Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

37 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Anyone know anything useful about the Hyundai ioniq 5?..

Want to go electric and like the design of this car.

I was lucky enough to get one in November and have absolutely zero regrets, my favourite car I've had by far. 

Came out of an XC60 into it and the interior is much more spacious and comfortable. It's a dream to drive, seems to float down the road and is rapid enough if you put your foot down. Great on motorway as it goes from 50 to 80 in the blink of an eye. In fact it's surprising how fast you're going sometimes without the engine noise (did a speed awareness course last week as a result of this!!) 

Range wise, I've got the 72kW battery and the RWD and in the cold it'll do 200 miles easily and more recently thats crept up to 230, although that is pretty much all motorway miles, it's much more efficient around town. 

Got a 7kW pod point and it puts on about 10% of charge per hour at home, so charges overnight easily. Public network is a bit hit and miss but improving all the time. 

If you've any specific questions just ask or drop me a message. 

Oh, and the amount of people giving me a thumbs up or commenting on the car is a bit embarrassing really, feels like I'm in something far more exotic than a hyundai.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Wakeyfox said:

I was lucky enough to get one in November and have absolutely zero regrets, my favourite car I've had by far. 

Came out of an XC60 into it and the interior is much more spacious and comfortable. It's a dream to drive, seems to float down the road and is rapid enough if you put your foot down. Great on motorway as it goes from 50 to 80 in the blink of an eye. In fact it's surprising how fast you're going sometimes without the engine noise (did a speed awareness course last week as a result of this!!) 

Range wise, I've got the 72kW battery and the RWD and in the cold it'll do 200 miles easily and more recently thats crept up to 230, although that is pretty much all motorway miles, it's much more efficient around town. 

Got a 7kW pod point and it puts on about 10% of charge per hour at home, so charges overnight easily. Public network is a bit hit and miss but improving all the time. 

If you've any specific questions just ask or drop me a message. 

Oh, and the amount of people giving me a thumbs up or commenting on the car is a bit embarrassing really, feels like I'm in something far more exotic than a hyundai.... 

Thanks, that's really helpful. Do they now do a bigger battery option?..thought I had read the range was closer to 290?.

Do love the styling!  Millions miles better than the horrible looking Tesla range!!

46 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Thanks, that's really helpful. Do they now do a bigger battery option?..thought I had read the range was closer to 290?.

Do love the styling!  Millions miles better than the horrible looking Tesla range!!

Better looking than Tesla lollol 

47 minutes ago, weller54 said:

I've got the bigger battery one. I reckon 290 might be possible around town with no weight in the vehicle and the battery regeneration on maximum. Motorway driving reduces the range as the amount of energy required to keep 2 tons of metal going along at 70 mph is quite high. Going up a long hill into a headwind on the M1 and seeing the range plummeting is scary at first, but then on the return journey you get the benefit of the downward slope. Stop / start journeys are much better for battery life. I rarely use the brake pedal nowadays, the motor slows the car to recharge the battery. 

Funnily enough, coming to Leicester from Wakefield for football and setting off with the battery fully charged I seem to use about 35 to 40% on the way down (90 miles) and nearer to 45% on the way back. My wife said its because its uphill if you drive north.... 

I've certainly not missed the petrol station in the last 6 months, costs me about £19 for 220 miles now the electricity prices have gone up, so about 8p per mile, and £10 per month for a 3 year service plan. Also, lucky enough to have it as a company car through my own business, so it's saving me about £2500 per year in personal tax. 

The only fault I can find so far with the car is the lack of rear wiper. Which is only annoying if its raining when you're driving. That's literally the only thing I would change

On 04/05/2022 at 10:57, Unabomber said:

Thanks for that, if you could let me know the contact that would be great. @JonnyBoy what are your thoughts? I currently have a 320d.

@Unabombergreat car if you use it to save money on tax, in terms of real life saving on fuel it does 20 miles on electric roughly so v. good if you commute to work which is a short journey. It is very thirsty if you don't charge it much or go on frequent long journeys as the battery weighs 200kg. But saves £££ on BIK. 

In terms of car best car i have had, the auto gearbox is best on the market and almost 300bhp so no slouch. Spacious front and back and had the interior facelift like a lot of the recent BMW's so quality inside is really good. Highly reccomened. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JonnyBoy said:

@Unabombergreat car if you use it to save money on tax, in terms of real life saving on fuel it does 20 miles on electric roughly so v. good if you commute to work which is a short journey. It is very thirsty if you don't charge it much or go on frequent long journeys as the battery weighs 200kg. But saves £££ on BIK. 

In terms of car best car i have had, the auto gearbox is best on the market and almost 300bhp so no slouch. Spacious front and back and had the interior facelift like a lot of the recent BMW's so quality inside is really good. Highly reccomened. 

Nice one I think I will go for it if I can find one. I really like my current 320d which is the new model. 

50 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Nice one I think I will go for it if I can find one. I really like my current 320d which is the new model. 

Can't go wrong with the three series and i think you will love it if you like your 320D. What is the wait time currently on them? When i ordered mine (69 plate) was about 3 months but i bet now it is quite long wait? 

3 minutes ago, JonnyBoy said:

Can't go wrong with the three series and i think you will love it if you like your 320D. What is the wait time currently on them? When i ordered mine (69 plate) was about 3 months but i bet now it is quite long wait? 

I don’t know I’m still waiting to speak with someone. 

1 hour ago, JonnyBoy said:

Turns out that the model is having a face lift which is why they can’t provide any quotes until June they reckon. From then they think they should be available in 6-9 months. They are quoting me some 530e options soon to review.

Edited by Unabomber

21 hours ago, Wakeyfox said:

I've got the bigger battery one. I reckon 290 might be possible around town with no weight in the vehicle and the battery regeneration on maximum. Motorway driving reduces the range as the amount of energy required to keep 2 tons of metal going along at 70 mph is quite high. Going up a long hill into a headwind on the M1 and seeing the range plummeting is scary at first, but then on the return journey you get the benefit of the downward slope. Stop / start journeys are much better for battery life. I rarely use the brake pedal nowadays, the motor slows the car to recharge the battery. 

Funnily enough, coming to Leicester from Wakefield for football and setting off with the battery fully charged I seem to use about 35 to 40% on the way down (90 miles) and nearer to 45% on the way back. My wife said its because its uphill if you drive north.... 

I've certainly not missed the petrol station in the last 6 months, costs me about £19 for 220 miles now the electricity prices have gone up, so about 8p per mile, and £10 per month for a 3 year service plan. Also, lucky enough to have it as a company car through my own business, so it's saving me about £2500 per year in personal tax. 

The only fault I can find so far with the car is the lack of rear wiper. Which is only annoying if its raining when you're driving. That's literally the only thing I would change

Finding this decision tricky...

I currently have a 17 Skoda Superb sportline diesel estate... I get 50-60mpg. 

The iconiq will cost close to 50k.

Ive worked it out that I'll save about £1800 a year in fuel/running costs.

If I keep the Hyundai for 10 years, that's £18k.. what will the car be worth then? 

Finding it hard to make the numbers work.

2 minutes ago, weller54 said:

If I keep the Hyundai for 10 years, that's £18k.. what will the car be worth then? 

The cynic in me would say get the Ioniq 5, take a 3 year Gap insurance and make sure you write it off in 34 months lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

Yeah, they are expensive to buy outright. Make much more sense as a company car...  Servicing and fuel savings only go some way to reducing the purchase price... Maybe have a look at lease deals or hang on a couple of years as the prices of electric vehicles will align with ice cars soon enough. 

Anyway, all the best! 

5 minutes ago, Wakeyfox said:

Yeah, they are expensive to buy outright. Make much more sense as a company car...  Servicing and fuel savings only go some way to reducing the purchase price... Maybe have a look at lease deals or hang on a couple of years as the prices of electric vehicles will align with ice cars soon enough. 

Anyway, all the best! 

Thanks...

You're probably right, it's just a touch too early to buy one as a private punter.

...but what a beautiful looking car!

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

Thanks...

You're probably right, it's just a touch too early to buy one as a private punter.

...but what a beautiful looking car!

Would you be buying outright, or looking at a PCP?

A PCP could make sense, they'll have a pretty high residual value in 3 or 4 years, leaving you in a good position to part exchange it for something newer.

18 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Would you be buying outright, or looking at a PCP?

A PCP could make sense, they'll have a pretty high residual value in 3 or 4 years, leaving you in a good position to part exchange it for something newer.

Was thinking outright.

6 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Was thinking outright.

Get a PCP quote mate. Take it over 3 or 4 years and you'll probably have a few grand equity at the end, which would act as a deposit for your next car. 

Or, trade it in at the end of the term, then buy outright when the price of EV's have dropped a bit.

I can put you in touch with my old sales manager who now runs Hyundai in Bedford. Would go through your options with you. He's a top bloke.

You'd be looking at delivery early 2023.

• Like 1

EVs are a luxury right now IMO. Realisticslly don't see them getting cheap for at least 5 years. With the pandemic and  russia ting it might take some time.  

Canada wants to stop selling gas powered cars by 2035. Think thats a bit of a pipe dream especially if prices dont go down. But, my crv is getting older and im not ready to drop the cash in full EV.  Perhaps a hybrid but even those are pricey.

I Keep my cars  well serviced so might just stick it out and be less cool.  

• 1 month later...

Wimped out on going fully electric - I'm going to test drive a Hybrid Kia Niro tomorrow. As I've said in here before, I know next to nothing about cars so I'm not sure what to expect since I've never driven a Kia.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Wimped out on going fully electric - I'm going to test drive a Hybrid Kia Niro tomorrow. As I've said in here before, I know next to nothing about cars so I'm not sure what to expect since I've never driven a Kia.

Plug in hybrid or mild hybrid?

What sort of mileage do you do?

You buying new or used? Personal or business?

Sorry for all the questions lol

18 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Plug in hybrid or mild hybrid?

What sort of mileage do you do?

You buying new or used? Personal or business?

Sorry for all the questions lol

No need to apologise, I'm glad you replied actually. You certainly know your stuff!

Mild, I do around 15-18k miles a year, it's only a year old and done 2400 miles (I assume it's been used as a showroom test drive car) and it's personal, not business.

Edited by TiffToff88

Just now, TiffToff88 said:

No need to apologies, I'm glad you replied actually. You certainly know your stuff!

Mild, I do around 15-18k miles a year, it's only a year old and done 2400 miles (I assume it's been used as a showroom test drive car) and it's personal, not business.

Haha no problem! You're all free to PM me if you'd like any pointers!

OK, so mild is basically just a standard combustion engine with a bit of a boost. 

It's a little bit deceiving that they're called hybrids in my opinion.

Typically, the engine size is smaller and the self charging battery gives the engine a helping hand when pulling off.

There's no actual pure electric range  per se, you'll always be using fuel.

They're a good car, pretty much the same as a Hyundai Bayon. Kia is a Hyundai subsidiary, similar to how Seat or Skoda are owned be VW/Audi.

You'll get a lot of car for your money.

Now, depending on how you're buying, it could be cheaper to buy brand new, rather than an ex-demo.

If you're buying 'cash', then ex demo is the way to go, no waiting for your new motor and you're saving on list price, whilst it's still almost brand new.

If you're financing it on a PCP, the residual value will be lower on an ex demo. The interest rate will be higher and you won't get a deposit contribution from the manufacturer like you would on brand new, all of which are because it's technically a used car.

If you are financing, get a quote on brand new, it could be significantly cheaper per month. Like £60-£100 per month!!!

See what you think of it, let me know, I've got contacts at Hyundai and they might be able to get you a better deal on a Bayon.

I think you'll enjoy the drive of it :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1