Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller in Tights

Plaudits for our Atmosphere, let's keep it up

12 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I agree there ain't much atmosphere at any ground. I laugh when I see fans of clubs trying to argue on the internet (I mean other fans in general on twitter etc) who has the better support, who takes more here and there, who has the better atmosphere.... I can't remember the last time I went to an away game and came out impressed with the home fans. Sky build up Stoke, Palace etc so much yet when I go it's exactly like how we feel about our own home games... quiet, lack of atmosphere etc. 

The atmosphere has been dire since the ground opened. There was a two or three year spell - when we first got clappers - when it was a better. Last season it seemed to revert back to how it was though. But I don't know how it can be improved. I don't like clappers either but if you take them away then the people that do bang them somewhere aren't going to get involved/make noise anymore, and as I've said before we've got this problem where small pockets (ie L1 and Union FS) sing different songs. I sit in the middle of SK2 and I have previously heard different songs at the same time. Even at away games I've heard a small group singing something different to another group. In an ideal world it'd be better to have all the small pockets together but then we go back to the whole "lets swap the Kop" thing.

I dunno about people leaving early, mind. I thought the Family Stand emptied quickly on Saturday but I dunno about the rest of the ground. (Probably because I'm facing that way I focus on that more). 

The ground in general is dull though. I was walking upto the ground Saturday knowing that the club would have taken the massive "Champions" banner down and I was hoping they'd stick Lineker back up (that was there previous with all the old players) but in reality knew I'd probably see King Power instead. When I got there I don't actually think they've put anything up lol ... Went to Arsenal last week - walking up to the ground and around the ground it's just covered in old players. All the way back from Brady through to Fabregas. Why can't we have that? We're not a massive club but we've got a good history - Lineker, Shilton, Revie, Banks in particular are well known names in football. We've won league titles, played in FA Cup finals, won a few league cups which nothing anywhere near the ground suggests.... I was looking around the top banner in the ground itself and just see more "King Power". Ergh. 

Yeh except the atmosphere didn't improve when we first got clappers. We first got clappers against Watford in our final home league game of 2013 - our atmosphere was dire in that match. We also had them in the play-off semi which wasn't much better apart from the first 10 minutes.

People try to rely on gimmicks like clappers to improve our atmosphere but guess what, you can have all the clappers in the world and not one of them will sing a song. The majority of people clap when we score or win a corner or make a good pass - but what are those clappers doing the rest of the time? What are people doing away from home when there are no clappers? In fact, what are the clappers doing when the person can't be arsed to use them?!

And what were clappers doing last season when the atmosphere was mostly average and, by our recent standards, poor? That's right, they were sat there whilst our fans wallowed in self-pity at the huge fvck up we'd made of a great position by going from Champions to relegation strugglers. Clappers didn't save Claudio.

What people need to realise is the only thing that really makes a difference to the atmosphere is the attitude of the fans. I'm fed up with people moaning about it when only a handful of people actually actively get involved. Performance on the pitch obviously affects that, but it shouldn't affect it that much.

I've been to plenty of games at our ground where the atmosphere has been incredible, lots of them well before clappers. So it's not a question of clappers improving the atmosphere. The fact is, the ground was never consistenly loud until we started winning all the time. The first game of the great escape was West Hame at home. Yeh there were clappers that day. But there was also a collective will of management, players and fans that we were going to win that game. The support was amazing that day and it's the one game where I'm convinced we carried the team over the line. Only people can do that, not inanimate objects.

For the next year or so we had the bit between our teeth. Everyone was massively up for every game. That was why our atmosphere was so good.

One thing Union FS do is consistently create noise. They are commited to creating noise and with that, have played a massive part in improving the atmosphere. Far more than anything the corporate side of the club has done. If everyone had that attitude, we'd be there.

The thing that rings most true from the quoted post it that this is not just our problem, it's a problem up and down England.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Thank you, feel slightly ashamed that I didn't remember. I was only 9.

I was 7 and pretty sure that I'm in the photo of Gordon outside Town Hall Square. I remember being on my Dad's shoulders.

18 hours ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

18 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Yeh except the atmosphere didn't improve when we first got clappers. We first got clappers against Watford in our final home league game of 2013 - our atmosphere was dire in that match. We also had them in the play-off semi which wasn't much better apart from the first 10 minutes.

People try to rely on gimmicks like clappers to improve our atmosphere but guess what, you can have all the clappers in the world and not one of them will sing a song. The majority of people clap when we score or win a corner or make a good pass - but what are those clappers doing the rest of the time? What are people doing away from home when there are no clappers? In fact, what are the clappers doing when the person can't be arsed to use them?!

And what were clappers doing last season when the atmosphere was mostly average and, by our recent standards, poor? That's right, they were sat there whilst our fans wallowed in self-pity at the huge fvck up we'd made of a great position by going from Champions to relegation strugglers. Clappers didn't save Claudio.

What people need to realise is the only thing that really makes a difference to the atmosphere is the attitude of the fans. I'm fed up with people moaning about it when only a handful of people actually actively get involved. Performance on the pitch obviously affects that, but it shouldn't affect it that much.

I've been to plenty of games at our ground where the atmosphere has been incredible, lots of them well before clappers. So it's not a question of clappers improving the atmosphere. The fact is, the ground was never consistenly loud until we started winning all the time. The first game of the great escape was West Hame at home. Yeh there were clappers that day. But there was also a collective will of management, players and fans that we were going to win that game. The support was amazing that day and it's the one game where I'm convinced we carried the team over the line. Only people can do that, not inanimate objects.

For the next year or so we had the bit between our teeth. Everyone was massively up for every game. That was why our atmosphere was so good.

One thing Union FS do is consistently create noise. They are commited to creating noise and with that, have played a massive part in improving the atmosphere. Far more than anything the corporate side of the club has done. If everyone had that attitude, we'd be there.

The thing that rings most true from the quoted post it that this is not just our problem, it's a problem up and down England.

I genuinely believe that the majority of fans don't care about an atmosphere and even less care about helping to create one.

Not just at Leicester but at every English club.

It's a uniquely English (not British) 'problem'.  Maybe its the success of the premiership, maybe the high ticket prices bring a different 'type' of fan to games, maybe its the English reserve?

I used to think it's because the new grounds have diluted the fans who want to create an atmosphere but over the last decade lots of clubs have designated certain areas for fans to improve atmosphere but it's made little difference.  Most fans just stand in silence and more concerned about flicking the v's or just sing 'who are ya' after their teams scored.

It seems to be a cultural problem, a football culture lost over the last couple of decades that will be impossible to get back.

• Like 3

Guest CityFan 06

Liked a comment on Twitter from someone, who said on Saturday with the flags etc it felt like Filbert Street in the 80s. Our scene looked quite good at Filbert Street from the clips I've seen, and at the old Wembley.

1 minute ago, CityFan 06 said:

Liked a comment on Twitter from someone, who said on Saturday with the flags etc it felt like Filbert Street in the 80s. Our scene looked quite good at Filbert Street from the clips I've seen, and at the old Wembley.

I don't remember doing the mass of coordinated flags thing at Filbert Street. It was more about balloons and paper storms.

2 minutes ago, CityFan 06 said:

It was much better than that! In the 80s we used to get about 8,000 fans and were rancid.

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It was much better than that! In the 80s we used to get about 8,000 fans and were rancid.

Yeah but if you used pen 2 you could pick up your entry fee or get it sergically removed from your head for the next game. Oh the good old days lol 

10 minutes ago, Sampson said:

3 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Yeah but if you used pen 2 you could pick up your entry fee or get it sergically removed from your head for the next game. Oh the good old days lol 

You can't knock the 80s because apart from the dwindling attendances, violence, dodgy shorts and dodgy perms the rest of it was shite aswell lol 

9 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

You can't knock the 80s because apart from the dwindling attendances, violence, dodgy shorts and dodgy perms the rest of it was shite aswell lol 

Who's knocking it as the kop song used to go.

Those were the days my friend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

I don't remember doing the mass of coordinated flags thing at Filbert Street. It was more about balloons and paper storms.

....and chucking coins at the away fans from the top of the double decker...* :ph34r:

Never the greatest marker, but it sounded decent on TV on Saturday. Hopefully there's a trend towards better away ends this season.

Man United's end didn't sound terrible either mind. Of the bigger clubs, I've always thought they're the most consistent home fans.

On 22/8/2017 at 18:26, purpleronnie said:

I genuinely believe that the majority of fans don't care about an atmosphere and even less care about helping to create one.

Not just at Leicester but at every English club.

It's a uniquely English (not British) 'problem'.  Maybe its the success of the premiership, maybe the high ticket prices bring a different 'type' of fan to games, maybe its the English reserve?

I used to think it's because the new grounds have diluted the fans who want to create an atmosphere but over the last decade lots of clubs have designated certain areas for fans to improve atmosphere but it's made little difference.  Most fans just stand in silence and more concerned about flicking the v's or just sing 'who are ya' after their teams scored.

It seems to be a cultural problem, a football culture lost over the last couple of decades that will be impossible to get back.

It might be worth looking to the Bundesliga where most of the stadiums have a very good atmosphere. Been to Dortmund for a league match and the atmosphere was awesome. Could we learn something from what they do? It is a fact that they have much lower ticket prices than in the PL which probably allows especially young people to attend and whip up the atmosphere. I´m pretty convinced that at least in certain areas of the stadiums the spectators stand which also helps the atmosphere.  

• 2 weeks later...

Atmosphere was dire today.

When we got a goal back it was better for about 5 minutes and then back to being flat. Anyone would think we were 4-0 down and not chasing an equaliser against the Champions.

The whole club feels like it's accepted mid table mediocrity.

Said to my son just before kick off - it's so flat compared to two seasons ago. The pre game is too stretched out, the screen show of past glories too long. Uptown funk used to get the crowd going and then birch had his two minutes then kasabian followed by the horn as the boys walked out 

it used to be that the opposition fans couldn't be heard from the west stand before the game got going and we generally started fast so the atmosphere stayed up for the first five mins at least. Happy times !!

On 22/08/2017 at 18:24, sylofox said:

So I wasn't the only kid that stayed behind to collect the kindly donated money lol 

Think it was £2 or 2.50 when I started going, could make that, and stop at the shops on the way home lol