Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

1 hour ago, Wakeyfox said:

Immediately before this I had an Xc60, so this is probably a touch smaller I guess. 

Don't let the battery size put you off unless you are regularly doing more than 150 miles per day. The 58 kWh battery will probably be good for around that kind of range in realistic driving conditions. And if you get a 7 kWh charger installed at home it'll be full in 8 hours (overnight). 

That's helpful to know, thank you. The range thing isn't going to be an issue 90% of the time, admittedly. Trying to see if we can stretch to the middle range trim which comes with the bigger battery anyway by default

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Any recommendations for at home ev chargers? Been quoted £899 by pod point, fitted. That might be as cheap as I'm going to get by the look of it

We've got a pod point and had no problems with it. Luckily got it free with my wife's car in a deal from vauxhall. 

I don't think you'll get one fitted for any less now, any promotions seem to have all gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Is there still a government grant for money off of home EV chargers?

The government website is unhelpfully opaque on this

The Government grant has now ended on home charging points unfortunately! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Is there still a government grant for money off of home EV chargers?

The government website is unhelpfully opaque on this

8 hours ago, Jabfox said:

The Government grant has now ended on home charging points unfortunately! 

Depends.

If you own your home, the government won't give you a penny.

However, if you're in rented accommodation, you are entitled to a grant.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Any recommendations for at home ev chargers? Been quoted £899 by pod point, fitted. That might be as cheap as I'm going to get by the look of it

Sounds about right, PodPoint are the recommended supplier by most car manufacturers. Certainly everywhere I've worked.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Depends.

Yeah, that's what I thought it said but I thought that doesn't seem very fair, forgetting that there's no reason why it should be.

Had quote through for the car today - naturally having been quoted an OTR price on Monday the basic price has gone up without explanation and a few extra bits have been added on, which is probably because it's a company car cash purchase and they think we won't be arsed, but it really dampens my enthusiasm for the whole thing and the extra grand for a charger doesn't really help

18 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Depends.

Ah wasn’t aware of this apologies! thanks for the info! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Yeah, that's what I thought it said but I thought that doesn't seem very fair, forgetting that there's no reason why it should be.

Had quote through for the car today - naturally having been quoted an OTR price on Monday the basic price has gone up without explanation and a few extra bits have been added on, which is probably because it's a company car cash purchase and they think we won't be arsed, but it really dampens my enthusiasm for the whole thing and the extra grand for a charger doesn't really help

What are you having? Is it the Ioniq 5?

Is there a certain company that your company has to use to get the car?

I can put you in touch with a Hyundai sales manager to quote you.

There are other ways around the charging, that you could make work.

A 3 pin charger at home would take 24 hours to fully charge it, but you can get from 0% to 80% on a rapid charger if you have one close by?

It's a lot to think about and get used to.

You have to ask if the government are doing enough. They've cut the contribution to buying a new EV massively and stopped the charger grant.

It's almost as if they're going to have less money in the coffers due to missing out on the tax from traditional fuel in ICE vehicles :whistle:

33 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

What are you having? Is it the Ioniq 5?

Is there a certain company that your company has to use to get the car?

I can put you in touch with a Hyundai sales manager to quote you.

There are other ways around the charging, that you could make work.

A 3 pin charger at home would take 24 hours to fully charge it, but you can get from 0% to 80% on a rapid charger if you have one close by?

It's a lot to think about and get used to.

You have to ask if the government are doing enough. They've cut the contribution to buying a new EV massively and stopped the charger grant.

It's almost as if they're going to have less money in the coffers due to missing out on the tax from traditional fuel in ICE vehicles :whistle:

The Ioniq 5 is the only one that really ticks the boxes to be honest.

My lack of enthusiasm stems from the company having a budget, and every increase in the cost falls on me. Does the cost vary much from dealer to dealer? With second hand ones barely dropping in value if at all, I cannot imagine it would much, as they know they're going to be able to sell them at full whack easily enough

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

The Ioniq 5 is the only one that really ticks the boxes to be honest.

My lack of enthusiasm stems from the company having a budget, and every increase in the cost falls on me. Does the cost vary much from dealer to dealer? With second hand ones barely dropping in value if at all, I cannot imagine it would much, as they know they're going to be able to sell them at full whack easily enough

There are margins there, just depends what a dealer is willing to offer. PM me an email address, I'll get Luke to contact you.

Be honest, send him the quote you've had, if he can beat it, he will.

Nothing in it for me anymore, but if it saves you a few quid and I can help out my mate shifting a unit, then everyone's happy! 👍 

8 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

There are margins there, just depends what a dealer is willing to offer. PM me an email address, I'll get Luke to contact you.

Be honest, send him the quote you've had, if he can beat it, he will.

Nothing in it for me anymore, but if it saves you a few quid and I can help out my mate shifting a unit, then everyone's happy! 👍 

That's very good of you, Tom, I'll do that

• Like 1

I’m sure this has been asked many times over, yes I’m shit at reading long threads, but might be tempted to get an EV. What are peoples experiences with Teslas? Heard some horror stories and others love them.

If not a Tesla, what else should I look at? Criteria is basically something that will retain a good resale value in 2/3 years due to the initial cost. Thanks 

9 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’m sure this has been asked many times over, yes I’m shit at reading long threads, but might be tempted to get an EV. What are peoples experiences with Teslas? Heard some horror stories and others love them.

If not a Tesla, what else should I look at? Criteria is basically something that will retain a good resale value in 2/3 years due to the initial cost. Thanks 

@The Bear is your man for Tesla. Pretty sure he doesn't have a bad word to say about them to be honest.

Most EV's should have a good resale value, especially as the majority come with an 8 year warranty for the battery.

Really depends on what kind of thing you like. The Hyundai Ioniq 5 is seeming popular on here, the usual German premium brands are also offering some good cars now too, particularly Audi and Mercedes. The new Kia EV6 looks great too.

Don't know much about them, but the Polestars look decent, made by Volvo, I think?

Also worth considering how you're paying for it. A PCP would guarantee you a minimum future value, so if the market absolutely crashed, you could just hand it back to the finance company if worst came to worst.

Edited by tom27111

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

@The Bear is your man for Tesla. Pretty sure he doesn't have a bad word to say about them to be honest.

Most EV's should have a good resale value, especially as the majority come with an 8 year warranty for the battery.

Really depends on what kind of thing you like. The Hyundai Ioniq 5 is seeming popular on here, the usual German premium brands are also offering some good cars now too, particularly Audi and Mercedes. The new Kia EV6 looks great too.

Also worth considering how you're paying for it. A PCP would guarantee you a minimum future value, so if the market absolutely crashed, you could just hand it back to the finance company if worst came to worst.

Thanks mate. That’s the other element of it that I’m thinking about but very good point about guaranteeing a future value.

Still in the early stages of looking, can you even test drive Tesla’s?

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Thanks mate. That’s the other element of it that I’m thinking about but very good point about guaranteeing a future value.

I'm sure you can request a test drive from Tesla online.

I wouldn't think a massive market crash would happen.

So basically with the PCP, they'd say after the 3 or 4 year agreement, the car will be worth 25k. Ideally, the car will be worth 28-30k and you use that equity as a deposit on the next car.

If it's worth 18k, you don't need to cover any negative equity, you just hand it back, wash your hands of it and start again. 

You've not 'lost' anything. Your deposit and monthly payments effectively mean you've rented it for that period.

But don't put a massive deposit down on something you'll never own. Only put down what you can afford to put down the next time.

With an HP, whack down as much as you want, because the car will be yours at the end of the agreement, with a PCP, it won't. Unless you pay the balloon payment, which is the guaranteed future minimum value.

Don't mean to come across as patronising if you already know! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'm sure you can request a test drive from Tesla online.

I wouldn't think a massive market crash would happen.

So basically with the PCP, they'd say after the 3 or 4 year agreement, the car will be worth 25k. Ideally, the car will be worth 28-30k and you use that equity as a deposit on the next car.

If it's worth 18k, you don't need to cover any negative equity, you just hand it back, wash your hands of it and start again. 

You've not 'lost' anything. Your deposit and monthly payments effectively mean you've rented it for that period.

But don't put a massive deposit down on something you'll never own. Only put down what you can afford to put down the next time.

With an HP, whack down as much as you want, because the car will be yours at the end of the agreement, with a PCP, it won't. Unless you pay the balloon payment, which is the guaranteed future minimum value.

Don't mean to come across as patronising if you already know! 

No that’s all good mate not at all, I appreciate the info. I think a crash is unlikely as well so might be tempted by getting one on their finance but it’s bloody expensive. Trying to think of the saving on fuel and then it works out to not be the worst.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

My mate test drove a Model Y the other week, so yes. It may not have been in Leicester, mind 

• Like 1

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

No that’s all good mate not at all, I appreciate the info. I think a crash is unlikely as well so might be tempted by getting one on their finance but it’s bloody expensive. Trying to think of the saving on fuel and then it works out to not be the worst.

Always feel free to ask anything on here and tag me in it, other people like to know a bit too from my experience on this thread!

PM's always open too.

It's been my job on and off for 5 years and I like to think I was good at it. And always want you lot to get what's best for you.

It's a bloody minefield buying a car.

I dealt with it every day, most people do it every 3 to 5 years.

• Like 1

Yeah you can still test drive Teslas. The nearest place is probably the Nottingham branch, right next to the cricket ground. Though the cars have only risen in price recently and the waiting lists are getting bigger all the time, especially if you want the Y and not the 3. The government grants have dried up for both buying the car and installing a home charger, so that's another factor to remember when buying electric as that'll add to the overall cost. 

If you're unsure about what car to get then definitely test drive one first. The styling and minimalist interior isn't for everyone. I think horror stories are very rare nowadays as all of the European cars since 2021 now come from the China gigafactory. All the major issues used to be from the US Freemont factory. 

As far as which Tesla to go for, 90% of use cases you'd want the Long Range version rather than the Standard or Performance. 

Any specific questions feel free to PM me. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

On 22/06/2022 at 15:09, Wakeyfox said:

image.png.94139a8a1eed24b3ff94af7d150662e4.png

Had this for 7 months and it's by far my favourite car I've ever had. Literally no downsides to it.

I can fully endorse getting a Hyundai. I've had a Kona Electric (64kWh PREMIUM) since Jan and it's been brill, best company car I've ever had! Genuinely does 240+ miles to a charge & effortless to drive.

2 hours ago, EBGB LCFC said:

I can fully endorse getting a Hyundai. I've had a Kona Electric (64kWh PREMIUM) since Jan and it's been brill, best company car I've ever had! Genuinely does 240+ miles to a charge & effortless to drive.

I was offered one but it's just not big enough, which is a shame as I thought it was really cool