Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

31 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

You'll get used to it in no time and you'll never go back to a manual :) 

29 minutes ago, Raj said:

You'll be fine mate, alot of older people use automatics and survive!!!!:ph34r:

I'm sure you're right, but for the time being if you find yourself driving behind an Ioniq 5 in the next couple of weeks, maybe give it a bit of extra space, yeah?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm sure you're right, but for the time being if you find yourself driving behind an Ioniq 5 in the next couple of weeks, maybe give it a bit of extra space, yeah?

If I find you driving near me I'll have to assume it got stuck in drive for about 4 days lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

You need to get a baby on board sticker 😂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, weller54 said:

It was a bit dodge...12 years MOT history missing on the DVLA website!!... So left that one be 😁..

I've currently got a 2002 Golf MK 4 Anniversary 150tdi which is a great car and a joy to drive... so biding my time to get a R32.

Definitely a red flag or two there!

• Like 1

Some advice please people. I've accepted that it's time to go full boring bastard and get an SUV (or something similar). Will probs go for used (2022) and currently looking at a Sportage, Qashqai or maybe a T-Roc.

Would want an automatic but open to petrol, diesel or hybrid.

Any recommendations?

19 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Some advice please people. I've accepted that it's time to go full boring bastard and get an SUV (or something similar). Will probs go for used (2022) and currently looking at a Sportage, Qashqai or maybe a T-Roc.

Any recommendations?

The new Sportage is stunning. Drove one a couple of weeks ago and I'd actually put it up there with one of the best all round cars I've ever driven.

The Renault Kadjar is worth a look too. It's a Qashqai with a different badge, built on the same chassis and very similar specs, but you won't pay as much for it.

Depending on what kind of mileage you do, I'd probably steer clear of a hybrid. The benefits of the very small electric range aren't really worth it. And it could  cost you more in electricity to charge it than it would to put fuel in.

I once made the mistake of driving to Anfield in a hybrid. Probably could've flown there cheaper.

Peugeot 3008's are pretty decent too actually. They're a nice drive and kitted out well as long as you go above the basic Allure spec.

The Seat Ateca might suit you too. Much like a Qashqai and Kadjar, it's essentially the same car as a VW T Roc, but without the premium branding. 

I'd also throw in to the mix a Skoda Karoq (essentially the same as the VW and Seat) and the Hyundai Kona.

Please feel free to PM for any buying advice whatsoever. I'm not on here much anymore, but I do browse this topic and look at PM's :thumbup:

Edited by tom27111
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Any recommendations?

I'd also add mate, as mad as this sounds, if you're buying it on finance, like a PCP, it could be cheaper to buy brand new.

I've said this many times on here before, and sorry for that, but varying factors such as manufacturers deposit and interest rates on brand new vehicles, compared to used, could work in your favour.

It looks great when you see a 12 month old car with a slogan saying "save £5000", but if you get in to the details and compare these factors, you might be £50 better off a month if you can wait a few months for a factory order, or even take one that's not been registered that's sitting in the showroom. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

Any recommendations?

The missus has a new Quashqai that I really like. It’s a petrol variant and drives really well. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

Any recommendations?

My old man just bought a 2021 Honda CR-V petrol auto 

It's an absolute tank with a nice spec and he's delighted with it. Might be worth a look?

He nearly went for the Kia Sportage but you can't go wrong with a Honda engine really.

Was behind a Seat Terraco yesterday, never seen one before and it looked lovely in FR trim. Reminded me a bit of an X5 but I bet it wouldn’t cost anywhere near!! (Because it’s not a BMW obviously lol but still) 

Edited by Manini

I’m trying to flog my wife’s mini

Where’s the best place to do this?  I currently have it on gumtree and Facebook and have priced it realistically 

I have used auto trader before, but are you going to reach a broader market than Gumtree and FB?

ebay is the other obvious place 

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Motorway? You'll get offers from various dealers on there. Probably not as good as private sales but you never know. 

Will give it a go

edit: it predicted about half of what I’d get privately!  May give that a serve!!!

Edited by Wolfox

I've had an electric car for a week and I think that's me converted.

I don't read them but I keep getting links to negative articles, especially in the Telegraph, about 'how the EV dream is over' and stuff like that. They seem absolutely furious about them for some reason

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I don't read them but I keep getting links to negative articles, especially in the Telegraph, about 'how the EV dream is over' and stuff like that. They seem absolutely furious about them for some reason

I'm the same - never looked back. Yes the range is limiting, but plenty of chargers everywhere and I'm not doing 200+ mile round trips every day. I've used a public charger twice in 4 months.

Great alternative from a company car tax point of view aswell. 

• Like 1

On 09/05/2023 at 15:49, Bellend Sebastian said:

Yep agreed.

I’m currently on the north coast of Scotland and have seen more charge points than petrol stations. Driven about 700 miles in a week and had no issues at all.

Which one have you gone for?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yep agreed.

I’m currently on the north coast of Scotland and have seen more charge points than petrol stations. Driven about 700 miles in a week and had no issues at all.

Which one have you gone for?

That's reassuring news. An Ioniq 5. Difficult to be sure of real world range yet but it's not far off 300 miles. Not convinced I'm going to be doing many round trips that are anywhere near that

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That's reassuring news. An Ioniq 5. Difficult to be sure of real world range yet but it's not far off 300 miles. Not convinced I'm going to be doing many round trips that are anywhere near that

The only disappointing element of EVs is the drop off on motorway driving but like you say it’s not very often you are going to do more than 300 miles in one trip.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

The Ioniq is a nice looking car. 

At some point the infrastructure will make it viable for everyone who doesn't have their own parking space. Every place of business will have multiple chargers in their parking spaces. You'll have an account linked to your car/registration and you'll just plug in wherever you go to top up as you go and it'll be debited from your bank automatically. 

20 minutes ago, The Bear said:

At some point the infrastructure will make it viable for everyone who doesn't have their own parking space. Every place of business will have multiple chargers in their parking spaces. You'll have an account linked to your car/registration and you'll just plug in wherever you go to top up as you go and it'll be debited from your bank automatically. 

The infrastructure is improving all the time, I noticed in Fulham at the weekend that the lamp posts had charge points in them. I hadn't seen that before.

Am off to Fully Charged Live next weekend, looking forward to seeing the new options. Would've gone electric last year when changing the car, but nothing we liked in our budget range.

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Bear said:

It's certainly a space age looking car, and having owned a series of thoroughly unremarkable vehicles over the years, it's the first car I've had where I've clocked people actually looking at it.

Even if they weren't stopping production of ICE vehicles I think the EV cat is now well and truly out of the bag and there's no going back now for the reasons you've said and others.

We've got massive solar panels at work that at times can power the office, recharge several company vehicles AND return power to the grid. The idea of putting dinosaur juice into cars to make them go is going to seem a bit weird in not too many years, I think.

The main barrier is of course how insanely expensive they are. Mine's a company car and I wouldn't be able to buy one in a million years - well I'd not choose to spend that sort of money unless I earned about 3 times what I do now, anyway 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's certainly a space age looking car, and having owned a series of thoroughly unremarkable vehicles over the years, it's the first car I've had where I've clocked people actually looking at it.

Even if they weren't stopping production of ICE vehicles I think the EV cat is now well and truly out of the bag and there's no going back now for the reasons you've said and others.

We've got massive solar panels at work that at times can power the office, recharge several company vehicles AND return power to the grid. The idea of putting dinosaur juice into cars to make them go is going to seem a bit weird in not too many years, I think.

The main barrier is of course how insanely expensive they are. Mine's a company car and I wouldn't be able to buy one in a million years - well I'd not choose to spend that sort of money unless I earned about 3 times what I do now, anyway 

I find the fact how quiet it is when driving strange to get used to

49 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

The infrastructure is improving all the time, I noticed in Fulham at the weekend that the lamp posts had charge points in them. I hadn't seen that before.

They don’t work! 

And the ones that look like they work will only allow you to use them if you sign up for a monthly charge. I assume they’re more for residents use.

Pretty frustrating, tbh, as it looks like a decent solution.