Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
totbl

Earl Shilton - what's it like?

In a nutshell, we've been burgled once and on the occasion I bought a new bike and left my old one in our fenced courtyard, it was taken by 3pm the next day.

Couple of decent Chinese takeaways and about four shite ones.

Couple of pubs I rarely go, other than the Stoneycroft Sports Club/The Albion to watch City if it's on.

Good bus route/easy car access into Leicester and Hinckley.

A few parks, most I choose to avoid at night.

Mill Lane is alright.

That's about it.

In a nutshell, we've been burgled once and on the occasion I bought a new bike and left my old one in our fenced courtyard, it was taken by 3pm the next day.

Couple of decent Chinese takeaways and about four shite ones.

Couple of pubs I rarely go, other than the Stoneycroft Sports Club/The Albion to watch City if it's on.

Good bus route/easy car access into Leicester and Hinckley.

A few parks, most I choose to avoid at night.

Mill Lane is alright.

That's about it.

Christ is the Albion still open?  When you walk past there its in such a bad state from the outside you'd think it had been shut for years!

Christ is the Albion still open? When you walk past there its in such a bad state from the outside you'd think it had been shut for years!

Yeah it's not the worst place inside to be fair, tends to be full when there's a match on and I know the guy who runs it so not all bad.

Quick question - what is it like to live there? Could potentially be moving. Some google searches have brought up a bit about antisocial behavior etc, bt other than that I don't know too much about it

Cheers

I moved here in May and bought my first house here. I've found it fine. ten minutes into Hinckley, 15 in to Leicester. Had a look at a few houses around Leicestershire and thought that this was probably the best place to start a family as we were looking in the centre first but we thought we'd end up moving out to Leicestershire in a few years anyway so why wait.

Not much of a night life at all. Zilch in fact but if that doesn't bother you like it doesn't bother us then it was the perfect place to move. Good links to everywhere, nice high street.

I moved here in May and bought my first house here. I've found it fine. ten minutes into Hinckley, 15 in to Leicester. Had a look at a few houses around Leicestershire and thought that this was probably the best place to start a family as we were looking in the centre first but we thought we'd end up moving out to Leicestershire in a few years anyway so why wait.

Not much of a night life at all. Zilch in fact but if that doesn't bother you like it doesn't bother us then it was the perfect place to move. Good links to everywhere, nice high street.

This sums it up well in all seriousness. It isn't as rough as it used to be to be fair it's just seems to be carrying that reputation on. A few nice new build areas and other than around Earl Street there's nowhere I'd particularly avoid and there's plenty of parks that are decent enough and three Primary schools in the village so plenty of choice if you have a young family. 

If you enjoy walks/cycling there's a few public footpaths around and plenty of country lanes, especially just past the bypass heading out towards Croft, and Burbage Common is a short 20 minute or so walk through Elmesthorpe from the bypass.

Shopping wise you can get to Fosse Park in about 20 minutes on a good day via Enderby and then you have ASDA, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi as well as the market in Hinckley. In the village there's a fairly large Co-op in the centre as well as a Spar. Leicester's not that far either.

In terms of Leisure there isn't that much in Shilton itself but you have the new Cinema in Hinckley as well as the new leisure centre that's supposed to be open this year, I think.

Like Langley said there's no night life, a fair few pubs but then you can go Hinckley Town centre (it's alright if you're local but otherwise it ain't great) or you have a short taxi or bus ride (run till about 11/12ish) to Leicester. 

This sums it up well in all seriousness. It isn't as rough as it used to be to be fair it's just seems to be carrying that reputation on. A few nice new build areas and other than around Earl Street there's nowhere I'd particularly avoid and there's plenty of parks that are decent enough and three Primary schools in the village so plenty of choice if you have a young family. 

If you enjoy walks/cycling there's a few public footpaths around and plenty of country lanes, especially just past the bypass heading out towards Croft, and Burbage Common is a short 20 minute or so walk through Elmesthorpe from the bypass.

Shopping wise you can get to Fosse Park in about 20 minutes on a good day via Enderby and then you have ASDA, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi as well as the market in Hinckley. In the village there's a fairly large Co-op in the centre as well as a Spar. Leicester's not that far either.

In terms of Leisure there isn't that much in Shilton itself but you have the new Cinema in Hinckley as well as the new leisure centre that's supposed to be open this year, I think.

Like Langley said there's no night life, a fair few pubs but then you can go Hinckley Town centre (it's alright if you're local but otherwise it ain't great) or you have a short taxi or bus ride (run till about 11/12ish) to Leicester. 

Exactly, I go to Fields Fitness just inside Hinckley for the gym and I work in Glen Parva. After a few weeks you learn the back roads (I use Thurlaston Lane, go through Potters Maston, Huncote and the Narborough to get into town usually as it's a lot quicker than the conventional route) to get places. You can drive into Leicester park up and get a taxi/Uber back Taxi is around £20-25 uber is £13-15 and get the car afterwards. If you want a quieter, more 'grown up' life then Shilton's good. If you're still enjoying the bustle and traffic of town then somewhere like off the Fosse Road has some nice houses.

And to be fair people say that Coalville, Loughborough, Braunstone are all dumps too.

Its alright, recently moved away after 17 years of living there. 

Like plenty have said its generally a nice quiet place to live, don't let its reputation fool you too much, its obviously not as up market as some villages round here but it serves its purpose. 

A few good primary schools in the village so its a nice place to start a family with quick and easy routes to hinckley and leicester. 

Plenty of pubs if you're into that, but not much else in terms of nightlife. 

Depending on where about you're going live in the village you're potentially making a very good decision :) 

Quick question - what is it like to live there? Could potentially be moving. Some google searches have brought up a bit about antisocial behavior etc, bt other than that I don't know too much about it

Cheers

If this doesn't convince you to move there, nothing will..

Archived