Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

And if she's looking for other suggestions of something that'd be suitable, please say.

I'm sure a few of us could come up with some ideas.

What does she currently drive? 

Currently has a Vauxhall Corsa. Its a good car but its only a 3 door and as she is now working full time and we are getting her to taxi us she needs a 5 door. Also her sister has a Fiesta and the spec on that is very good and feels as tho the Corsa is a bit basic for her now.

2 minutes ago, NAKC20 said:

Currently has a Vauxhall Corsa. Its a good car but its only a 3 door and as she is now working full time and we are getting her to taxi us she needs a 5 door. Also her sister has a Fiesta and the spec on that is very good and feels as tho the Corsa is a bit basic for her now.

I'm going to throw in an absolute wildcard here...

If you like the Fiesta, but also like the slightly higher driving position of a Juk, like a small SUV...I present to you the Fiesta on steroids

https://www.bigmotoringworld.co.uk/used-cars/ford/ecosport/titanium-s-220358

• Thanks 1

Seat do one aswell, a beefed up Ibiza.

I know this one is too much money, but you might find one in budget...

https://www.bigmotoringworld.co.uk/used-cars/seat/arona/se-technology-213327

Now that's basically a VW. Incredibly reliable and still only a 1 litre engine.

Just something to think about. Loads of cars out there in that price bracket that'll last a long time.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'm going to throw in an absolute wildcard here...

If you like the Fiesta, but also like the slightly higher driving position of a Juk, like a small SUV...I present to you the Fiesta on steroids

https://www.bigmotoringworld.co.uk/used-cars/ford/ecosport/titanium-s-220358

I remember we looked at the Ecosport before we bought the Captur, don't they have the weird opening boot door? I don't think there was much room in the back, either.

I had a Fiesta fairly recently, the 0.9 ecotec and it was nice, surprisingly nippy and it had a reversing camera and plenty of other bells and whistles, but it was just that. Nice. I can't really put my finger on why I traded it in now but I think it was just a bit boring. Cars are so subjective though, and unfortunately I'm not 21 anymore which may have a bearing on the poster's choice!

The Arona looks nice, and I think I've said before that could well be my next car when it's time to trade. That or a Mazda cx3 in that beautiful shade of red they do. 

• Like 1

I'd honestly say @NAKC20 go on a few of the big supermarkets/online dealers websites, pit your filters on for price and mileage and see what you fancy. Then run some insurance quotes.

That'll narrow it down. Only then go and physically look. You'll get the hard sell at some places, but if you find a good salesman, you'll build a rapport and they'll find you exactly what you want.

Some want the cash, some actually want to do their job.

I've been talking to customers for 8 months before selling them a car. 

But they bought from me because I listened. I didn't even bother pestering them with phone calls, just sent an email if something came in stock.

Paid off eventually, but the customer was happy.

Better than phoning someone every day saying "You want this or what? lol

4 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I remember we looked at the Ecosport before we bought the Captur, don't they have the weird opening boot door? I don't think there was much room in the back, either.

I had a Fiesta fairly recently, the 0.9 ecotec and it was nice, surprisingly nippy and it had a reversing camera and plenty of other bells and whistles, but it was just that. Nice. I can't really put my finger on why I traded it in now but I think it was just a bit boring. Cars are so subjective though, and unfortunately I'm not 21 anymore which may have a bearing on the poster's choice!

The Arona looks nice, and I think I've said before that could well be my next car when it's time to trade. That or a Mazda cx3 in that beautiful shade of red they do. 

The ecosport doesn't have a boot lid, it's literally a door that swings right open lol

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

The last thing you want on a diesel is for your DPF to clog up, it'll cost bloody thousands to put right and 95% of warranties won't cover it.

Just had ours in the garage due to a clogged DPF, albeit on a petrol. We've had it less than 6 months and although the warranty didn't technically cover it, they have fixed it without charging us.

38 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yep that's the one! Can't open the boot if you've reversed into your space :blink:

I don't even how why they've done it. I can see why some people hate it.

But for me the worst thing is that the boot handle is hidden in the light cluster.

I mean, once you know its there, it isn't a problem at all.

But when you're trying to open it for the first time lol I nearly lost my mind!

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

I'd honestly say @NAKC20 go on a few of the big supermarkets/online dealers websites, pit your filters on for price and mileage and see what you fancy. Then run some insurance quotes.

That'll narrow it down. Only then go and physically look. You'll get the hard sell at some places, but if you find a good salesman, you'll build a rapport and they'll find you exactly what you want.

Some want the cash, some actually want to do their job.

I've been talking to customers for 8 months before selling them a car. 

But they bought from me because I listened. I didn't even bother pestering them with phone calls, just sent an email if something came in stock.

Paid off eventually, but the customer was happy.

Better than phoning someone every day saying "You want this or what? lol

Spent the last 24 hours more or less constantly looking at different models, fuel economy and insurance groups etc... Totally agree about being given the hard sell at some places as spent many a time over the last 3-4 years wondering around car sales and if we feel like we are being pushed will simply walk away even if the car could be just what we were looking for. No doubt will be doing the same again tomorrow and hopefully will eventually find the right car at the right price and everybody will be happy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, polarbear said:

@tom27111 any thoughts on buying a 2nd hand plug in hybrid which has approx 100k miles (2018 model)? Any experience wirh that scenario and how well they tend to run?

I'll be honest mate, not something I've come across before.

Would definitely want a guarantee on the battery though. Not sure how easy it is to get info on what the state of the battery would be.

On 28/12/2022 at 20:32, NAKC20 said:

Spent the last 24 hours more or less constantly looking at different models, fuel economy and insurance groups etc... Totally agree about being given the hard sell at some places as spent many a time over the last 3-4 years wondering around car sales and if we feel like we are being pushed will simply walk away even if the car could be just what we were looking for. No doubt will be doing the same again tomorrow and hopefully will eventually find the right car at the right price and everybody will be happy

How you getting on mate, did you find anything?

Little plug (no pun intended) but may be beneficial to some. Just started a new job as a PM at a renewable energy firm. Anyone looking at having an EV charging point installed, give me a shout and I’ll make sure you get looked after.

Also, felt a bit awkward turning up on the first day in a 3L V6 diesel lol

16 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Little plug (no pun intended) but may be beneficial to some. Just started a new job as a PM at a renewable energy firm. Anyone looking at having an EV charging point installed, give me a shout and I’ll make sure you get looked after.

@Milo

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

And @Bellend Sebastian, you collected your new motor yet?

Still April delivery date. In fairness, not changed since the order went in in August, so may actually happen?

27 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Oooh, might take you up on that. Haven't decided for definite that I'll get one but I'm more likely to take the plunge than not

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Still April delivery date. In fairness, not changed since the order went in in August, so may actually happen?

Oooh, might take you up on that. Haven't decided for definite that I'll get one but I'm more likely to take the plunge than not

Aah, I had January in my head for some reason.

Phone up Luke and see if the build date is confirmed. 

Then ask him when he's next playing golf with me lol

He's a hard man to get hold of!

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Aah, I had January in my head for some reason.

Phone up Luke and see if the build date is confirmed. 

Then ask him when he's next playing golf with me lol

He's a hard man to get hold of!

They rang me up about 3 times to give me the same date in April and I said just to let me know if it changes. I think he's passed me on to an underling anyway!

• Like 1

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

They rang me up about 3 times to give me the same date in April and I said just to let me know if it changes. I think he's passed me on to an underling anyway!

At least they're keeping you up to date. Last thing you want is to be chasing them.

I've worked at places where salesmen avoid phoning the customer for a week delay, when they've been waiting 6 months.

They lay it on thick for the sale, but shit themselves over any bad news which is way beyond their control!

Id rather have the honest conversation. And they dont get paid until you drive away!

Luke is the big dog, so fair play lol

11 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

No problem mate, give me a message any time. Not trying to drum up business (that’s not my job), always happy to help out a fellow FT’er though. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

How you getting on mate, did you find anything?

We/she did. Had a few negative things said about the Duke but came across a Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost from a main dealer not to far from us. It has all the gadgets you could wish for, sensors front and rear, reversing camera, sat nav, bluetooth etc.. (and it can even park itself though im sure that is just a gimmick to far) Slightly above the original budget but its in brilliant condition with full dealer service history and only done just over 24000 miles on a 67 plate. Not got it yet but she cant wait. Was very impressed by the garage as absolutly no pressure on looking round it, had half a tank of fuel on the test drive and told us to go as far as we wanted and no push for any extras or even using their own finance

Thanks for you advice from the previous post. If you ever see me down at the King Power i will buy you a pint. I will be the one in the Leicester City shirt 👍🤣

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NAKC20 said:

We/she did. Had a few negative things said about the Duke but came across a Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost from a main dealer not to far from us. It has all the gadgets you could wish for, sensors front and rear, reversing camera, sat nav, bluetooth etc.. (and it can even park itself though im sure that is just a gimmick to far) Slightly above the original budget but its in brilliant condition with full dealer service history and only done just over 24000 miles on a 67 plate. Not got it yet but she cant wait. Was very impressed by the garage as absolutly no pressure on looking round it, had half a tank of fuel on the test drive and told us to go as far as we wanted and no push for any extras or even using their own finance

Thanks for you advice from the previous post. If you ever see me down at the King Power i will buy you a pint. I will be the one in the Leicester City shirt 👍🤣

Excellent news, really pleased you've found something.

It can be a minefield, buying a car.

Sounds like you've had a good experience, that's how it should be.

And I've done nothing mate, just glad you've not had a shite time buying a car.

I hope she enjoys it :thumbup:

• Like 1

I.love my mazda 2.

Its boring simple and easy like me.

BUT I want yo get a dab radio installed

I know you can get the dab pure highway ones and fit them yourself.

Is it worth it, or better getting a professional installation?

I'm close to a couple of places on Green lane rd so might pop in for a quote.

9 minutes ago, Raj said:

I.love my mazda 2.

Its boring simple and easy like me.

BUT I want yo get a dab radio installed

I know you can get the dab pure highway ones and fit them yourself.

Is it worth it, or better getting a professional installation?

I'm close to a couple of places on Green lane rd so might pop in for a quote.

😘

• Haha 1