Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Pixelated Graphics on Laptop

Wondering if any of the tech wizards here can shine a light on an issue i started having a few days ago.

All of a sudden I've started noticing fuzzy/grainy/pixelated backgrounds in videos and photos on my laptop. I've check my resolution settings and updated the drivers on my graphics card but no change. The foreground quality seems to be okay, but you really notice it if there's a solid colour background with a slight gradient or when an object in the foreground moves, there's what I'd call a 'shadow pixelation' around the object.

It's weird and its annoying. Here's a few examples.

post-22310-0-89441100-1456536766_thumb.j

post-22310-0-92804300-1456536781_thumb.j

Could well be the video player itself (buffer issues) or the video even (bad upload or pixels/fragments as part of the video).

Sometimes, it can even be the wireless connection - a similar issue does happen quite often with smartphones when the signal goes amiss.

Have you tried clearing your cache and or given the harddrive and RAM a little freshening up? What are your laptops's specs?

Strange thing is that it's not just videos that do this, but all images, including desktop wallpaper and the windows lock screen.

I first noticed it a few days ago when transferring some photos from my camera's memory card. I thought there was something wrong with my camera coz all the photos were showing up like this, it was after that that I noticed the same effect on images and videos. 

Below are my system specs. It's only a couple of months old and I really only use Steam and Chrome on it, so I'm not really taxing it too hard most the time.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LAPTOP-N855VBB0
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 80M8
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU LENOVO_MT_80M8_BU_idea_FM_Lenovo G51-35
Processor AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, 2200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Lenovo C3CN54WW, 18/11/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 1.54
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10586.0"
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 6.91 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.74 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.03 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.52 GB
Page File Space 1.13 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

try  using  a diifferent  browser, and updating you drivers

yep, done that. No difference. I even did a windows re-install (everything except personal data and files).

If I can sort it out today I'll contact tech support tomorrow. I just hope it's software and not hardware so they can fix it remotely.

Chatted with tech support yesterday. looks like a hardware problem. I'll have to mail it in to get it fixed. Not crazy about having to pay postage for that - hopefully it's fixed for good or replaced with a new laptop. 

Hopefully the pixelation and the touchpad issue are linked together, ergo fixed with the same repair.

Surely if it's under warranty they should cover any carriage charges?d

One would think so, but nope. only on certain model lines apparently. My G series only qualified for free postage on the return from support, not both ways.

Lenovo started with high marks from me when i first purchased this computer, but they're slipping fast.

Archived