Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Have they started making Teslas with a button that has a German flag on it? One press and the car appears to be driven by an absolute Audi twat with no roadcraft skills? Three have tried to climb into my car this week. Between them and Musk I’m beginning to really dislike the vehicles.

As they get more and more common on the roads you'll get people like this, the same as any make/model. 

34 minutes ago, The Bear said:

As they get more and more common on the roads you'll get people like this, the same as any make/model. 

Used to be Audis and BMWs. Increasingly, it's Teslas instead. Strikes me it's a shift in the entitled executive market rather than an issue with drivers in general.

15 minutes ago, MustardTiger said:

Has anyone haggled for breakdown cover with AA or similar recently? Been offered £78 from AA for roadside and onward travel at renewal but wondering if I should push it further.

I insured with AA 2 years ago and got breakdown cover included for £20. The next year they ramped up the breakdown to £80, called them and eventually, after stating I'd leave the insurance as well because of the price, they gave me another year at £20. This year the insurance went up too much, and the breakdown again was £80 so I just binned them both off, they did again drop the breakdown down to about £40 but with the insurance cost so high I still got a better deal elsewhere, now with RAC.

Well, I have a bit of a dilemma. 

I've been offered a job to get back in to car sales, but I really don't know if I should do it.

I'm based in Northampton, the job is in Stevanage. It's a 50 mile, 90 minute drive, twice a day.

I'd have a demo car, but I'd have to pay for the fuel (unless it was an EV).

It's also basically 5.5 days per week, one fixed day off a week, then every other Sunday off.

It would be working for my former boss, selling new and used Kia's. So they basically sell themselves.

They earning potential is outrageous, but is it worth it with that commute and hours?

I love having weekends and bank holidays off at the minute, because I've not really had that for years. Also means I get to spend more time with the people I care about. The new job would make that a lot more difficult.

I really don't know what to do!

If it was 20 miles from me, I don't think I'd hesitate.

4 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I've been offered a job to get back in to car sales, but I really don't know if I should do it.

I'm based in Northampton, the job is in Stevanage. It's a 50 mile, 90 minute drive, twice a day.

It's also basically 5.5 days per week, one fixed day off a week, then every other Sunday off.

It would be working for my former boss, selling new and used Kia's. So they basically sell themselves.

They earning potential is outrageous, but is it worth it with that commute and hours?

I love having weekends and bank holidays off at the minute, because I've not really had that for years. Also means I get to spend more time with the people I care about. The new job would make that a lot more difficult.

For/against list.

19 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

For/against list.

For:

More money

Great brand

Know the boss

Better job security (I'm currently self employed, so no sick pay, holiday pay etc at the minute)

Company car

First 3 months on boosted basic to give you the chance to build up commission

Against:

3 hour round trip per day, at best

Working weekends and Bank Holidays

Cost of travel

Targets

Getting home around 8pm every week night

Edited by tom27111

8 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

For/against list.

As HPF says, list the for and against, taking into account your personal cares, commitments, lifestyle and responsibilities. How might the job make your life better,  what might make it worse?

I recall that you've said car sales was your "calling" but then for certain reasons you went to Amazon, which you said you liked. 

You have to ask yourself about the positives and the negatives and be honest with yourself. If the negative side outweighs the positive, then there's a possible problem in the future. 

Only you can make the decision and it's not easy. My advice based on experience is, don't be gung-ho about financial rewards, be level headed about where your future might lie in terms of progression, fulfilment, family life and what it might lead to, which is a potential unknown. 

And the unknown is the problem. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

Adding 3 hours to your day commuting is a deal breaker for me personally.

Assuming a 9-5, you're up before 7am, and don't get home until around 7pm because of traffic. With the additional travel time it basically becomes a 12 hour day. 

Yeah, that's my main concern. Plus the cost of fuel.

It's 8.30am till 6pm. So I'd be out of the house for around 13 hours a day.

Sometimes I work 16 hour days now, but then I can also have a 6 hour day.

It's nice spending weekends with the Mrs and kids.

If it was half an hour down the road, I would even need to think about it to be honest, because I'd be home in time to spend time with the family.

What I'm doing now isn't my long term plan, but it gives me a better work life balance, even if the money isn't great.

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

For:

More money

Great brand

Know the boss

Better job security (I'm currently self employed, so no sick pay, holiday pay etc at the minute)

Company car

More money

Great brand =

Positives.

Know the boss

Not sure if that's one or the other.

Company car

Positive

Only you know how that might work and after 3 months, then what?

Against:

Cost of travel

Targets

All negative IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, tom27111 said:

Yeah, that's my main concern. Plus the cost of fuel.

It's 8.30am till 6pm. So I'd be out of the house for around 13 hours a day.

Sometimes I work 16 hour days now, but then I can also have a 6 hour day.

It's nice spending weekends with the Mrs and kids.

If it was half an hour down the road, I would even need to think about it to be honest, because I'd be home in time to spend time with the family.

What I'm doing now isn't my long term plan, but it gives me a better work life balance, even if the money isn't great.

Others have mentioned very good advice.

What do you want in a job; hours flexibility, free weekends, commission-type opportunities, pleasant environment?

Also, have you discussed what you want going forward with your partner on this front?

I presume you're quite young (30's)?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

For:

More money

Great brand

Know the boss

Company car

Against:

Cost of travel

Targets

Looks like a NO to me. Hold hard, something better might arrive. You're evidently very good at the things you do - value yourself and get what you deserve.

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wymsey said:

Others have mentioned very good advice.

What do you want in a job; hours flexibility, free weekends, commission-type opportunities, pleasant environment?

Also, have you discussed what you want going forward with your partner on this front?

I presume you're quite young (30's)?

I'm 43.

Feel a bit stuck in a rut career wise since lockdown.

I'm siding towards turning it down to be honest. Money isn't everything. 

Spending time with my family wins over a job that potentially pays 65k, but means I don't see them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'm 43.

Feel a bit stuck in a rut career wise since lockdown.

I'm siding towards turning it down to be honest. Money isn't everything. 

Spending time with my family wins over a job that potentially pays 65k, but means I don't see them.

Again HPF has wisely stated, hold on, something better suited could be on the horizon. 

My advice to my kids when they wanted something was, stop, think, if you're unsure, don't go ahead.

It's human nature to doubt ourselves and question the potential outcome of any decision. 

It's a matter of assessing the potential based on what you know about the potential.

Again, only you know yourself.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Remember, your boss isn't always your friend.

Yeah, that's absolutely true, but he's a lovely bloke.

He's the guy who did the 4 rounds of golf in a day for charity with me last year.

We've kept in touch since we've not worked together and this just came out of the blue a couple of days ago.

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Yeah, that's absolutely true, but he's a lovely bloke.

He's the guy who did the 4 rounds of golf in a day for charity with me last year.

We've kept in touch since we've not worked together and this just came out of the blue a couple of days ago.

Does he need you more than you need him?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

For:

More money

Great brand

Know the boss

Company car

Against:

Less golf

• Haha 1

Time is the most valuable thing you have, it is the only finite thing.

Lived in Measham and drove to Sheffield and back every day, the is bad enough on an "average" day, throw in some snow or motorway works and your having to leave even earlier than you expect.