Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Vardy called up for England!

Easy to say that it's against San Marino but that's just a lazy way of looking at it. He's a limited forward, but what things he can do, he can do exceptionally - if we aren't even going to try and make the most of that then don't bother picking him. He thrives on space behind the defence - you aren't getting that against San Marino.

Sadly though I think even in those circumstances he ought to have done a bit better. I did wonder if it was just my bias shining through but it did look like the others weren't ever passing to him.

I think its quite obvious. England simply do not play as a team. We aren't a unit, just individuals which is why we will never win anything. We need a manager that can bring the team together and get them fighting for one another.

Step up Pearson!!!

Correct.

Vardy's a forward with limitations, being asked to play a role that isn't suitable to those limitations. It's poor from Hodgson.

Hodgson has been to a few matches at the King Power and probably see's him as we do; when we have less possession. His off the ball work in this particular match was good dragging parts of that bus away from goal and trying to open space for others. Roy may not have a job this time next year so he is definitely looking at what Jamie can do and we will find out his intentions next match.

Correct.

Vardy's a forward with limitations, being asked to play a role that isn't suitable to those limitations. It's poor from Hodgson.

Maybe hodgsen is just getting him used to playing for England. I'm sure he knows that as soon as we get to a touno and start playing higher quality sides than San morino, were going to have to defend a lot more. Taking vardy will allow him to play counter attacking football. England's downfall for a number of years, probably since Owen, is that we're far too predictable, other countries know that the way to beat us is sit back , let us run round and wear ourselves out . Vardy will give us an oppotuneaty to play a more European style.

Whatever. If he played for forest you would be calling him a vile racist individual.

Thanks for your assumptions. I assume (if you can hear us from up there) you've never done or said anything bad in your life?

Embarrassing string of posts.

I think its as others have said, when your main strength is direct running and pace, i think its natural you wont look great in a team thats having bags of possession and therefore the tempo of the play has been slowed down, and youre playing against a team that thinks playing a high line is the 18 yard line.

If anything i think its poor from Hodgson. Saw that we were playing San Marino and just chucked a mishmash or players into the team knowing that it was likely we would win simply by creating a few individual moments and just having more efforts on goal.

With a fully fit Walcott and Sterling i dont see how Vardy will be anything other than possibly an impact player though off the bench. Maybe.

I think its as others have said, when your main strength is direct running and pace, i think its natural you wont look great in a team thats having bags of possession and therefore the tempo of the play has been slowed down, and youre playing against a team that thinks playing a high line is the 18 yard line.

If anything i think its poor from Hodgson. Saw that we were playing San Marino and just chucked a mishmash or players into the team knowing that it was likely we would win simply by creating a few individual moments and just having more efforts on goal.

With a fully fit Walcott and Sterling i dont see how Vardy will be anything other than possibly an impact player though off the bench. Maybe.

Totally agree.

It's such a stupid fixture. A fixture where valid criticisms are made after winning 6-0 is quite frankly a fixture that shouldn't take place.

It's like you've not watched the last 20 games he's played. I can understand someone looking in from the outside - a supporter of another club for example who has not seen much of him - making a statement like this.

Aside from the pace angle, I don't see anything in your post to be true of Vardy now. He has improved every aspect of his game over the last 6 months and his stats in terms of assists and work rate knock the other 'contenders' into a cocked hat.

He's the man in form a therefore deserves his chance you muppet!

'You Muppet' Ok mate thanks for that.

How did he play?

I go back to something I mention yesterday, did anyone pick up on what Ian Wright said before the match? He said something like he had noticed it didn't seem like Vardy had been accepted and he seemed to be on the edge of the group.

Yes, he'd been watching the training videos and spotted it.

Vardy was ok in the first half when all the play came down the left, obviously to avoid the worst part of the pitch, nearest the camera. Second half the play was down the right for the same reason and Vardy was hardly used but it did seem they were deliberately avoiding him after Walcott came on. Walcott himself guilty of not putting Vardy clean through, choosing to keep the ball and running into 3 defenders. At least twice, the player on the ball checked back and passed backwards when the ball over the top for Vardy was on. Vardy was having to come back into defence to see any of the ball and that's the only time we saw the real Vardy running with the ball. Unfortunately, he slipped when he cut back in on the worst part of the pitch and when he ran down the right, what would have been the ball of the match was cut out.

Not a great game for him, but it wasn't the best game for him to be playing in in the first place and he wasn't helped much by his teammates, at times it did look like they played round him.

There were so many times even a simple pass couldve played Vardy through especially in the 2nd half. It certainly seemed like they were consciously avoiding playing him in.. However this could be partly due to the style of play or the fact the pitch was crap down that side. He pulled out a lovely peice of composed play early in the 2nd half to retain possession.

You said his game only suits counter attacking teams... You wouldn't play vardy against a lower team in the fa cup then?

Yes I would... but I'd also expect his style (and our style as a team) to not be quite so effective if they sit deep with 11 men behind the ball and not bothered attacking at all. It's not making excuses because he had an average game, I called it before the game and so did others.

He doesn't have the technique to play back to the goal, possession football, working it around the pitch looking for space. In a high tempo game, with a team actually willing to venture past their own halfway line then he's more likely to have a good game as it suits his style.

You could watch a Vardy highlights film and I'm imagine 95% of it would be fast breaks from our own area as a team.

I'd like to think Hodgson won't base his team selection on what ratings the sunday papers gave his players, was quite clearly trying to get him in a game with the other players which in my opinion can only be seen as a positive move as it clearly means that he could potentially be on the plane to France next year.

We all know his strengths and that the game against San Marino didn't lend itself to them. People have gone from getting upset that people are slagging Vardy to getting upset that Hodgson played him in the first place, barmy.

Yes, he'd been watching the training videos and spotted it.

Vardy was ok in the first half when all the play came down the left, obviously to avoid the worst part of the pitch, nearest the camera. Second half the play was down the right for the same reason and Vardy was hardly used but it did seem they were deliberately avoiding him after Walcott came on. Walcott himself guilty of not putting Vardy clean through, choosing to keep the ball and running into 3 defenders. At least twice, the player on the ball checked back and passed backwards when the ball over the top for Vardy was on. Vardy was having to come back into defence to see any of the ball and that's the only time we saw the real Vardy running with the ball. Unfortunately, he slipped when he cut back in on the worst part of the pitch and when he ran down the right, what would have been the ball of the match was cut out.

Not a great game for him, but it wasn't the best game for him to be playing in in the first place and he wasn't helped much by his teammates, at times it did look like they played round him.

Yeah I dunno if it was just cos I was only watching the game because of Vardy, but it did seem like that. Only Shelvey (the other new boy) seemed to want to take advantage of Vardy’s runs. And in the end, he just seemed to stop making them.

I also noticed that Glenn Hoddle didn’t mention Vardy until he made a mistake. Vardy has several good touches early on that just passed unnoticed. Then, when Vardy tried to square the ball for Rooney but got the bobble, Hoddle finally pipes up “Vardy’s got to do better there.”

Very strange. I wonder if old Tottenham man Hoddle was annoyed that Vardy got in ahead of Kane?

Either way, there may well be a certain degree of ‘snobbishness’ about the England players… maybe something that Ian Wright (another ex non-leaguer) has experience of, which is why he stuck up for Vardy.

Someone picked up on something Ian Wright said before the San Marino game before; that he seemed to be on the outside of the group. I think this is one of the biggest problems for him. He needs to get into the group and get to know the lads. 

Let's say if you're Theo Walcott and you're playing with Vardy, the only thing you're gonna know about him is from what you've seen only twice when he played against Arsenal. If you've only seen him then and not really spoken to him in training other than an occasional "hi" you're not going to know that you can play a ball pretty much anywhere in front of him and he'll be able to get it, or that he can get past players with his pace and get it into you if you simply get in the right position. I know professionals should just assume this but i don't think they do from looking at the San Marino game.  

He needs to get in there and let them know what he's capable of by telling them, other than letting them watch a few lengthy dribbles in a training match. Hopefully he's just feeling like a new kid at school and will settle in if given the chances. 

I love Vardy and I have always supported him but I think we are making too many excuses for him.

Yes, his natural game is more suited to a counter attacking set up, but the same could be said for other players like Walcott.

He just had a pretty poor night.

You might as well say Joe Hart was poor.  How do you play against a team that are 3-0 down but won’t attack?

Vardy did OK. A 6/10 performance... First half he was more effective than Rooney, but second half he didn’t really get into the game…  but apart from Shelvey, Oxlade Chamberlain and Kane, did any player really perform any better than a 6/10?

I don’t think anyone’s making an excuse for him. Even the most ardent City fan would tell you that Vardy isn’t England’s best left-sided player.

The question is just whether the England squad is cliquey… You’d want the other England players rallying around the newcomers : making an extra effort to give him the ball, encouraging him to get into the box and get the goal that would settle him. I didn’t see any of that. Did you?

I wouldn’t blame Hodgson if he puts Kane in for the Switzerland game as it was a beautifully taken goal by him. I bet though that Vardy was wishing he could have played in front of goal rather than stuck out on the left.

I love Vardy and I have always supported him but I think we are making too many excuses for him.

Yes, his natural game is more suited to a counter attacking set up, but the same could be said for other players like Walcott.

He just had a pretty poor night.

He was arguably our best player in the first half, so id hardly say he was poor all night. Good first half, poor second half I would say.

Anyone actually read an article saying he was good? I have only read ones saying how poor he was.

I haven't read anything saying he was poor:

Mirror:

Jamie Vardy 7 - the revelation of last season. Pace allied with a distinct competitive edge maked a huge asset for Roy Hodgson.

BBC:

Jamie Vardy (forward) 6
_85389493_vardy-reu.jpg

Worked his socks off and was aggressive, particularly in a second-half spat with San Marino defender Giovanni Bonini, but not everything worked. He will hope for another chance soon.

I haven't read anything saying he was poor:

To be poor you have to do something wrong for me, first half especially he was neat and tidy on the ball and looked decent enough. With perhaps only Shelvey doing anything more than him. Second half he barely got a kick as almost every time we got into their half the ball was switched from left to right. Not poor, just not in the game.... you can't pin that all on the player though. Although I don't think he did enough to try to demand the ball enough or go looking for it.

Archived