Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

WYSIWYG

How does everyone feel about the whole coding vs wysiwyg debate?

Personally I prefer a visual design approach over writing lines of code, but I understand the technical limitations of that method. Currently there's a real lack of quality wysiwyg design tools, but imagine that situation will continue to improve over the next few years.

Not being a pro like some on here who have learned their craft over many years, I have to use a designer app. In my case it's Adobe Dreamweaver.

The beauty of it is that once the designer mode has the main pages and the style sheets set out, I find it easier to edit or tweak the script.

Was going to say what Bruce did, this is nothing knew, there's been Web design packages for years. I used Dreamweaver a lot in my youth.

Generally speaking, the best websites have always and probably will always be made by those who know how to code them up from scratch.

A friend and I started designing websites about the same time. I used Dreamweaver and paint shop pro to make superficially pretty but shallow designs and he taught himself html.

Suffice to say, I now work in a dull office and he's a self employed and successful Web designer.

I'm going through a coding bootcamp at the moment. Some of it is quite useful, but a lot of times I find myself wondering why i can't just slap this together in a design programme in 5 minutes and be done with it. I plan on sticking with learning code, but not so much for building sites as for the ability to troubleshoot and build custom apps.

I'm sure feature loaded sites with a lot of interaction and responsiveness will always be best done by proper developers, but DIY builders like squarespace, wix, weebly etc have given amateurs the ability to make some pretty slick websites without any coding. Or design experience, for that matter.

I tried Dreamweaver and found it a bit muddled. Would like to have Adobe Muse, but not keen on the monthly contract.

I'm going through a coding bootcamp at the moment. Some of it is quite useful, but a lot of times I find myself wondering why i can't just slap this together in a design programme in 5 minutes and be done with it. I plan on sticking with learning code, but not so much for building sites as for the ability to troubleshoot and build custom apps.

I'm sure feature loaded sites with a lot of interaction and responsiveness will always be best done by proper developers, but DIY builders like squarespace, wix, weebly etc have given amateurs the ability to make some pretty slick websites without any coding. Or design experience, for that matter.

I tried Dreamweaver and found it a bit muddled. Would like to have Adobe Muse, but not keen on the monthly contract.

Depends on what site you want... If you just want a blog then WYSIWUG and all the weebly, wix etc as mentioned are good. If you want a more developed site that looks unique then you want to write code (or pay someone that can do it).

What coding bootcamp you doing? I still use CodeAcademy. No harm in it for me, even as a web developer, and I'd recommend it. I believe they've just introduced HTML/CSS which would be a good start if you're wanting to learn.

Depends on what site you want... If you just want a blog then WYSIWUG and all the weebly, wix etc as mentioned are good. If you want a more developed site that looks unique then you want to write code (or pay someone that can do it).

What coding bootcamp you doing? I still use CodeAcademy. No harm in it for me, even as a web developer, and I'd recommend it. I believe they've just introduced HTML/CSS which would be a good start if you're wanting to learn.

I'm using codeacademy as well. I've only done about 10 hours on it, and I've taken a break while I prep for my tefl course, but I'll definitely get back into it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Web Developer and use Dreamweaver as a coding environment, but never use the design tools.

I just find the code highlighting to my liking and then there's the shortcuts for various html bits, like creating tables for data.  I mean who has time to create html tables from scratch.

Plus it's visual environment is good when i'm creating html emailers for clients.

But, even if you're using a wysiwig for designing sites, you still need to know the code, so you can debug/amend it

Archived