Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller in Tights

Plaudits for our Atmosphere, let's keep it up

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Barmy that people were streaming out with five minutes to go in a game we had every chance of getting something out of. We're a spoiled fanbase now.

"Now"? 

Win, lose or draw there have always been and will always be people that leave football matches early. 

I don't particularly get it either but it's not a new phenomena or one that's unique to us. 

• Like 2

Yeah our atmosphere is shite now. Normally when we need a goal and they announce 4 minutes, it'd be met with a roar but there was nothing. 

Also the amount of fans getting on players' backs is getting worse, as if they're owed 3 points every week. Literally calling the same guys that won us the league *****.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Time to get rid of the clackers, I don't recall hearing them on Saturday,

The new ones this season. Although better quality material and have a players stats on them each game (I'm assuming they will do a different player each week), they are wider and quieter. I think they are harder to use and therefore not used. Personally I don't mind them and use them on occasion when my hands are red raw from regular clapping.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

What was the atmosphere like at the ground on Tuesday? For most of the match I only heard Liverpool fans on my stream. Not sure if it was just something to do with mic placement.

Shocking as usual.

The fans - not the club - really need to decide if we want a singing section. 

This is probably the worst atmosphere I have experienced at the ground ever. L block no longer exists as a singing section. The so-called Kop and that 'little corner' that the away fans can't even see let alone hear, was non existent on Tuesday.

The family stand seems to have a better atmosphere most of the time.   I say move  the family stand next to the away fans. 

we never had the best atmosphere in any of the leagues we were in  but we never had the worst either... until now maybe. 

• Like 1

Our atmosphere was best when we played fast, free-flowing exciting football and took the game to teams. The crowd always felt we would get something. 

Now we sit back and soak it up and people don't get excited about that. 

I know that's not how it should work but that's how it does work.

Boring on the pitch, boring in the stands.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, I blame Wellens said:

Shocking as usual.

This is probably the worst atmosphere I have experienced at the ground ever. L block no longer exists as a singing section. The so-called Kop and that 'little corner' that the away fans can't even see let alone hear, was non existent on Tuesday.

The family stand seems to have a better atmosphere most of the time.   I say move  the family stand next to the away fans. 

we never had the best atmosphere in any of the leagues we were in  but we never had the worst either... until now maybe. 

It's already next to the away fans? 

• Haha 1

Wasn't at either Chelsea or Liverpool, think Chelsea was the first game home I'd missed in about 5 years so it's a proper London bus effect lol did watch both games on TV though. We were massively outsung both times. I get that they're both quite vocal sets of away fans but we're without a doubt in the Stoke category now of "had" an atmosphere, so we've probably got a few years of where's your famous atmosphere if we don't sort it out.

Get rid of the clappers, get some proper organisation in terms of who goes where* and start enjoying the ****ing games again.

* Seriously, if we are expanding this ground which by all accounts we are, this is a huge opportunity to re-arrange things for the better. We completely ****ed it up first time around for organisation in terms of atmosphere so we have a second bite at it here. Get the singers together.

• Like 2

The atmosphere on Tuesday was awful.

when the ground first opened I used to stand with a few mates at the back of the L block. We had a couple of seasons of being told to sit down and threats of taking our season tickets. Eventually the L block developed into a decent singing section which gave the away fans as good as it got.

We then moved when that stupid drum was placed at the back of the L block. We hated it, always over used, always went on and on, always at the wrong pace.

we moved to the back of the family stand close to the away fans. To be honest it's been ok there and at times the atmosphere has been really good.

On Tuesday we tried the G block up at the back next to the Union FS lot as we had a few extra with our group.

We always wondered if it was the acoustics of the ground that meant that we couldn't hear the 'Crazy corner'.

Well clearly IT's NOT.

The corner and the rest of the Kop were shocking. Song repertoire was appalling. One attempt at When you're smiling (sung at the usual ridiculous fast pace) which was terrible.

in conclusion, sad to say, but with the L block near silent now and a 'Kop' the away fans can't hear!  it's actually down to the family stand to make an atmosphere!

Very sad, I have always enjoyed live football for the whole experience, which definitely includes an atmosphere.

Sorry, I have no answers, just very disappointed.

17 minutes ago, Weller in Tights said:

when the ground first opened I used to stand with a few mates at the back of the L block. We had a couple of seasons of being told to sit down and threats of taking our season tickets. Eventually the L block developed into a decent singing section which gave the away fans as good as it got.

We then moved when that stupid drum was placed at the back of the L block. We hated it, always over used, always went on and on, always at the wrong pace.

we moved to the back of the family stand close to the away fans. To be honest it's been ok there and at times the atmosphere has been really good.

On Tuesday we tried the G block up at the back next to the Union FS lot as we had a few extra with our group.

We always wondered if it was the acoustics of the ground that meant that we couldn't hear the 'Crazy corner'.

Well clearly IT's NOT.

The corner and the rest of the Kop were shocking. Song repertoire was appalling. One attempt at When you're smiling (sung at the usual ridiculous fast pace) which was terrible.

in conclusion, sad to say, but with the L block near silent now and a 'Kop' the away fans can't hear!  it's actually down to the family stand to make an atmosphere!

Very sad, I have always enjoyed live football for the whole experience, which definitely includes an atmosphere.

Please don't judge the Kop on Tuesday. I'd guess that 50% of regulars across the Kop were missing and replaced with non-ST holders who knew no songs/weren't willing to sing or were actually Liverpool fans. 

I do agree with you though it was woeful. Hopefully better tomorrow.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Wasn't at either Chelsea or Liverpool, think Chelsea was the first game home I'd missed in about 5 years so it's a proper London bus effect lol did watch both games on TV though. We were massively outsung both times. I get that they're both quite vocal sets of away fans but we're without a doubt in the Stoke category now of "had" an atmosphere, so we've probably got a few years of where's your famous atmosphere if we don't sort it out.

Get rid of the clappers, get some proper organisation in terms of who goes where* and start enjoying the ****ing games again.

* Seriously, if we are expanding this ground which by all accounts we are, this is a huge opportunity to re-arrange things for the better. We completely ****ed it up first time around for organisation in terms of atmosphere so we have a second bite at it here. Get the singers together.

I'd be stunned if any fanbase sang that to us. We got plaudits from Sky quite a bit, but on the whole fans just focus on the fact we have clappers. 

Completely agree that we should use the ground development to change things though. However, I think the only way it could work would be to say whichever tier they add on is the 'singing' section. I'm not sure many singers would want to be in the upper tier.

9 hours ago, I blame Wellens said:

Shocking as usual.

Let's face it, it was good between 2015 and 2016 becasue we were winning. Anyone else it our situation would have been as good if not better. 

Also, where do you sit/stand, out of interest? 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Weller in Tights said:

Well clearly IT's NOT.

I think judging a new part of the ground based on a league cup match on a Tuesday night is a bit silly really, the whole of the ground, SK1 included was a morgue Tuesday night for various reasons that are all pretty obvious. 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba

I think the players need to give us something to cheer or latch on to as well. When you're getting completely dominated or can't string more than 2 passes together the crowd gets frustrated.

It's hard to get a chant or some atmosphere going when everyone around you is moaning. As soon as we can get it pressing game going and up our game the crowd will get going again.

The atmosphere is never really that great until we're winning anyway or it's an important game.

The home atmosphere has nosedived.

I suppose since that West Ham home game where they brought the clappers in and things really kicked off, we've always been playing well or had something to play for. Now, we're playing pretty average football and look destined for midtable mediocrity and it is more difficult for fans to get 'up for it' en masse. We're expected to beat half the teams in the league and hold our own against the big teams now too, so that underdog seige mentality has gone.

Hopefully it's better on Saturday- evening kick off will help, extra couple of hours at the pub and that.

The atmosphere is shite this season, I fully expect the Liverpool fans to outsing us on Saturday.

I know it's been said time and again, but if you separate the vocal support around the ground (some in L block, some in the Kop, some in the Union FS corner) it's always going to be quiet and disjointed. United we stand, divided we fall etc etc.

I agree fully with Dan. When the ground is extended, we need to re-organise and get all of the vocal fans together (the dream would be within a standing section).