Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

PC- MMORPG

If you want subscription free and a fairly solid product then Rift is okay.

It's what they call a WoW clone. It's fairly identical concept and gameplay to Warcraft but they modernised the graphics a bit and it's not so cartoony.

It doesn't have the greatest PvP although it does have battlefield equivalents (capture the flag, capture bases, etc.) It's just the rewards for doing so are a bit naff and there's not really dedicated PvP gear. Or there wasn't when I was playing last, couple of years admittedly.

It's a standard free to play model which means it has a marketplace for spending money on other things but unlike a lot of other games it's not what they call "pay to win", meaning you can't spend real money to buy all the best stuff. The subscribers and the free players get essentially identical gameplay.

Any money you spend generally gets put towards cosmetic things like outfits, mounts, perks.

Basically, if you want a time sink that won't take over your life then it's fine.

I haven't played WoW since before cataclysm but it was bollocks then and about to be dumbed down further.

Unless they've back pedalled a lot I can't imagine it being any good now.

If Rift had arena (and it might by now, no idea) it'd be streets ahead.

Always fancied trying EVE, but the fact it's a subscription puts me off.

I lost about 5 years of my life to EVE from 2003 onwards. You have to let it completely take over your life in order to get anything out of it, and that will still take years.

Archived