Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Vardy called up for England!

I agree with the sentiment that he'll struggle to be picked again. However he does hav some fans in the national media, Ian Wright seems to hold a candle for him. In the post match interview he was singing his praises to Roy.

I thought he did well, all things considered.

I agree with the sentiment that he'll struggle to be picked again. However he does hav some fans in the national media, Ian Wright seems to hold a candle for him. In the post match interview he was singing his praises to Roy.

I thought he did well, all things considered.

Probably because Wrighty knows the game, unlike most people that base their opinions of players by their rating on FIFA. 

Tough game for Vardy, not helped by a very poor Luke Shaw behind him. Awful pitch and his fellow England players seemed reluctant to pass the ball to him second half.....

Up the City.....

Totally agree, there were several occasions where Shaw could have played a ball down the line where Vardy had made space without it being a risky ball (and woy said he'd instructed them to play that way anyway) but instead opted for safe square and backwards passes. Maybe Van Gaal has coached him into that mindset which would be a shame as he looked a bright prospect as an attacking full back.

Thought Vardy done ok first half, but not so much second half, but as i said yesterday, this was never going to be a game for Vardy to shine, with no space in behind, and also playing out of his favoured position wouldn`t have helped him either.

It`s not like he missed any chances, because he never had any.

Not that i expect that he will get the chance, but if he was playing against one of the better international sides, that we were counter attacking against, and he could play more to his strengths, i think he would shut alot of people up.

Sadly the knives have been out for Vardy from within the national media, and also fans of other clubs, that basically know sod all about him, because they don`t see him every week, right from the time of his first call up, and i don`t expect him to be picked for too many more squads.

The only thing he can do, is keep performing well for us, hopefully add a few more goals to his game, which of course will happily benefit us, and make it practically impossible for him to be ignored, although i`m sure there will still be plenty out there wanting to take a snipe at him!

Good post sir.

Tough game for Vardy, not helped by a very poor Luke Shaw behind him. Awful pitch and his fellow England players seemed reluctant to pass the ball to him second half.....

Up the City.....

Thought Shaw played very well?

Probably because Wrighty knows the game, unlike most people that base their opinions of players by their rating on FIFA.

He definitely stands out amongst the usual bland clichè filled pundits whenever he makes an appearance.

Maybe it was me but Jamie didn't look like he was enjoying it much and seeing as the other strikers all seemed to get in the goals he looked like he'd just run out of steam towards the end.

Wasn't his night but not just him though. Milner was shockingly poor, clumsy challenges and giving it away and Shelvey just sat there spraying the ball around to no-one in particular. His pass completion must've been less than 50%. Stones....£40M? Jeezus. Clyne is no more an international right back than I am.

I've barely watched England since they surrendered in 2010 and I think I might leave it another 5 years if that's the best they can do.

He definitely stands out amongst the usual bland clichè filled pundits whenever he makes an appearance.

Ian Wright is just as bad as the rest of the bunch the only reason he has to give Vardy any credit is because he came up through Non league like Vardy. As a Leicester fan you would be bias to say he played well but he was played  out of position so it is what it is.

Ita not an attack from me, but he didn't seem to take half of his game into that England side yesterday. It was also very apparent if you watch it back, he is almost letting other players around him go for the first ball, or move into space before him.

In a Leicester shirt, its him that's chasing the lost cause or trying to steal a yard.

Hopefully if he gets another chance then he can show more of what he is about.

On last nights showing, younger prospects are more likely to be blooded going into the championships.

No one knows what Roy told him to do or not do which could have had a big effect on the way he played.

Also games like this show up how technically poor many England players are as they're  exposed and forced to have more possession and play a more tactical game in order to get around packed defences.

I felt a bit sorry for him. Bit of a fall guy by following apparent orders to keep the width. Same with Oxlade-Chamberlain - was so clear they had been told not to be tempted to drift inside where there was already a packed defence.

Within the parameters Roy set, first half I thought he was excellent. Did everything very effectively and simply. Kept the ball moving and won a few corners etc.

Second half wasn't great. I wanted him to demand the ball more but I think he showed too much respect to his teammates. Still, he worked hard and I don't think that will go unnoticed with Roy. If he continues to play well for us, he'll be in the next squad.

No one knows what Roy told him to do or not do which could have had a big effect on the way he played.

Also games like this show up how technically poor many England players are as they're  exposed and forced to have more possession and play a more tactical game in order to get around packed defences.

i think we need to wait until tuesday to see if roy has any particular ideas in mind re JV.  he could be thinking about using vardys pace and fitness to occupy a full back (ie preventing him being too progressive) and also to stretch the game by forcing the opposition defence to sit deeper which gives england's midfield more space to operate in. how many teams will play a high defence if JV is running diagonals off the wing? that forces them to drop deeper and consequently any tactical tight game is less compressed. i expect switzerland will be happy to take a point so if this is in his mind, would expect to see vardy start again. if he doesnt, then you could argue that away from home it could help prevent the marauding right back being too confident. if thats not on the agenda then suspect jamie"s international career will be a brief one.

If Vardy stands any chance of going to Euro 2016 he first needs to demonstrate that he can adapt to Roy's plans, which may mean staying out wide, but it also means being more effective out wide. Roy's teams don't play like we do. If the full backs are going to play it short and keep possession he can't hang on the shoulder of the defender and hope for the ball over the top, he has to come deeper get more involved further down the pitch.

Roy also has to understand Vardy's best assets and allow him to play to them, it is getting in behind the defenders and attacking with speed, to do that we need someone to play him in, you also need pace to keep up with him as he wont be able to do it all himself. He also needs the freedom to be a pest, it is so unnerving for a defender that is used to having time on the ball to build from the back to be constantly closed down quickly, again Vardy can't do this on his own, otherwise he will end up all over the place chasing ghosts and knackered by the 30th minute.

Yesterday was a chance for him to stake a claim but it was also a shit match against shit opposition on a shit surface.

I'm hoping that on Tuesday we are at 1 goal up with 20 minutes to go and Switzerland are putting us under pressure, that is the dream scenario for Vardy, plenty of space to get in behind the defence as they look for a goal. Then England will see what he can do.

I just really hope none of this affects his confidence.

Archived