Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxoffderby

Ongoing Transfer Talk

Guest Col city fan

The big question for me is money. The world of football, financially, is starting to even itself out a bit. Don't we get 150 mill next season from SKY? And another many many millions for Champs League football. The question then becomes how will we spend it? Will we spend it? What will the wage structure be? Who will we sell?

Just because Arsenal are after a player, possibly, doesn't mean they will neccesarily want to join them. Or at least, its not as clear cut now as it would have been 6/7 yrs ago. I suspect many players will now be seriously be looking at Spurs as a real option. And after this season, why not Leicester?

There is no way Arsenal are going to fork out the money to buy Lukaku.

If you look at there lone striker options it's Welbeck, Giroud and Walcott. If we signed any of them we'd think it was a decent signing but no one would be doing cartwheels.

There is a dearth of available top drawer strikers as they're already at the best clubs. If Wenger stays at Arsenal next season he must realise he has to go out and get the best striker that's obtainable. If he had Lukaku this season they'd probably win the league. His options up front at the moment are poverty for a club like Arsenal, that has to change.

The big question for me is money. The world of football, financially, is starting to even itself out a bit. Don't we get 150 mill next season from SKY? And another many many millions for Champs League football. The question then becomes how will we spend it? Will we spend it? What will the wage structure be? Who will we sell?

Just because Arsenal are after a player, possibly, doesn't mean they will neccesarily want to join them. Or at least, its not as clear cut now as it would have been 6/7 yrs ago. I suspect many players will now be seriously be looking at Spurs as a real option. And after this season, why not Leicester?

Leicester will have to perform to a similar standard for at least another season before any of the players with options will sign for us, we're too much of a risk for serious players to consider us.

If you look at there lone striker options it's Welbeck, Giroud and Walcott. If we signed any of them we'd think it was a decent signing but no one would be doing cartwheels.

There is a dearth of available top drawer strikers as they're already at the best clubs. If Wenger stays at Arsenal next season he must realise he has to go out and get the best striker that's obtainable. If he had Lukaku this season they'd probably win the league. His options up front at the moment are poverty for a club like Arsenal, that has to change.

Lukaku will go for serious, serious money and Arsenal (with Wenger in charge) will not want to spend the amount required when there are strikers out there for far less.

I completely agree that they need a top striker, but the likes of Lacazette are of similar quality but would be loads cheaper. 

Yes Arsenal are set to get millions of spending money, but so are Everton. They won't give him away on the cheap. He's going to go for 60m+.

Honestly I wouldn't mind Mame Diouf. Everyone will probably laugh at that, but we don't want big time Charlies.

Diouf is as rapid as Vardy, built like a tank & works hard. Apparently his finishing is off, but that can be worked on.

Like our signings in the past he'll have something to prove.

You would need to pay an incredible amount of money to get Lukaku. why not search in a foreign league for much less?

Cus you get what you pay for ...   but at the end of the day the money isn't coming out of my pocket so it's only fair to leave it to those whose pockets it is coming out of.

If we signed Giroud, I might. 

League cup, he was unreal.

Ah yes, forgot all about that game. Indeed he made some unreal saves in that match. But he's not been anywhere near as spectacular this season for West Ham. Thought he looked better last season.

Would love to see Fraser Forster come in if Southampton don't get into Europe but Kasper has earner his place and I can't see him being replaced.

Since his run of clean sheets, he's dropped a few clangers that's cost them. Kasper has made very few high-profile mistakes this season, and even less resulting in goals.

I'm firmly in the Col camp as far as Cambiasso is concerned.

I never rated him that highly first time around as his legs had gone. He was a lovely player on the ball and read the game superbly but was poor athletically. Why anyone would want him here two seasons later is mind boggling. If we're going to sign highly talented players who haven't got the legs anymore why don't we go the whole hog and have a central midfield of Zidane and Bobby Charlton?

As Babs already mentioned, I was commenting on the comparison of Totti and Cambiasso. Said Cambiasso would struggle to get into the team now (one season later, not two), just like Inler. Col doesn't even disagree with me, but still feels he needs another swipe at Cambiasso. It's ridiculous.

I do think Col's insistence on taking a snipe at Cambiasso at every possible opportunity is a bit weird but it's hard to really argue with the gist of what he's saying. Cambiasso wouldn't start for us now.

Nobody has said he would, not a suggestion of it anywhere. It's like me saying we shouldn't sign Kevin Phillips and play him upfront, then patting myself on the back for saying something bloody obvious.

Lukaku.  Lukaku.   Lukaku. ....     and Max Gradel if Riyad goes.

Dont think we are ready to spend 30m+ on a player, which is what Lukaku will go for.... Not saying thats what he is worth... but they DID buy him for something like 28m didnt they?

How old was Huth when he signed for us? Genuine question as I don't know? He had also played for years in the Prem AND is a centre back. Not a central midfielder expected to get up and down the pitch especially in a 442. Wasa has been a bit part player, same with Phillips and of course both were signed when we in the Championship and not signed to be first team regulars in a Premiership side.

So whilst I get you, sort of, I'm not sure the point you're making.

The points he's making, is the same one I have made previously (one you agreed with). Some older player can and will offer something, De Jong for example is younger than Huth having only just turned 31, you can't rule people out just because of their age. In this professional era players keep themselves fitter longer and it's not hard for a 30 something to be still more than capable of playing anywhere on the pitch. If they fall into that category and they are still hungry then there is no issue having some of them in the squad. Morgan is 32 and probably having the best year of his life, ditto with Fuchs and Vardy who are both 29.

If we're going back to where this started with Totti, then clearly he's too old and doesn't fit into our style that's based on effort and pace.

Dont think we are ready to spend 30m+ on a player, which is what Lukaku will go for.... Not saying thats what he is worth... but they DID buy him for something like 28m didnt they?

Seems the perfect time to me (when we win the Prem) .....    and a few other key signings to add more strength where required.      We have the basis of a fantastic team here. 

Guest Col city fan

Are people STILL talking about Cambiasso? :thumbup:

I see they are...

I dont get this thing about Everton being a bigger club than City, thing. Have you been to Goodison Park in the first place..Bits of it are still wooden! lol

And i can't see joining City to be any 'risk'? What are you 'risking'? Playing in front of capacity crowds every other week at an incredibly well run club?

It will be about money, primarily. As I said earlier. It will be interesting to see what we pay going on from now.

Nobody has said he would, not a suggestion of it anywhere. It's like me saying we shouldn't sign Kevin Phillips and play him upfront, then patting myself on the back for saying something bloody obvious.

Yes, 28 mill

Cus you get what you pay for ...   but at the end of the day the money isn't coming out of my pocket so it's only fair to leave it to those whose pockets it is coming out of.

Mahrez cost 400k. The absurd culture of paying insane amounts doesn't need to apply for Leicester.

Lukaku will go for around 60 million ... And with the current transfer rates he's worth every penny.

Anyhow he wants champions league football but he means he wants garuntee champions league football every season so I see him going to an Arsenal type team.

Archived