Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

What sort of cars do people buy when they've just passed their test these days? 

My son is taking lessons atm and he's looking around for a car, but everything seems so expensive to insure.

Hyundai i10 is a good starter car.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

My son is taking lessons atm and he's looking around for a car, but everything seems so expensive to insure.

No matter what car your son buys insurance will cost an arm and a leg simply as he's a young driver on the road. 

You can get black box insurance which may bring it down 

But as weller54 pointed out a small car is your best bet - Hyundai i10. Volkswagen UP or Polo, Ford Fiesta, Seat Ibiza or Kia Picanto

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature

Never heard of this until my bro mentioned it yesterday. The fuk??? This should be illegal IMO. Buy the feature or dont. 

Son enough you will have to pay a monthly fee to use the car you have bought lol. Access to the gas pedal? Gunna cost ya £20 a month. But you csnt have thay without access to the brake pedal so another £20 a month.

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature

Never heard of this until my bro mentioned it yesterday. The fuk??? This should be illegal IMO. Buy the feature or dont. 

Son enough you will have to pay a monthly fee to use the car you have bought lol. Access to the gas pedal? Gunna cost ya £20 a month. But you csnt have thay without access to the brake pedal so another £20 a month.

That's actually pretty good value. 

Peugeot charge over £500 for heated seats as an added extra, I imagine it's a lot more on a factory order BMW.

But it begs the question, why put the technology in the car if someone isn't going to buy the subscription?

If it's already there, but you don't subscribe, why do people have to pay a fortune to have it as an optional extra normally?

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

That's actually pretty good value. 

Peugeot charge over £500 for heated seats as an added extra, I imagine it's a lot more on a factory order BMW.

But it begs the question, why put the technology in the car if someone isn't going to buy the subscription?

If it's already there, but you don't subscribe, why do people have to pay a fortune to have it as an optional extra normally?

£10 a month say for 5 months a year?  Sure that is cheaper at first but then are you telling me all new cars will be shipped with every possible option it just wont be activated until you pay for it? Maybe that's too simple of a statement. Perhaps these are good options for those who want the perk later or the subsequent owner etc. 

But,  do you think manufacturers are going to eat the cost of this hoping people sign up?

I'd be surprised (if so). I would imagine base prices would go up even if it was "cheaper" for them at the shop floor level to build all cars the same.

No manufacturer does something that benefits customers money over their own lol.

Perhaps it's more complex then this but this whole "drive" to offer everything under the sun as an option benefits nobody but companies.  

There are pros and cons on both sides but just not a fan of it personally as i think it will lead to more nickel and diming us non rich folk.

8 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

£10 a month say for 5 months a year?  Sure that is cheaper at first but then are you telling me all new cars will be shipped with every possible option it just wont be activated until you pay for it? Maybe that's too simple of a statement. Perhaps these are good options for those who want the perk later or the subsequent owner etc. 

But,  do you think manufacturers are going to eat the cost of this hoping people sign up?

I'd be surprised (if so). I would imagine base prices would go up even if it was "cheaper" for them at the shop floor level to build all cars the same.

No manufacturer does something that benefits customers money over their own lol.

Perhaps it's more complex then this but this whole "drive" to offer everything under the sun as an option benefits nobody but companies.  

There are pros and cons on both sides but just not a fan of it personally as i think it will lead to more nickel and diming us non rich folk.

I don't disagree mate, it definitely poses more questions than it answers.

Like @The Bear just said, typically people only keep a new car for around 3 years, so the subscription could actually work.

But if they're putting them in as standard in every car, you would think the base price would rise.

Maybe it only costs them say £200 per car and makes the assembly line more streamlined, so they'll still be quids in.

And I'm sure it wouldn't take much for someone to plug a diagnostic machine in and activate it.

10 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Like @The Bear just said, typically people only keep a new car for around 3 years, so the subscription could actually work.

But if they're putting them in as standard in every car, you would think the base price would rise.

Maybe it only costs them say £200 per car and makes the assembly line more streamlined, so they'll still be quids in.

And I'm sure it wouldn't take much for someone to plug a diagnostic machine in and activate it.

It will work over the WiFi and be controlled using your phone.

2 minutes ago, kenny said:

It will work over the WiFi and be controlled using your phone.

Someone will find a way around it.

If you've recently ordered a BMW, be prepared for an even longer wait for your new car.

The amount of super-chips that'll be needed to make every seat and steering wheel capable of being heated will be ridiculous. 

Most manufacturers are removing things like this as standard to save chips and get units actually produced.

The timing of it is very puzzling because of this.

51 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Dont know about england but everyone of my friends, most family dont keep cars for only 2 or 3 years.  We buy (not lease) keep for 5 to 10 plus years so for us it doesnt make sense.

What i am saying is if they raise the base price of a car to account for those who may or may not subscribe then you pay more in the end then if you bought the option outright if you arent a leaser etc.

Probably need more stats  to make a call on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

An Ioniq 5 has been ordered for me through work.

Does feel mad that I'll be entrusted with a vehicle costing 5 times any I've ever bought for myself.  I'll be a nervous wreck, just as well it won't be here for months

What colour did you go for in the end? 

On 13/07/2022 at 09:45, FoxesDeb said:

Vauxhall corsa? 

28 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

What colour did you go for in the end? 

"Digital Teal Green", which doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but I like a green(ish) car so it was the natural choice in the end.

Thanks for putting me in touch with your guy; everyone I've spoken to at the various dealerships I've tried has been perfectly nice but it was only him that really went the extra mile and seemed enthusiastic about actually selling a vehicle

• Like 1

EML came on the other day. Had it seen to by my trusted mechanic... Fuel pumps aren't functioning properly which is setting off the emissions code. It needs to be stripped down so they can take a look.

Worst case scenario, they have to be replaced: £750

Also had my service, MOT and my insurance premium is due for renewal. Potentially up to £1,500 on the fvcking thing in a month. 

I think I need to take up cycling. FML. Genuinely struggling to afford this.

Edited by RoboFox

On 13/07/2022 at 09:45, FoxesDeb said:

Hyundai i10 seems the best bet judging by the fact I see absolute hoards of them around here.

• Thanks 1

On 13/07/2022 at 19:32, tom27111 said:

Apparently a lot of manufacturers include the heating elements and necessary cabling in all car seats, and and the only difference between cars with and without heated seats is the switchgear to actually be able to turn it on. I'm told this is because it's actually more cost effective for the manufacturer to just mass produce 1 model of seat (then upholster as per spec of car ordered) than have fewer units made of 2 variants, and end up with a surplus of one variant. It wouldn't surprise me if base models are sold as a bit of a loss-leader and charging £500+ for the heated seat option makes up for it as more people would specify this than not

I think that's why Dacia did away with their ultra-low spec Sandero. It was one thing to be able to have the most affordable car on the market, but hardly anyone is ordering the base model with manual windows, no radio, no air con etc

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Test drove the Tesla Y today, still laughing to myself about the acceleration. 

Saw the Mustang Mach E a few days ago and that looks amazing.

Tesla is the way forward. Not sure on the price of the Mach e or anything about it really. I have a Tesla model 3LR. Fantastic car. So easy to drive 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SystonFox said:

Tesla is the way forward. Not sure on the price of the Mach e or anything about it really. I have a Tesla model 3LR. Fantastic car. So easy to drive 

Mach E is a very similar price to the Y. Both very expensive even with the fuel saving.

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Mach E is a very similar price to the Y. Both very expensive even with the fuel saving.

Test drove an ionic 5, id5 and an ev6 today.

None were amazing, but the id5 was the best on balance. Its the low quality interior that lets them down for me.

2 minutes ago, kenny said:

Test drove an ionic 5, id5 and an ev6 today.

None were amazing, but the id5 was the best on balance. Its the low quality interior that lets them down for me.

What do you mean by low quality? Is it lack of leather seats? Or do you think they're just a bit plasticy on the dash?

If it's the seats, most manufacturers are getting rid of leather to appear more environmentally friendly.

Edited by tom27111