Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

2 hours ago, casablancas said:

I have not slept for three nights lol  luckily work are really chill about it

I'm sure they are, since you do the nightshift.

Seriously though, hope you can get a block on that incident or learn to cope. Any trauma support assistance from work?

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

5 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I'm sure they are, since you do the nightshift.

Seriously though, hope you can get a block on that incident or learn to cope. Any trauma support assistance from work?

Yeah there is. Just need to see how the next week or two is. It’s still a little early to be looking at trauma work technically I guess. But I’m certainly going to monitor 

On 28/08/2024 at 05:12, casablancas said:

Copy from another thread as I’m feeling very sh!ty and sorry for  myself. This is a bit heavy so you have been warned…. Trigger warning for RTA. 

i attended a RTA as a bystander … was first one there and saw a lady under a truck with the wheel over her. . It is the most harrowing thing I have ever seen. She had several open fractures including of her skull and she had fat hanging out of her belly … I can’t un see it. For those that don’t know I’m a psych nurse by trade but this was well above advanced life support. 

I don’t know if she’s made it. It was Fcuking horrendous 

Edited 6 hours ago by casablancas

This sort of thing can be particularly difficult for those that witness/are first to arrive at such an overwhelming incident. It's unexpected and suddenly shocking and the brain takes several moments to assimilate and make sense of what you're seeing, then how to react and what to do, if anything.

That's something I've often wondered about, how it affects people that witness such a thing. At least we were trained to deal with difficult incidents and also had time en-route to prepare, mentally and professionally for what we might be faced with For those without that, the trauma is deeper and can be re-run in the imagination and thought processes immediately, and for some after the event.

Also we had debriefing time after attending something very traumatic, something which bystanders and witnesses don't get.

I would imagine that you, as a Psych nurse would have access to some MH counselling and if so, don't prevaricate to see if thoughts and images of what you encountered go away. Talk it through with someone. 

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, casablancas said:

It’s still a little early to be looking at trauma work technically I guess.

Why? See my post above.

The fresher it is in your mind the more effective some talking therapy will help. I know from my own experiences. As I said in my previous post, we had immediate debriefing/talking following traumatic and difficult incidents. It was undoubtedly helpful. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Why? See my post above.

The fresher it is in your mind the more effective some talking therapy will help. I know from my own experiences. As I said in my previous post, we had immediate debriefing/talking following traumatic and difficult incidents. It was undoubtedly helpful. 

I appreciate your insight bud. 

2 hours ago, filthyfox said:

So...

This week I had my first therapy session.

Worked on my garden for most of the day...   and picked up a BOOK for the first time in 2 years.

Things are looking good...   this is my reward

20240830_174558.jpg

You didn't burn the book did you? 

• Haha 1

Been feeling very low and burnt out recently. Work is a nightmare, people are just completely unresponsive to any help I ask for. My partner also is trying to help but then also told me I need to be more grateful in life for the things I have. Which I wish that I could do, but it doesn’t feel that easy and has made me feel worse about things 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Been feeling very low and burnt out recently. Work is a nightmare, people are just completely unresponsive to any help I ask for. My partner also is trying to help but then also told me I need to be more grateful in life for the things I have. Which I wish that I could do, but it doesn’t feel that easy and has made me feel worse about things 

I feel you. I understand why people try and offer platitudes like “try to be grateful/mindful” or “try not to focus on things you can’t control” but when I feel low or anxious I find it’s some of the worst things people can say to me. Fact is things out of our control and the overwhelming amount of things that affect how ourselves and our loved ones live our lives that I just find it a gratingly unreasonable suggestion.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, filthyfox said:

So...

Worked on my garden for most of the day...   and picked up a BOOK for the first time in 2 years.

20240830_174558.jpg

Was it Shakespeare?

26 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Was it Shakespeare?

Haha...   implying that I picked the book and burnt it, rather than read it?

Nooe-  I read it, and intend to finish it by end October.

I then have another book lined up for afterwards

On 30/08/2024 at 17:57, filthyfox said:

So...

20240830_174558.jpg

Nothing beats a good fire. I've got the house to myself for a week in mid September and I'm planning to burn absolutely everything. Absolutely cannot wait. Glad you're doing better!

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Nothing beats a good fire. I've got the house to myself for a week in mid September and I'm planning to burn absolutely everything. Absolutely cannot wait. Glad you're doing better!

Including your screenplay?

• Haha 2

Wouldn't say that am depressed, but am finding interview rejection hard to navigate psychologically - even with coaching on how to answer certain questions..

I know when once past the process, can be a productive and reliable employee.

Suppose one has to fail before getting success etc..

Edited by Wymsey

7 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Wouldn't say that am depressed, but am finding interview rejection hard to navigate psychologically - even with coaching on how to answer certain questions..

Same situation and it's not easy to remain positive. What other choice do we have though. 

On 03/09/2024 at 16:10, Wymsey said:

Are you having mock interviews with anyone? 

@Greg2607 might be able to help from the other side of the fence in his area of expertise. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's good to see this thread drop a little. Of course, that doesn't mean all is well with everyone.

Been struggling myself for awhile. 

Recently moved into my bro-in-laws basement, due to the fact that the condo I was renting was being sold and I didn't really have any options.

Couple weeks ago I started having this pain in my right foot and was having to limp around. Tried my best to stay off of it and thought it was getting better, but it's got to the point where I can put any weight on it and I'm using crutches.

Everyone had been bugging me to see a doctor, but typical me, I figured I'll be fine.

But I'm not. I've been drinking heavily(I have to have that delivered) and haven't been outside in over a week.

So, even the pretty boring lifestyle I'd been living feels so far away right now. 

Luckily I have a few people who have been helpful and tomorrow I'm finally going to have my foot looked at.

Bit nervous, as I really haven't lived a healthy life and haven't seen a doctor in quite some time, but I need to get this looked at.

Also, have a close family member, who I used to see every day that's going through some health issues that dwarf mine by a landslide.

Anyway...we shall see what tomorrow brings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spacemunky said:

I think it's good to see this thread drop a little. Of course, that doesn't mean all is well with everyone.

Recently moved into my bro-in-laws basement, due to the fact that the condo I was renting was being sold and I didn't really have any options.

Couple weeks ago I started having this pain in my right foot and was having to limp around. Tried my best to stay off of it and thought it was getting better, but it's got to the point where I can put any weight on it and I'm using crutches.

Everyone had been bugging me to see a doctor, but typical me, I figured I'll be fine.

But I'm not. I've been drinking heavily(I have to have that delivered) and haven't been outside in over a week.

So, even the pretty boring lifestyle I'd been living feels so far away right now. 

Luckily I have a few people who have been helpful and tomorrow I'm finally going to have my foot looked at.

Bit nervous, as I really haven't lived a healthy life and haven't seen a doctor in quite some time, but I need to get this looked at.

Also, have a close family member, who I used to see every day that's going through some health issues that dwarf mine by a landslide.

Good luck mate. Making the first step by going to the doctors is massive. Use that as a starting point and build from there in your own time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spacemunky said:

How's healthcare in Canadia? Do you need to pay for it?

50 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

How's healthcare in Canadia? Do you need to pay for it?

It's all covered here.

But...dumb me let my health card expire. Somewhere between covid, me moving and just my own general stupidity, I hadn't realized.

I might have to pay for an xray or whatever, but hopefully after that I can get back on my feet and sort some stuff out.

On 31/07/2024 at 09:34, HighPeakFox said:

I've been in an emotional holding pattern for 2 years, and wasn't sure I would ever get to land my metaphorical plane. Happily, though, the woman I desire has radioed me to start my descent and (hopefully) make a safe landing. So (obvious sexual imagery aside) we get the chance to see if we can adjust from how we have had to be, to how we imagine we want to be.

I know it won't solve any existential issues I have, and I need to not rely on it to make me happy. However, I am the luckiest man alive - that she wants me as much as I want her, after 53 years of nothing remotely close to it, is mind blowing.

I have many friends on this thread, and I wanted to share this with you.

We didn't, but I'm OK. 

• Sad 1