Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

46 minutes ago, Raj said:

I.love my mazda 2.

Its boring simple and easy like me.

BUT I want yo get a dab radio installed

I know you can get the dab pure highway ones and fit them yourself.

Is it worth it, or better getting a professional installation?

I'm close to a couple of places on Green lane rd so might pop in for a quote.

You'll need one of those little aerials stuck on the inside of the windscreen either way.

Does the existing stereo sound good? If so I'd probably go down the Pure route as it's very easy to swap a manufacturer's head unit for something that is supposedly better and it ends up not sounding as good as the factory set up

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

You'll need one of those little aerials stuck on the inside of the windscreen either way.

Does the existing stereo sound good? If so I'd probably go down the Pure route as it's very easy to swap a manufacturer's head unit for something that is supposedly better and it ends up not sounding as good as the factory set up

Existing one is fine so I think your right about getting just the pure type rather than swapping the whole lot over.

My current car may be on its last legs.  I can keep it going but the repair bills are getting increasingly horrendous so it may be more economical to replace it.  Not that I'm complaining, I bought it new 17 years ago and looked after it so I've had decent value for money.

I've liked to buy cars new and then keep them well maintained but may have to move from that as many new cars now have a wait time from order to delivery which would be inconvenient.  So I need a replacement and would welcome recommendations, also ones to avoid.

I don't need anything larger than a small family car that will fit a couple of golf bags.  It has to be acceptable to Mrs Crinkly as well as its possible that both she and the car will outlive me so it will one day be her car.  Advice from women drivers therefore particularly welcome.  Electric is out of the question due to prices.  Comfort a priority over performance.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies to this post.

5 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

My current car may be on its last legs.  I can keep it going but the repair bills are getting increasingly horrendous so it may be more economical to replace it.  Not that I'm complaining, I bought it new 17 years ago and looked after it so I've had decent value for money.

I've liked to buy cars new and then keep them well maintained but may have to move from that as many new cars now have a wait time from order to delivery which would be inconvenient.  So I need a replacement and would welcome recommendations, also ones to avoid.

I don't need anything larger than a small family car that will fit a couple of golf bags.  It has to be acceptable to Mrs Crinkly as well as its possible that both she and the car will outlive me so it will one day be her car.  Advice from women drivers therefore particularly welcome.  Electric is out of the question due to prices.  Comfort a priority over performance.

What's your budget mate?

I'm sure @tom27111will be able to advise but this bloke is well worth listening to IMO.

Here's one of his video's on best Top SUV's for under 10k for example.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

My only advice is if you don't already,  consider choosing an automatic. I never understand why more people don't drive them in the UK. So much easier to drive, especially as people get older. 

I love my Renault Captur, it's got a surprisingly big boot and comfortably fits 4 adults, but still not too big and very enjoyable to drive. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

My only advice is if you don't already,  consider choosing an automatic. I never understand why more people don't drive them in the UK. So much easier to drive, especially as people get older. 

I love my Renault Captur, it's got a surprisingly big boot and comfortably fits 4 adults, but still not too big and very enjoyable to drive. 

Fully agree. After I got my semi-auto Audi I said I'd never go back to manual. 

Auto boxes are nothing like the old days with lurching gear changes. Mine changed gears in milliseconds. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

The only reason I've never had an automatic is that I've only ever driven mass market rather than top notch brands, with little or no warranty coverage and if an automatic gearbox fails it can be a car killer and I've known this happen to a few people over the years. That said, my Dad's had nothing but Ford automatics for the last 15 years or so with no issues of note, and there's no way he'd go back to manual now.

My new car will be an automatic (there's no choice) so that will be interesting, to say the least.

9 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

How much are you looking at spending?

What are you driving at the minute?

You got anything in mind at all?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

I'd like to spend less than £20k.  Current car is a Honda Civic ES.  Nothing in mind.

OK, definitely worth thinking about something nearly new, such as an ex-demo from a main dealer (I know you said you'd like new, but the wait time is too long)

Big discounts to be had and you'll benefit from a large chunk of manufacturers warranty still covering it.

If you get the time, might be worth visiting a car supermarket first, having a sit in a few things to draw up a shortlist and rule others out.

If you're really open to anything and don't need anything too big, you can't really go wrong with a VW Golf. They can be expensive though, but hold their value. 

The sister car to that is a Seat Leon. Almost the same, but it'll be cheaper.

I'm just about to set off to work, but I'll have a think :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

Just going to PM you some links to have a look at @Crinklyfox, I don't need to bore everyone on here with them all!

Have a look and see what you think to some. Not necessarily those exact ones from that dealer, but just an idea of what you'll get for your money.

I've put a couple of Honda's in there too, as that's what you've been driving for so long.

And there are endless motors that will suit you, because you're very open to things by the sound of it.

Feel free to ask anything else :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

I'd like to spend less than £20k.  Current car is a Honda Civic ES.  Nothing in mind.

Is that the model that's been replaced a couple of times? The first of the wedge shape ones? If it's been good for you I'd consider sticking with Honda. My wife's got a 14 plate one and it's been great. Know a couple of other folk with the same one and they're really happy too - don't know about the current one but Honda owners, like you, seem to be very loyal and keep them for ages

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Is that the model that's been replaced a couple of times? The first of the wedge shape ones? If it's been good for you I'd consider sticking with Honda. My wife's got a 14 plate one and it's been great. Know a couple of other folk with the same one and they're really happy too - don't know about the current one but Honda owners, like you, seem to be very loyal and keep them for ages

Just realised that the Civic was replaced AGAIN last year, making ours two models out of date

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Just going to PM you some links to have a look at @Crinklyfox, I don't need to bore everyone on here with them all!

Have a look and see what you think to some. Not necessarily those exact ones from that dealer, but just an idea of what you'll get for your money.

I've put a couple of Honda's in there too, as that's what you've been driving for so long.

And there are endless motors that will suit you, because you're very open to things by the sound of it.

Feel free to ask anything else :thumbup:

Thanks Tom, much appreciated.  Now I have to introduce Mrs C to FT........

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's the original of the 'new shape' Civic launched in 2006.  I bought it new after my wife was very impressed when she test drove it.  It's been going for nearly 17 years now and apart from a couple of early niggles has been great.  I budgeted to run it for 10 years so have had my money's worth and more.  About 5 years ago I test drove the latest Civic (at that time) and wasn't as impressed with it as my Mk1 version.  Thanks for the info about last year's new model, I'll take a look but expect that it may be beyond my budget.

3 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

It's the original of the 'new shape' Civic launched in 2006.  I bought it new after my wife was very impressed when she test drove it.  It's been going for nearly 17 years now and apart from a couple of early niggles has been great.  I budgeted to run it for 10 years so have had my money's worth and more.  About 5 years ago I test drove the latest Civic (at that time) and wasn't as impressed with it as my Mk1 version.  Thanks for the info about last year's new model, I'll take a look but expect that it may be beyond my budget.

We bought the next generation one (14 plate) although it was only really on our radar because a friend had the one you've got and we were really impressed.

We've been really happy with it although I think earlier versions (2011 to 2012) aren't as well regarded as they made a bit of a hash of the new model and hastily made some revisions within about a year when it became apparent it wasn't nearly as popular as the one you've got.

Is it this one that might be in your price range?

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/honda/civic/2017/good

If not or not of interest then that website is great if you're not familiar with it. They have good reviews of both manufacturers current ranges and previous models, so good for researching new and used cars, and as well as summarising what they like and don't like about them they list the problems that owners have had. There are of course no cars that never have problems, but you soon get a feel for those that might be at higher risk of something expensive going wrong 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

Thanks Tom, much appreciated.  Now I have to introduce Mrs C to FT........

Anything you liked the look of on there? 

Without wanting to sound disrespectful at all, and please don't take it that way, a lot of older people find an SUV so helpful to get in and out of. Much less beding down getting in and so much easier to get out of.

Certainly worth considering :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 06/01/2023 at 09:20, FoxesDeb said:

Absolutely.  After an automatic you never go back.  The fact I can eat a three course meal whilst driving is a huge plus.  

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Anything you liked the look of on there? 

Without wanting to sound disrespectful at all, and please don't take it that way, a lot of older people find an SUV so helpful to get in and out of. Much less bending down getting in and so much easier to get out of.

Certainly worth considering :thumbup:

We'll certainly take a look at small SUVs, at present getting into and out of the car isn't a problem but neither of us are getting any younger.  Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

We'll certainly take a look at small SUVs, at present getting into and out of the car isn't a problem but neither of us are getting any younger.  Thanks for the tip.

Well I'm 43, with a notoriously bad back. My days of getting in and out of sports cars are long gone lol

3 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Would anyone buy a discontinued car? Also what's a good car to buy that's both good in the motor way and local drives?

I don't think I've ever owned a car that was the current version. Parts only usually become a problem if you buy something that was only made for a limited time in a factory the manufacturer didn't usually use or something like that, or you're literally buying a 'classic' that's over 30 years old.

Most modern cars with sufficient power will be alright on the motorway. It's only the tiny engined 'city cars" that will feel like hard work keeping up with motorway traffic

• Thanks 1