Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest CityFan 06

Best Overall Laptop?

Guest CityFan 06

Hi, does anyone have any recommendations for a good overall laptop to buy? I'm looking into getting one but want to make sure it's a worthy purchase before I go straight in to buy one. I've looked on the internet but just wondered if anyone has had or has one now that you feel is recommendable.

Thanks!

Guest CityFan 06

13" Around 500 I think, 15" 800

The 13 inch has an i5 processor, the 15 inch has an i7 which is pretty much top of the range for gaming.

Also has two graphics cards, one dedicated for gaming.

And the Operating System is finished and never crashes unlike a Windows.

Ah right cheers mate will bear that one in mind.

13" Around 500 I think, 15" 800

The 13 inch has an i5 processor, the 15 inch has an i7 which is pretty much top of the range for gaming.

Also has two graphics cards, one dedicated for gaming.

And the Operating System is finished and never crashes unlike a Windows.

I don't think a windows pc has crashed on my in about 10 years.

Ah right cheers mate will bear that one in mind.

What are you looking to use if for. If you're on a budget and just want it for general internet use/music/youtube/word processing then you could look at a chromebook. Girlfriend picked a toshiba one out for about £230~ last month a loves it. Think it's a 13" screen (1080p and really nice for the price, mega battery life and very portable.

Guest CityFan 06

I'm looking for one that has a good graphics system, and is capable/runs well on Skype which would be important because I'm going to need to use Skype. Wasn't looking to spend too much over £200 really, but unsure if it's still possible to get a good one under £200 and one that will fit what I need. Ideally I would be looking for one which does have a good graphic system so if I was to play games on it it would work well.

I'm looking for one that has a good graphics system, and is capable/runs well on Skype which would be important because I'm going to need to use Skype. Wasn't looking to spend too much over £200 really, but unsure if it's still possible to get a good one under £200 and one that will fit what I need. Ideally I would be looking for one which does have a good graphic system so if I was to play games on it it would work well.

You're not going to get anything good graphically for £200. That's bottom tier price bracket i would think so you'd be looking at fairly min specs and integrated graphics unless prices have plummetted since I last checked.

Double it and you could get something good as graphics cards don't seem to be as expensive as what they used to be. If you don't want to run powerful games, you could easily get something decent for £300/£350 and Skype is standard these days.

I have the new MacBook Pro 13 inch. I can safely say that I will never be going back to the other brand ive had in the past such as HP, Dell etc. all the other laptops ive had always seem to have issues after a year or so. Macs have their own anti-virus system which saves cost buying a really good one to install. I can see myself having this laptop for the next 5-7 years when previously ive bought 3 laptops in that time due to problems with the laptops so you save cost in the long term. I honestly can say they are an unbelievable piece of equipment! Hope this helps

Your never gonna get a mac for 200 quid, but just any old cheap laptop is going to run Skype nowadays. If you really are limited to that sort of money the best you're going to get is a cheap netbook that's ok for browsing the Web or using office, but not much else.

Guest CityFan 06

Thanks for the replies and advice guys much appreciated. I kind of guessed getting a laptop under £200 with good graphics could be tricky unless there was a deal on, but thought it was worth a try. I may have to either up my price range or hopefully get lucky with a deal.

Laptops are like cars everyone knows someone who's bought a lemon.

I recently bought a Toshiba (I don't need a super graphics card) mainly because my previous Toshiba lasted for about 7 years without fault in fact it's still working ok if a bit slow.

During my research I read many buyer reviews for a whole range of manufacturers and every single one of them had a load of bad as well as good reviews.

It's an unenviable task buying anything these days, reviews seem to be counter productive because if you take notice of them all you'd never buy anything.

I can't recommend anyone but Good luck.

Archived