Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

11 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Would anyone buy a discontinued car? Also what's a good car to buy that's both good in the motor way and local drives?

Interesting timing. 

I think I’m just about to buy a discontinued car - and I had the same concerns that I think you have.
That any resale value would be negligible, and parts/support issues.
Obviously manufacturers have to provide support for x amount of years after a car is discontinued, but my main concern was resale. 

If bought on a pcp, however, there is an agreement on the final value of the car - so I couldn’t really see much of a downside for the one I was looking at. 

@tom27111 has his moments in these kinds of situations, and is well worth a shout! 

Edited by Milo

5 minutes ago, Milo said:

Interesting timing. 

I think I’m just about to buy a discontinued car - and I had the same concerns that I think you have.
That any resale value would be negligible, and parts/support issues.
Obviously manufacturers have to provide support for x amount of years after a car is discontinued, but my main concern was resale. 

If bought on a pcp, however, there is an agreement on the final value of the car - so I couldn’t really see much of a downside for the one I was looking at. 

@tom27111 has his moments in these kinds of situations, and is well worth a shout! 

Trust me, parts/support won't be an issue.

There will be tens of thousands, probably hundreds of thousands of most mass market cars still trundling around 15 years or so after they stop being made. There's a huge market for components to keep cars running, it's only when manufacturers know that most of them have fallen to bits that support is withdrawn

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

There will be tens of thousands, probably hundreds of thousands of most mass market cars still trundling around 15 years or so after they stop being made.

And when you consider that many cars of different makes share the same basic components etc then the supply of parts, both original and pattern, will be around for a good while. My Volvo for instance is pretty much a Ford, or a BMW, etc...  parts sharing a gogo

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Would anyone buy a discontinued car? Also what's a good car to buy that's both good in the motor way and local drives?

Yes. Bought a Freelander just as they were discontinued. As a result, got a great deal on a top of the range, all the kit 6-month-old ex demo model. No issues with parts or support.

• Thanks 1

We'll the car I really want is the toyota urban cruiser, it kinda flopped in the uk (not cos it's a bad car just cos not many people wanted it) and I think uk didn't sell much of them. I know euro carparts don't have much parts for it. My main issue is what if something happens I can't get hold of the parts. Not bother losing value as I wanna keep it for a fews years

18 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

We'll the car I really want is the toyota urban cruiser, it kinda flopped in the uk (not cos it's a bad car just cos not many people wanted it) and I think uk didn't sell much of them. I know euro carparts don't have much parts for it. My main issue is what if something happens I can't get hold of the parts. Not bother losing value as I wanna keep it for a fews years

It's got the same wheelbase as a Toyota Yaris, so parts should be plentiful. 

I'd be hesitant to recommend it for motorway driving though. You'd definitely want the bigger engine diesel model if you did.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

It's got the same wheelbase as a Toyota Yaris, so parts should be plentiful. 

I'd be hesitant to recommend it for motorway driving though. You'd definitely want the bigger engine diesel model if you did.

When I say motorway use I means like once every 3 weeks or so.

So basically uses it once a month on the motorway (Manchester to Leicester,) to see family, other than that be going to work which is about 20/30 minutes aways. I have a toyota corolla 1.6 54 plate now but cos its gonna cost me about 2k in repairs as I got told parts are hard to get hold of now so i thought il just get a another used car (toyota urban cruiser) but I noticed that car was discontinued and don't wanna end up in the same boat where I can't find parts hench the question. And if it help budget is about 4k max as I wanna buy a house soon too 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeamRocket said:

So basically uses it once a month on the motorway (Manchester to Leicester,) to see family, other than that be going to work which is about 20/30 minutes aways. I have a toyota corolla 1.6 54 plate now but cos its gonna cost me about 2k in repairs as I got told parts are hard to get hold of now so i thought il just get a another used car (toyota urban cruiser) but I noticed that car was discontinued and don't wanna end up in the same boat where I can't find parts hench the question. And if it help budget is about 4k max as I wanna buy a house soon too 

Think you've been a bit unlucky there, surprised that they are saying parts are hard to get for a Corolla, it's one of the most popular cars ever made.

Any car for four grand will be discontinued. I'd maybe go for something a bit less niche than the Urban Cruiser, that's not a common car in the UK so may not be as well supported as more popular models. It may not be exciting but your budget will get you a 1.6 petrol Toyota Auris a few years newer than your current car.

Other Japanese cars (Honda Jazz, Civic, Mazda 2, 3) also worth a look. 

For that budget, personally I'd avoid automatics or diesels. More to go wrong and a diesel that age is likely to face increasing issues with clean air zones already introduced and being considered in a number of cities now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Think you've been a bit unlucky there, surprised that they are saying parts are hard to get for a Corolla, it's one of the most popular cars ever made.

Any car for four grand will be discontinued. I'd maybe go for something a bit less niche than the Urban Cruiser, that's not a common car in the UK so may not be as well supported as more popular models. It may not be exciting but your budget will get you a 1.6 petrol Toyota Auris a few years newer than your current car.

Other Japanese cars (Honda Jazz, Civic, Mazda 2, 3) also worth a look. 

For that budget, personally I'd avoid automatics or diesels. More to go wrong and a diesel that age is likely to face increasing issues with clean air zones already introduced and being considered in a number of cities now

Thanks will look in to the others you have suggested 

30 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Why is looking for cars so hard 😫 

Horrible isn't it!

Plenty of options out there with that budget though, @Bellend Sebastian made some good suggestions.

If you don't need anything very big, the Yaris is worth considering too.

So would something like a Fiesta.

Decide what's vital to have on the car, then think what's desirable too.

Whack it all in to the Auto Trader filters and make a shortlist.

It's always difficult, doesn't matter if you're spending £750 of £100k, it's a lot of money.

• Like 1

Signed and sealed on a new motor today. First time buying from a main dealer and the service was excellent, was dead surprised how much we got for part ex, and how willing they were to do a deal. We basically named a price per month and they threw money at us to get it over the line. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Manini said:

Signed and sealed on a new motor today. First time buying from a main dealer and the service was excellent, was dead surprised how much we got for part ex, and how willing they were to do a deal. We basically named a price per month and they threw money at us to get it over the line. 

That's not a good sign lol

On 14/01/2023 at 19:10, tom27111 said:

Horrible isn't it!

Plenty of options out there with that budget though, @Bellend Sebastian made some good suggestions.

If you don't need anything very big, the Yaris is worth considering too.

So would something like a Fiesta.

Decide what's vital to have on the car, then think what's desirable too.

Whack it all in to the Auto Trader filters and make a shortlist.

It's always difficult, doesn't matter if you're spending £750 of £100k, it's a lot of money.

I think I need something that will be okay for the odd 1s  or 2 Times a month on the motorway  from Manchester  to  Leicester   that about it n to and from work which is about 20 min drive 

On 14/01/2023 at 18:36, TeamRocket said:

Why is looking for cars so hard 😫 

What really helped me and my wife was visiting a massive dealership- just walking around and looking at the aesthetics of the cars.   We also were able to get in most of them to get a feel as well.

That helped us to whittle the list to 5/6 cars then that's when we did our research and quickly worked out which cars are within our budget. 

I am writing this as a total noob when it comes to cars.  

44 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Are fiesta st's easy to nick? Been made aware of a couple being stolen locally.

They're definitely targeted more.

The few that I've driven from stock I've had in all had after market immobilisers fitted.

One was a right pain in the arse, believe it or not, you had to put a sequence in to the electric mirror adjustment pad, then the hazards would flash and you could start the car.

During covid times, I set up a customer for a test drive in it, he couldn't get the thing to work, there was a knack to it. As he drove off I said "please don't stall it"

Five minutes later, I get a phone call. He'd stalled it lol

But given the choice, Polo GTI for me all day long.

• Haha 1