Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

Just now, Nalis said:

Cooled off looking but will probably start again in a few weeks.

Thanks for the offer of tips, I might need it!

Give me a shout mate.

Short answer, you can haggle! There's always room for manoeuvre and a deal that suits buyer and seller. 

Depends if you're looking new or used. And the deposit you put down makes a difference, obviously. 

But don't be tempted to put a big deposit in to make the monthly payment cheaper...you'll never own it, unless you pay the balloon at the end.

It could be cheaper to buy new rather than something up to 18 months old, as crazy as that sounds.

But as I said, feel free to give me a shout. Depending on what you want, I've got contacts too :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

We're thinking of replacing our 2009 Audi A6. We are considering a few options. Second hand car by Bank loan or HPF or leasing a new car. Mrs P is in favour of leasing as all the things that one normally pays for are covered by most leasing agreements. Which kinda makes sense. I am a bit concerned about mileage restriction and returning a lease car in VGC and once the lease is up, are we then captive to any increases in the cost? Also, once the lease ends, do we get a renewal option with another car? 

@tom27111for advice :thumbup:

12 minutes ago, Parafox said:

We're thinking of replacing our 2009 Audi A6. We are considering a few options. Second hand car by Bank loan or HPF or leasing a new car. Mrs P is in favour of leasing as all the things that one normally pays for are covered by most leasing agreements. Which kinda makes sense. I am a bit concerned about mileage restriction and returning a lease car in VGC and once the lease is up, are we then captive to any increases in the cost? Also, once the lease ends, do we get a renewal option with another car? 

The lease will literally be a long term rent. You won't even have the option to buy it at the end.

It's a good way to get access to a brand new car that you otherwise would pay a lot of money for on a PCP, but you build no equity in the car and you're tied in to the lease for the duration.

You also do have to stick to the mileage, or they will charge you for anything over.

A bank loan will give you a much better interest rate compared to car finance. But if you need a loan for some kind of emergency, you'll find it harder to get one if have an existing one, whereas car finance is secured on the car, so you still have the option of getting a bank loan if you ever needed to.

My advice would be have a look around at what sort of thing you like, narrow it down, take some for test drives and chat to the salesman.

If you get a good one, they'll be honest with you and quote you. Look at the figures for PCP and HP, then see what a loan for that amount would cost you.

PCP would offer a lower monthly payment, you'd also get the option to buy the car at the end of the term, or re-finance it. And importantly, you can build equity.  For example, if you have a 4 year PCP, but want to change after 3, if you owe 10k, but your car is worth 12k, that extra 2k is yours as cash, or as a deposit to your next car.

I hope that makes sense?! 

Please feel free to PM me at any time. I've got contacts who deal with brand new cars and someone at a used car supermarket with access to virtually and brand.

• Thanks 1

I'll also add @Parafox have a browse online, probably more so on traditional dealers as opposed to online only retailers and they'll all have finance calculators to give you an idea of what you'll pay monthly.

You'll notice the difference in PCP and HP! 

But as I say, absolutely any questions at all, I'm more than happy to help.

I can also try and sweet-talk a mate in to getting you a valuation for your old car, but as a general rule, the initial quote that WBAC give you is a very good guide.

Said it lots before and I'll say it again...you guys do this once in a blue moon, I did it every day :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Leave me out of it guv... :) 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Why am I a bit sad about about the demise of the Ford Fiesta?

I've never had one, my Mum has had four and my brother one and most of them were a bit crap

I had 4 in my younger days - T reg bog 1.25L, 03 reg 1.4L, 56 reg and an 07 reg ST. Good memories.

Now waiting on an electric car to be built, the waiting time is a complete joke. 

47 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I had 4 in my younger days - T reg bog 1.25L, 03 reg 1.4L, 56 reg and an 07 reg ST. Good memories.

Now waiting on an electric car to be built, the waiting time is a complete joke. 

Nobody in my family had anything as exciting as an ST, although there was a W reg Ghia. 

I too am waiting on an electric car. Got left a voicemail with an update from the dealership this morning telling me it's due in on 16th April (2023, presumably), which would be more exciting if they hadn't already told me that before.

Thinking of setting up a semi conductor factory in my shed, they cannot be that hard to make, surely? I'll be quids in

11 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Nobody in my family had anything as exciting as an ST, although there was a W reg Ghia. 

I too am waiting on an electric car. Got left a voicemail with an update from the dealership this morning telling me it's due in on 16th April (2023, presumably), which would be more exciting if they hadn't already told me that before.

Thinking of setting up a semi conductor factory in my shed, they cannot be that hard to make, surely? I'll be quids in

Its an absolute joke, I ordered mine at the end of Feb 2022....

33 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Its an absolute joke, I ordered mine at the end of Feb 2022....

i work for Arval car leasing and we are delivering cars now ordered back at the start of 2021 and before, current lead times are upto 18 months on some makes and not reducing anytime soon im afraid

23 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've never had one, my Mum has had four and my brother one and most of them were a bit crap

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

I thought the same, even though I'd never buy one. Parents had several when I was a child, I think a FireFox was the most exciting they got.

Edit: might have been a FireFly.... something like that anyway...

Edited by FoyleFox

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

I thought the same, even though I'd never buy one. Parents had several when I was a child, I think a FireFox was the most exciting they got.

Edit: might have been a FireFly.... something like that anyway...

True story: two friends and I travelled to the 1999 League Cup Final in the back of an E reg Fiesta Firefly with a lesbian couple in the front seats. 

The most remarkable thing about this story is how we actually fitted in the bloody thing, all three of us are quite big lads

On 04/10/2022 at 22:24, weller54 said:

Views on the MG4?

I've seen one in the metal and its a nice looking car.

Didn't get to see the interior but the MG's I've sat in do fall a bit short there in terms of quality of materials/finish - I work for another manufacturer and and although non-premium, our cars are a better place to be. Hard to beat the MG's for bang for buck though, albeit I think a lot of people miss the fact you're effectively buying from the Chinese state (yes you could say that about lots of products)

Edited by hebangsthedrums

On 26/10/2022 at 14:12, tom27111 said:

The lease will literally be a long term rent. You won't even have the option to buy it at the end.

It's a good way to get access to a brand new car that you otherwise would pay a lot of money for on a PCP, but you build no equity in the car and you're tied in to the lease for the duration.

You also do have to stick to the mileage, or they will charge you for anything over.

A bank loan will give you a much better interest rate compared to car finance. But if you need a loan for some kind of emergency, you'll find it harder to get one if have an existing one, whereas car finance is secured on the car, so you still have the option of getting a bank loan if you ever needed to.

My advice would be have a look around at what sort of thing you like, narrow it down, take some for test drives and chat to the salesman.

If you get a good one, they'll be honest with you and quote you. Look at the figures for PCP and HP, then see what a loan for that amount would cost you.

PCP would offer a lower monthly payment, you'd also get the option to buy the car at the end of the term, or re-finance it. And importantly, you can build equity.  For example, if you have a 4 year PCP, but want to change after 3, if you owe 10k, but your car is worth 12k, that extra 2k is yours as cash, or as a deposit to your next car.

I hope that makes sense?! 

Please feel free to PM me at any time. I've got contacts who deal with brand new cars and someone at a used car supermarket with access to virtually and brand.

A lease payment is based on the difference between the agreed upon sale price and the residual value of the vehicle at the end of the agreed upon lease period, plus taxes and interest. The residual value is used to determine the vehicles worth at lease end and is the amount the dealer would ask you to pay to keep the vehicle - which you have the right to do. A lease payment is nearly always less than any kind of finance unless the finance is spread over a much longer period of time. A lease is a good idea for people who like new cars frequently or do not want to have any maintenance expenses over, say a three-year period. Also, as the worlds used car market it hot right now due to lack of supply chain issues and computer chips, people can actually turn a profit at the end of the lease as the residual value can now be much less than the used car sale price. In these situations dealers will try to buy you out of the lease early - or maybe offer you a new deal on a new lease which seems to be too good to be true. You should check the used values to determine if it makes sense to purchase at the end of the lease and then immediately sell for a profit, or flip the same back to the dealer using the equity you now have. Regardless, you always have the option to purchase at the end of the lease (it's contractual), and usually the payments are always less for more vehicle over the same measured period than a purchase.

Edited by AndyElZorro
spelling

5 hours ago, AndyElZorro said:

Regardless, you always have the option to purchase at the end of the lease (it's contractual), and usually the payments are always less for more vehicle over the same measured period than a purchase.

No you don't.

That's completely untrue for PCH, which is the main way that dealers lease a car.

You never get the option to buy, see source below.

https://www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/car-leasing/guides/contract-hire

5 hours ago, AndyElZorro said:

A lease payment is based on the difference between the agreed upon sale price and the residual value of the vehicle at the end of the agreed upon lease period, plus taxes and interest. The residual value is used to determine the vehicles worth at lease end and is the amount the dealer would ask you to pay to keep the vehicle - which you have the right to do. A lease payment is nearly always less than any kind of finance unless the finance is spread over a much longer period of time. A lease is a good idea for people who like new cars frequently or do not want to have any maintenance expenses over, say a three-year period. Also, as the worlds used car market it hot right now due to lack of supply chain issues and computer chips, people can actually turn a profit at the end of the lease as the residual value can now be much less than the used car sale price. In these situations dealers will try to buy you out of the lease early - or maybe offer you a new deal on a new lease which seems to be too good to be true. You should check the used values to determine if it makes sense to purchase at the end of the lease and then immediately sell for a profit, or flip the same back to the dealer using the equity you now have. Regardless, you always have the option to purchase at the end of the lease (it's contractual), and usually the payments are always less for more vehicle over the same measured period than a purchase.

18 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

No you don't.

That's completely untrue for PCH, which is the main way that dealers lease a car.

You never get the option to buy, see source below.

https://www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/car-leasing/guides/contract-hire

92A0CF87-C6C4-41F0-8D9C-EDB005E553AF.jpeg.e8ddf7a2a09691d856b9d3b0a379861b.jpeg

Versus 

BBF7864E-17FA-4C6F-B059-74FFC53A5720.jpeg.8c2d0825438d4da51e22ee3656c3ec15.jpeg

Game on ! 

On 27/10/2022 at 16:23, Fathead1981 said:

i work for Arval car leasing and we are delivering cars now ordered back at the start of 2021 and before, current lead times are upto 18 months on some makes and not reducing anytime soon im afraid

Thanks for the good news, thats cheered me up on a Monday morning

On 26/10/2022 at 17:30, Bellend Sebastian said:

Fantastic car and probably the best modern day hot hatch, but sales dwindled due to the smaller SUVs. Had mine for 18 months and definitely the best car I've ever owned, sadly the most stolen vehicle in the UK though.