computer Museum in Leicestershire, UK

The Retro Computer Museum is a registered charity dedicated to the benefit of the public for the preservation, display and public experience of computer and console systems from the 1960's onwards. Our charity registration no. is 1146912.

Our main focus is on systems that were in use in the home and schools rather than big computer systems and mainframes of early computer development. We have systems ranging from the early Pong consoles through to the Sega and Nintendo console wars and the home computers of the ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64s and Amigas.

Our aim is to provide Retro Gaming and Computing events and access to retro computer equipment for educational visits and tours. We also offer Retro Gaming Birthday Parties for any age group - young or old!

The Retro Computer Museum has held many Retro Gaming events of its own to date, including partnership events with Snibston Discovery Museum. The Retro Computer Museum has also made appearances at the 2010 Vintage Computer Festival at Bletchley Park, Abbey Pumping Station Hobbies and Pastimes Day, BBC Radio Leicester for the Sparks Childrens Charity and participating in the 2010 EuroCon event in Manchester with a
line-up of British computers.

The Retro Computer Museum relies mainly on donations from its members and visitors. We have had over 200 systems donated as part of our collection, along with numerous books, software titles, peripherals, magazines and brochures etc.

We appreciate any and all donations, no matter how small. We also accept broken machines and peripherals as these can be used to repair existing systems. Please contact us if you feel you have something we may be interested in.

Still got my N64 and PS2,

When I think back to the sheer number of games I used to own its quite gutting that I no longer have them. A mate of mine still has his original SNES, PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2 and PS3 in their original boxes in his loft!!

I remember trading in my Mega Drive with two controllers and 15 (FIFTEEN) Mega Drive games and getting £75 for it in 1998 :( I thought it was a great deal and got second hand Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto and brand new France 98 game. Looking back I was robbed 

I went through a phase of amassing a considerable collection, Master System 1 + 2 with about 200 games, boxed controllers. Also had Megadrive, Gameboy, Game Gear, GBA, Dreamcast. Sold all them, got a Saturn and a bunch of PS1 and PS2 games I'm still trying to clear out

I did enjoy owning the physical games but never really played them so it was pointless holding onto them.

If anyone wants PS1 or PS2 games (all boxed with manuals) let me know, only asking for £1 - £3 for them and I've got a few 

I was going to start a collection but realised it would cost an absolute wedge so decided to stuff it. I do however have an original NES, it needs a new 16 connector socket which the cartridges plug into but they only cost a tenner and are a doddle to fit.

I also know of someone with an absolute mint N64, still boxed with plastic wrappings etc... he wanted £60 for it but I turned it down.

EDIT: It's also worth noting as well there is an exhibition in that "HOLE" of a city called Nottingham where you can play retro games, it's like £8 an adult for the day but it's really good. You can go in for free and play some games but the rest of it looks good, worth checking out.. right in the city centre too.

I'm a fairly obsessive retro gamer,I've got an Atari jaguar,most of the Segas ,snes,gamecube,n64 and a few others it's become really expensive to collect stuff though and decent car boot finds are few and far between so I'm concentrating on my dreamcast collection for the moment.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone used a cracked XBox with Coinops?

A friend has one and I've gotta say, for someone who still loves retro games... It's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKdRUDFL_YY

I fitted a modchip to an original Xbox back in the day and installed XBMC (now called Kodi), it was a while ago but remember having a shed-load of cracked games on it too. Hours of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it odd that I still consider Xbox rather new and modern?

Not at all. It was only a couple of years ago that the original XBox and the PS2 was the last generation.

When I think of retro, I'm thinking mainly 8-bit and 16-bit - Master System, Spectrum, Amiga, SNES, etc.

Archived