Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AoWW

Photoshop - white background?

Don't know if anyone can help with something that I thought should be simple but looking online it appears not! I want to take some photos of items but then edit them in photoshop (I've got PS elements) so they've got a plain white background... but how? I've little knowledge of photoshop but can't believe it can really be too complicated, can it?

Paint.net is quite good for doing this. as long as the image has solidish colours you can do it in 1 click.

Ok, thanks, I'll have a look. 

It depends how busy the original backgrounds are. If they're relatively plain already you could just use the lasso or magnetic lasso tool to outline the items, remove the original background and place a blank white layer underneath.

It's not as daunting as a lot of tutorials no doubt make out but it does depend on the complexity and resolution of the original images.

Don't know if anyone can help with something that I thought should be simple but looking online it appears not! I want to take some photos of items but then edit them in photoshop (I've got PS elements) so they've got a plain white background... but how? I've little knowledge of photoshop but can't believe it can really be too complicated, can it?

If you're taking the photos yourself, you can make removing backgrounds easier by making the background as plain as possible. Doesn't matter what colour the bg is (as long as it's not the same colour as the item), but the less fussy it is, the better. You can use the magic wand tool to select shapes. Then you can cut them. The plainer the bg, the less shapes you have to cut.

I think the best way for someone with little knowledge of PS to do this would be,

make a duplicate layer of the raw image (you might have to make it a .psd file to do this - if it isn't already, save as.. (name).psd),

stick a new layer between the two and use the paint bucket to fill it with white,

then make sure the duplicate you created is the top layer and is selected,

use the magic wand tool to select shapes on its background and cut them away. If you find you're cutting parts of the subject item away with the bg, you can undo, and adjust the 'tolerance' on the wand tool before trying again.

Ideally, you want to use masks to do this job, but it might be a bit too involved if you're a beginner. You could watch a couple of tutorial videos on YouTube to see if it's something you want to bother with or not. If you learn to use masks, you can do this sort of thing very quickly and accurately, but it might not be worth the time it takes to learn if you're not going to use it a lot.

Archived