Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Anyone signed up to one of the diesel compensation claim companies? My car seems to fit the profile that might be eligible. Just registered on Diesel-imissions.com. It's a no win, no fee agreement. However, they take 30% if its a win. 

No, but have considered looking into it. We've had a couple of diesel cars. Is there a simple criteria? 

9 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

No, but have considered looking into it. We've had a couple of diesel cars. Is there a simple criteria? 

We used this one but others are available. I was (still am) wary of these compensation firms but Trust Pilot reviews gave them a good recommendation. 

https://diesel-emissions.com/

They ask for your details to join up with the class action and send a lengthy legal document that's enough to glaze over anyone's eyes. 

I had a quick check with Martin Lewis and it seems legit. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/diesel-emissions-group-legal-claims/

12 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Anyone signed up to one of the diesel compensation claim companies? My car seems to fit the profile that might be eligible. Just registered on Diesel-imissions.com. It's a no win, no fee agreement. However, they take 30% if its a win. 

Signed up to initial group action against VW with Slater & Gordon. Took 30 mins to fill a form and 3 years later cash in the bank. Easy money… although nowhere near what I lost on value of car.

Edited by ScubaBlue

57 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

We used this one but others are available. I was (still am) wary of these compensation firms but Trust Pilot reviews gave them a good recommendation. 

https://diesel-emissions.com/

They ask for your details to join up with the class action and send a lengthy legal document that's enough to glaze over anyone's eyes. 

I had a quick check with Martin Lewis and it seems legit. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/diesel-emissions-group-legal-claims/

Thanks. I was just going to post the Martin Lewis link, which had just come up on twitter. I'm uncertain how we'd know if the car was sold under value. We have just traded our last diesel car in. And it mentions knowing that in the article. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. Quick question for those of you more in the know than myself. My daughter, who will be 21 in January, is looking at upgrading her car. At the minute the choice is either a Ford Fiesta or a Nissan Juke. Obviously the Fiesta's are a more common car for her age with reasonably cheap running costs and insurance. However she did her driving lessons in a Juke and still likes the style and they are very similar in price not only buying but also the fuel economy and the insurance works out about the same. Spec levels, if anything are probably slightly higher in the Juke for the same money but are they as reliable? She is looking at spending £10,000 max so looking at around a16-18 plate and 40,000-60,000 miles. Not fussed really wether its petrol or diesel but dont want anything too powerful or sporty because of the higher insurance brackets, but want a car that isnt sluggish or feels too heavy to drive.

Thanks for reading

24 minutes ago, NAKC20 said:

Hi all. Quick question for those of you more in the know than myself. My daughter, who will be 21 in January, is looking at upgrading her car. At the minute the choice is either a Ford Fiesta or a Nissan Juke. Obviously the Fiesta's are a more common car for her age with reasonably cheap running costs and insurance. However she did her driving lessons in a Juke and still likes the style and they are very similar in price not only buying but also the fuel economy and the insurance works out about the same. Spec levels, if anything are probably slightly higher in the Juke for the same money but are they as reliable? She is looking at spending £10,000 max so looking at around a16-18 plate and 40,000-60,000 miles. Not fussed really wether its petrol or diesel but dont want anything too powerful or sporty because of the higher insurance brackets, but want a car that isnt sluggish or feels too heavy to drive.

Thanks for reading

@tom27111

35 minutes ago, NAKC20 said:

Thanks for reading

10 minutes ago, Raj said:

I'll reply properly later, but they seem to be reliable.

Also worth considering a Renault Captur if they're cheaper than a Juke, they're basically the same car, built on the same chassis.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'll reply properly later, but they seem to be reliable.

Also worth considering a Renault Captur if they're cheaper than a Juke, they're basically the same car, built on the same chassis.

My mrs has a Renault captur and loves it.

It's only 1liter engine  I think  but still fine some how!

Edited by Raj
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NAKC20 said:

Thanks for reading

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Dunno. Just his opinion I guess :dunno:

Fully get why you posted it and must admit i didnt watch all of it. Not a car i have looked at personally but looking at some of the interiors and the spec they come with must say they do look smart.

4 hours ago, NAKC20 said:

Thanks for reading

10k on a car when you're 21 is bonkers to me, but each to their own.

If you get a Fiesta get some security on it, the most nicked car in the UK. Viper 106v immobiliser and steering lock/disklok at a minimum. OBD ports moved and maybe a boot alarm too if you wanna go proper. Saying that they're a lovely car, not as expensive as other brands, easy to work on and a nice interior.

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Agreed, I think they are one of the ugliest out there. My Renault Captur is hardly the most attractive car but it's still much better looking than the Juke imo

5 hours ago, Raj said:

My mrs has a Renault captur and loves it.

It's only 1liter engine  I think  but still fine some how!

All the best gals have Capturs😎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NAKC20 said:

Thanks for reading

I've just had a quick look, you would get a better spec Captur for that amount of money.

It totally depends if a Captur would be something she'd have though?

A lot of the Jukes will be a 1.2 petrol a 1.6 petrol or a 1.5 diesel.

The Captur is available in a 0.9 petrol, which would be great for insurance and still pokey enough, believe it or not.

Something like a Sig Nav spec would have some nice bits on it and get you value for money.

Like I said earlier, they are the same car, much like the Renault Kadjar is built on a Nissan Qashqai chassis.

Both reliable cars, but as always, have them serviced regularly and they can go on for years.

You said you weren't bothered about petrol or diesel, but it's actually quite important. 

If she's just mainly doing short journeys around town and not long drives regularly, you really need a petrol.

The last thing you want on a diesel is for your DPF to clog up, it'll cost bloody thousands to put right and 95% of warranties won't cover it.

As for Fiestas, they're also reliable and cheap to run, again, the smaller engines are pokey enough. I think Ford offer a 0.9 ecoboost?

All down to personal preference, for myself, I absolutely detest the entertainment/nav setup on Fords, hideous to use, but some people might like it.

I think you'd get more toys on the Juke or Captur, just little touches like reversing camera and stuff.

I'd honestly recommend going to a garage and sitting in a few and see what she likes and what you'll get for your money.

If you have any more questions or would like any advice from a former car salesman, feel free to ask :thumbup:

That's for any part of the process, how you'll pay, warranties, finance options...

I still know a few guys in the trade too, I can always ask them to keep an eye out for something you fancy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't touch a Juke with a barge pole, personally, worst Honest John score I've ever seen, with a huge list of problems reported.

My Missus wanted a Qashqai for a while and the reliability write ups for them were equally poor. While we were looking, I noticed an unusually high number of them broken down at the side of the road, not a great advert

10 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Wouldn't touch a Juke with a barge pole, personally, worst Honest John score I've ever seen, with a huge list of problems reported.

My Missus wanted a Qashqai for a while and the reliability write ups for them were equally poor. While we were looking, I noticed an unusually high number of them broken down at the side of the road, not a great advert

Cars are just such odd things.

My mother in law has got a Qashqai and never had a problem. Sister in law has got a Juke and the same, they love them.

JLR have such an awful reputation too, but I know people who swear by them and have never had a problem.

I mean, I worked at a Peugeot main dealer and the amount of customers who came back every 3 years for a new one blew my mind! 

You get good ones, you get bad ones.

You'll normally know in the first 6 months if it's a bad one, then the dealer is obliged to do something and look after you.

Edited by tom27111

7 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Cars are just such odd things.

My mother in law has got a Qashqai and never had a problem. Sister in law has got a Juke and the same, they love them.

JLR have such an awful reputation too, but I know people who swear by them and have never had a problem.

I mean, I worked at a Peugeot main dealer and the amount of customers who came back every 3 years for a new one blew my mind! 

You get good ones, you get bad ones.

You'll normally know in the first 6 months if it's a bad one, then the dealer is obliged to do something and look after you.

I'm always wary as I keep cars for years, with only a fraction of the time I own them being covered by a warranty. Having bought a car that was known to experience a common problem, needless to say it developed it and I never did get it sorted properly. I agree, luck plays a big part, but I always improve the odds in my favour by avoiding cars that are known to have expensive weaknesses.

So many cars are leased or on PCPs or whatever that this stuff isn't on a lot of people's radar anymore, understandably 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NAKC20 said:

Thanks for reading

And if she's looking for other suggestions of something that'd be suitable, please say.

I'm sure a few of us could come up with some ideas.

What does she currently drive? 

Thanks for all the replies peoples. Been this afternoon to a car supermarket just to compare the Fiesta and the Juke. Inside and the specs on a Juke generally are better than a Fiesta, however, think the looks of the Juke are very much 'Marmite' and think that is swaying us to the Fiesta. She works about 6 miles from home on mainly country roads but most weekends she plays netball around the Coventry/Nuneaton area so that involves a lot of motorway miles so thats why not sure if best to go for petrol or diesel.