Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

On 02/07/2024 at 08:38, tom27111 said:

Nissan have only ever had to replace 2 Leaf batteries under warranty for degradation. Which is mind blowing.

In the UK.

And you don't need to replace a battery under warranty if you buy the entire car back from the customer...

• 2 weeks later...

Some on here will know that my old Jag is my pride and joy and I've every intention of keeping it for years. I spent Saturday detailing it as it's due it's service and MOT next week (sad I know but I always like to take it there looking pukka so they treat it well :thumbup:)

Imagine my joy this afternoon when I literally drive from my house around the corner to the t-junction of the main road, pull up behind a Landrover Disco and leave a couple of meters gap. 

The disco driver then decides to put theirs into reverse so I honk my horn. They continue reversing and by the time I've selected reverse on my selector they've gone straight into me. The driver gets out and doesn't even apologize saying she's late to pick her daughter up from school, got fed up waiting at the junction so decided to turn around. She then looks at my car and says "yours looks fine" so I look it and say "No, I think you'll find it's a write off".

Just a bit of paint transfer on her disco bumper but mine's fvcked. It's about three inches out of line where the passenger side has been pushed back in and the bonnet won't close. The chassis is cracked by the air intake so it looks structural to me.

Gutted :(

• Sad 15

14 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Some on here will know that my old Jag is my pride and joy and I've every intention of keeping it for years. I spent Saturday detailing it as it's due it's service and MOT next week (sad I know but I always like to take it there looking pukka so they treat it well :thumbup:)

Imagine my joy this afternoon when I literally drive from my house around the corner to the t-junction of the main road, pull up behind a Landrover Disco and leave a couple of meters gap. 

The disco driver then decides to put theirs into reverse so I honk my horn. They continue reversing and by the time I've selected reverse on my selector they've gone straight into me. The driver gets out and doesn't even apologize saying she's late to pick her daughter up from school, got fed up waiting at the junction so decided to turn around. She then looks at my car and says "yours looks fine" so I look it and say "No, I think you'll find it's a write off".

Just a bit of paint transfer on her disco bumper but mine's fvcked. It's about three inches out of line where the passenger side has been pushed back in and the bonnet won't close. The chassis is cracked by the air intake so it looks structural to me.

I would've been close to assaulting her right there and then. Not even apologizing, her explanation, making an illegal and dangerous move in traffic and being blasé about the damage would make me blow my lid off.

Sorry about your car, mate. Heartbreaking way to lose it if it's a write-off.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Oh man. There are some ***** about. Hope you got her details etc. Were there any witnesses as she could say you drove into her Disco.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shen said:

I would've been close to assaulting her right there and then. Not even apologizing, her explanation, making an illegal and dangerous move in traffic and being blasé about the damage would make me blow my lid off.

Sorry about your car, mate. Heartbreaking way to lose it if it's a write-off.

Thanks mate. I think I was so in shock at her blasé attitude that I pretty much stayed silent and just took photo's and her details etc.

They've just towed mine away as the bonnet won't close and the alarm won't set so it's not road worthy. Having to pick up a courtesy car tomorrow.

Tbf to the woman she rang me later to accept full responsibility and aplogized but she clearly doesn't realise it's structural damage and the implications.

Crazy of her to reverse like that and try to turn around without clocking me in her rear view mirror first.

1 minute ago, Otis said:

Oh man. There are some ***** about. Hope you got her details etc. Were there any witnesses as she could say you drove into her Disco.

Yeah funnily enough her passenger got out and she lives around the corner from me. I think she was more embarrassed than the driver tbh.

Luckily the driver accepted responsibility so it's all going through her insurance but I think mine will be written off.

Then we're into the fun and games of settlement payments and all that hassle where really I just want my car back as it was :(

34 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Really sad to hear this man, hopefully it isn't as serious as you think and can be sorted.

I had a hugely similar situation a few years ago, a woman starting pulling out of a T junction, then backed up a little and never changed out of reverse as she went to pull off and shot into the front of my car. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Have you considered a Nissan Leaf? 

You cvnt. I'm fvcking furious here but knowing it's you, I raised a small smile :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Ah **** that so frigging annoying. And I should know because that's EXACTLY what happened to me when I had my Audi so I feel your pain and frustration. 

I stopped behind a taxi who was picking up a fare in the entrance to a car park, and instead of carrying on in and turning round he whacks it in reverse and tries to go back out onto the road. Didn't even look until he reversed straight into me the ****. Like you I had no time to get it in reverse. 

Then had the nerve to not even own up to it, and tried to say I hit him. I felt like belting the **** out of him tbh. Even more annoying his passenger just walked off instead of being an eye witness. I never had any camera in my car at that point so had no proof. Then he tried to claim off my insurance the ****. Luckily he got nowhere with it. And his taxi company washed their hands of it because he uses his own car to do his job.

Again just like you all he had was a tiny little scuff on his rear bumper. My front bumper and bonnet was scratched to buggery and I had to have it all resprayed which cost about £350.

I still have his name and address, and had once planned on leaving it a couple of years then going round one night and slashing all his tyres, but ultimately I'm just not that sort of person and it's been 6 years now so I'll do nothing as usual like the chump I am. 

Good luck with your repairs and I hope it's nothing too major that means you write it off. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Ah **** that so frigging annoying. And I should know because that's EXACTLY what happened to me when I had my Audi so I feel your pain and frustration. 

I stopped behind a taxi who was picking up a fare in the entrance to a car park, and instead of carrying on in and turning round he whacks it in reverse and tries to go back out onto the road. Didn't even look until he reversed straight into me the ****. Like you I had no time to get it in reverse. 

Then had the nerve to not even own up to it, and tried to say I hit him. I felt like belting the **** out of him tbh. Even more annoying his passenger just walked off instead of being an eye witness. I never had any camera in my car at that point so had no proof. Then he tried to claim off my insurance the ****. Luckily he got nowhere with it. And his taxi company washed their hands of it because he uses his own car to do his job.

Again just like you all he had was a tiny little scuff on his rear bumper. My front bumper and bonnet was scratched to buggery and I had to have it all resprayed which cost about £350.

I still have his name and address, and had once planned on leaving it a couple of years then going round one night and slashing all his tyres, but ultimately I'm just not that sort of person and it's been 6 years now so I'll do nothing as usual like the chump I am. 

Good luck with your repairs and I hope it's nothing too major that means you write it off. 

Thanks mate. I don't know how you held your nerve if he had the audacity to try and blame you - what a cvnt

I really hope mines not a write off but I fear the worst.

Makes me think I really should get a dash cam now.

Genuinely gutted for you @Izzy

Hope it all gets sorted out without too much trouble. 

I'm not lying when I say this Jag was in pretty much showroom condition. 

He told me off for leaning on it last time we played golf a couple of weeks ago!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Genuinely gutted for you @Izzy

Hope it all gets sorted out without too much trouble. 

I'm not lying when I say this Jag was in pretty much showroom condition. 

He told me off for leaning on it last time we played golf a couple of weeks ago!

I'm sorry lol

But.....people don't realise that when they lean or sit on cars, things like the small metal studs on Jeans pockets or zippers can scratch the paintwork!!!!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'm sorry lol

But.....people don't realise that when they lean or sit on cars, things like the small metal studs on Jeans pockets or zippers can scratch the paintwork!!!!!

If it was slightly less damaged I would strongly encourage you to embrace the Spanish mentality, we just go ah fvck it, never mind lol

Our car is nothing special, and it's a 2014 model, but it's still in pretty good nick and we do try to look after it.

My husband noticed the other day that someone has scraped the front wing and bumper, if we were still in the UK we would have been devastated, but we just looked at it and said, oh, it looks a bit more Spanish now lol

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'm sorry lol

It's why I've decided I never want a brand new car again. I get stressed about tiny things happening to it, let alone anything actually bad

• Like 2

I drive a 12yr old Focus. The most I’ve ever spent on a car is 7k.

I had a Ford Sierra for 10 years which was damaged on six separate 

occasions while parked. My Focus has been hit twice in Kettering Tesco’s 

car park, both times I was parked up and still in the car.

It would terrify me to have an expensive car.

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Thanks mate. I don't know how you held your nerve if he had the audacity to try and blame you - what a cvnt

I really hope mines not a write off but I fear the worst.

Makes me think I really should get a dash cam now.

You definitely, definitely need a dash cam. They're cheap enough and easy to fit. Saves a lot of arguments if the worst should happen. 

• Like 1

If it is written off you will be able to buy it from your insurance company for a song. It will be forever marked as a write off at dvla and hpi but if you love the car, keep it and repair it. You will get the payout and often you can get the repairs done for much less  than the insurance assessment costs. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

If it is written off you will be able to buy it from your insurance company for a song. It will be forever marked as a write off at dvla and hpi but if you love the car, keep it and repair it. You will get the payout and often you can get the repairs done for much less  than the insurance assessment costs. 

Thanks, I've been thinking about this today. Last month I got some quotes from Autotrader, Motorway, WBAC etc just out of curiosity to see what it's worth, and they ranged form £8-10k. Because it's got FSH, lowish mileage for it's age and well looked after, I'd be annoyed if the insurance company low balled me.

If they do, how does it work? Would they negotiate and what if they don't? Do you have to accept their first offer?

And I wonder how much they'd want for it if I did buy it back and get if fixed myself?

Sorry for all the questions :unsure:

If they give you a low offer for the car, email them links to the Autotrader adverts for comparable cars and say this is what I have to spend to get a like for like car. You do not have to accept their first offer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1