Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

23 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Tebay is the GOAT of services.

The deli is.

Anything in a jar or a bottle isn't.

Stopped off and bought quite a few pickles and marmalades for my mother in law...found the exact same things in my local sainsburys for half the price.

I also bought a bottled drink in there for about £3.50. I begrudged paying it, but I was gasping and didn't want to stop anywhere else, so I could get home ASAP. 

Saw the identical drink in a £1 shop in Northampton a couple of days later.

They mugged me right off lol

15 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Went to Fully Charged Live this weekend, got to experience lots of test drives, my first time driving an EV. Very enjoyable and informative. If it was affordable I'd definitely get one, sadly nothing I like is. 

What did you have a go in?

The big thing for me is a change in mindset.

If I'm driving an ICE vehicle, I know how far I can go with a 1/4 tank of fuel.

In an EV, I'm thinking "fvck me, I've done 5 miles and lost 2%. I need a charger ASAP" lol

I had to take a Tesla up to Scotland and @The Bear was lovely enough to give me some great advice.

Put your destination on the sat nav and it tells you exactly where to stop and charge.

My problem was it told me I'd make Gretna Green services on 1%. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a drive in a Tesla, Polestar, a couple of Hyundai - 5 & 6 and something else. 

They'd others you could test, Nissan, Kia, BYD but they definitely wouldn't be of interest so didn't bother. Couldn't get in for the Genesis.

The £378k hybrid Ferrari wasn't taking bookings, which was disappointing!

I think the charging would take some getting used to. I'm in the petrol station as soon as I'm at 1/4 tank and I'm nervous when my phone goes to 50% 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FoyleFox said:

Had a drive in a Tesla, Polestar, a couple of Hyundai - 5 & 6 and something else. 

They'd others you could test, Nissan, Kia, BYD but they definitely wouldn't be of interest so didn't bother. Couldn't get in for the Genesis.

The £378k hybrid Ferrari wasn't taking bookings, which was disappointing!

I think the charging would take some getting used to. I'm in the petrol station as soon as I'm at 1/4 tank and I'm nervous when my phone goes to 50% 😂

The Polestars look banging. Never driven one though. I believe Volvo own them?

Tesla's are incredible bits of kit, but I just don't like the look of them. Incredible drive though, well, once I'd figured out how to start it!

Hyundai's and Kia's are so good. Obviously still very expensive, but probably the best value for money.

And a hybrid Ferrari? Jesus. Imagine making a car with worse fuel economy than a 5 litre petrol Ferrari and saying its better for the planet lol

The weight of the battery will kill it!

I read an article the other day that Ferrari are simply refusing to comply with the ban on combustion engines.

Hybrids are a bit of a fraud, they aren't as efficient or clean as a modern diesel engine. Genuinely can't believe they're a thing.

I'm definitely coming round to EV's. This country still has a hell of a lot of work to do though on the infrastructure. 

The Polestar was the favourite drive of the day. Yes, owned by Volvo. Really nice drive. 

I like the shape of some of the Tesla's but bloody hell the suspension was made of rock!

The Ionic 6 was a nice drive but the aesthetics of the 5 put me off greatly. And i just couldn't face owning a Kia (sorry, Kia owners).

Ideally wanted to try the MG4 and an ipace but neither were there. 

Quite a few hybrid's there but I'm not really seeing the point, most only had a small range. So, completely agree with you. 

The infrastructure is improving and I imagine in another 2 or 3 years will be significantly better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

The Polestar was the favourite drive of the day. Yes, owned by Volvo. Really nice drive. 

I like the shape of some of the Tesla's but bloody hell the suspension was made of rock!

The Ionic 6 was a nice drive but the aesthetics of the 5 put me off greatly. And i just couldn't face owning a Kia (sorry, Kia owners).

Quite a few hybrid's there but I'm not really seeing the point, most only had a small range. So, completely agree with you. 

The infrastructure is improving and I imagine in another 2 or 3 years will be significantly better. 

I wasn't sure, but now I've got one I think it looks ace. Makes loads of other cars look old fashioned and makes ME look like Robocop or I'm in Blade Runner* or something

*What folk actually think is hey that car looks cool and interesting but wait why is it being driven by that hairy tramp guy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Wait, you wouldn't haven't a Kia, but you were interested in the MG?!

Please take this in jest, as it's intended, but don't be snobbish lol

Kia and Hyundai are basically the same company. There's nowt wrong with a Kia. I've not driven one yet, but that EV6 looks awesome.

I'm a big fan (as you'll have read above) of their new Sportage. 

The Kia/Hyundai relationship is really interesting actually.

I believe Kia bought the rights to make the Lotus Elan. It went tits up and Hyundai rescued them. Now they share pretty much the same platform for all of their cars. Similar to how Stellantis own Fiat, Jeep, Peugeot, Citroën, Vauxhall...drive one, you've driven them all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I wasn't sure, but now I've got one I think it looks ace. Makes loads of other cars look old fashioned and makes ME look like Robocop or I'm in Blade Runner* or something

*What folk actually think is hey that car looks cool and interesting but wait why is it being driven by that hairy tramp guy?

Don't compare yourself to Robocop...

61f.jpeg

Ha ha. Its full scale snobbery. Guilty as charged. 

Many, many years ago I had an MG sports car,  so have a soft spot for them but realistically, I wouldn't buy one now. I was curious though. 

I was taken to look at a Sportage last year when we were changing the car, I left the garage after about 2 minutes 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Ha ha. Its full scale snobbery. Guilty as charged. 

Many, many years ago I had an MG sports car,  so have a soft spot for them but realistically, I wouldn't buy one now. I was curious though. 

I was taken to look at a Sportage last year when we were changing the car, I left the garage after about 2 minutes 😂

Look at the brand spanking new one. Genuinely, as someone who has driven nearly everything, it's a bloody good car.

At the risk of boring everyone, because I've said it before, probably the best all-rounder available right now. It's actually that good.

I don't even work for them!

It's similar to VW/Audi group...you could but a Cupra Leon. For 5k more, you could get a Golf. For another 5k, you could get an Audi.

It's the same damn car!

You'd be insane not to buy the Cupra lol

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Look at the brand spanking new one. Genuinely, as someone who has driven nearly everything, it's a bloody good car.

At the risk of boring everyone, because I've said it before, probably the best all-rounder available right now. It's actually that good.

I don't even work for them!

It's similar to VW/Audi group...you could but a Cupra Leon. For 5k more, you could get a Golf. For another 5k, you could get an Audi.

It's the same damn car!

You'd be insane not to buy the Cupra lol

Loved my Audi 😬😂

Steady on. I'm out of my comfort zone looking at a Polestar! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Loved my Audi 😬😂

Steady on. I'm out of my comfort zone looking at a Polestar! 

Haha could be worse mate, you could've opted for the Mercedes...People think they're really fancy driving round in one of those, until you point out the engine is made by Renault/Nissan lol

And no, I'm not joking :D

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Haha could be worse mate, you could've opted for the Mercedes...People think they're really fancy driving round in one of those, until you point out the engine is made by Renault/Nissan lol

And no, I'm not joking :D

Had one of those too :D

And a Renault and a Nissan. First ever car was a Nissan Micra. It was cracking little car. It was *cough* a lot of years ago and I probably would've loved anything at 17.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

And a Renault and a Nissan. First ever car was a Nissan Micra. It was cracking little car. It was *cough* a lot of years ago and I probably would've loved anything at 17.

Right, I'm getting back in to the motor trade, I could make a fortune out of you lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

The Polestars look banging. Never driven one though. I believe Volvo own them?

Tesla's are incredible bits of kit, but I just don't like the look of them. Incredible drive though, well, once I'd figured out how to start it!

Hyundai's and Kia's are so good. Obviously still very expensive, but probably the best value for money.

And a hybrid Ferrari? Jesus. Imagine making a car with worse fuel economy than a 5 litre petrol Ferrari and saying its better for the planet lol

The weight of the battery will kill it!

I read an article the other day that Ferrari are simply refusing to comply with the ban on combustion engines.

Hybrids are a bit of a fraud, they aren't as efficient or clean as a modern diesel engine. Genuinely can't believe they're a thing.

I'm definitely coming round to EV's. This country still has a hell of a lot of work to do though on the infrastructure. 

Dunno about polestar (although a wifes colleague has one). A fellow a few houses down from  mine has a Vinfast VF8 (i believe), saw him cleaning it whilst walking my kids home from school.  Looked absolute mint although no idea how good they are. More confusing as they apparently havent been or shouldnt be delivered to  customers officially until june. Maybe he knows someone that knows someone lol.

Im in the market for a new car but hybrids are out. Over priced and not worth it based on why ove researched to date. Think i am going to stick with and ICE until electric get cheaper they are insanely priced right now and the infrastructure here in Canada is light years away from being able to support them. Goodluck finding a charger in remote areas of Ontario lol.

I like the kia's and hyundai ICE but they seem.to.always have some sort of recall relating to fires so kind of put off.

8 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Ditto. My first was a B-reg Nissan Micra in 95. Metallic blue bread bin on wheels. 

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

Ditto. My first was a B-reg Nissan Micra in 95. Metallic blue bread bin on wheels. 

I got mine in 1990, little red E-reg. Weirdly, I actually still remember the full reg.

Literally, overnight, aged 17 years and 10 days, I'd found a new level of freedom.

On 21/05/2023 at 22:11, UniFox21 said:

I had that there other year around September time when it absolutely threw it down :facepalm:

The plastic around the doors etc would then buffet and vibrate whenever I'd get to about 70 lol

If I remember it was the regulator that had gone and the entire mechanism needed replacing, with none of my usual garages wanting to go near it with it being electrical 

Heard back from the garage last night after dropping it off in the afternoon and this is the same thing

Regulator has gone and need to replace the whole thing

At least it isn’t the glass as well as it sounded like it hit something hard when it dropped down

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Heard back from the garage last night after dropping it off in the afternoon and this is the same thing

Regulator has gone and need to replace the whole thing

At least it isn’t the glass as well as it sounded like it hit something hard when it dropped down

I had the same panic, was worried the glass would've smashed inside the door. 

Hopefully you'll have it fixed in no time

My current thoughts on cars

1. The new Aston DB12 is launched today. Interested to see this.

2. Not sure on electric cars yet. Not sure they will be the future. My battery went on my Range Rover, which if outside of warranty would have cost over £10k. I just can’t see us having the infrastructure in 20 years never mind 10. I think it won’t happen like governments think it will. Everyone I know who gets a fully electric have to plan and think on journeys, their minds constantly ticking on how they will complete long journeys. Do we have the resource for the batteries and will we ever? I can’t see this happening, not in my lifetime anyway 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

2. Not sure on electric cars yet. Not sure they will be the future. My battery went on my Range Rover, which if outside of warranty would have cost over £10k. I just can’t see us having the infrastructure in 20 years never mind 10. I think it won’t happen like governments think it will. Everyone I know who gets a fully electric have to plan and think on journeys, their minds constantly ticking on how they will complete long journeys. Do we have the resource for the batteries and will we ever? I can’t see this happening, not in my lifetime anyway 

Stick to hybrids ..  :thumbup:

And Astons are like old Ford’s inside .. 

24 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

I think if you do lots of long journeys then electric is indeed not for you. 

Most people I know rarely do long trips. I’m a massive convert to EV’s. Really enjoy the (almost) guilt free driving experience.

I do agree with infrastructure. It’ll happen if the will is there. But there’s no guarantee that it is.  

500 mile range batteries will be fairly commonplace, I reckon. Which should satisfy most requirements. 

Just now, Milo said:

I think if you do lots of long journeys then electric is indeed not for you. 

Most people I know rarely do long trips. I’m a massive convert to EV’s. Really enjoy the (almost) guilt free driving experience.

I do agree with infrastructure. It’ll happen if the will is there. But there’s no guarantee that it is.  

500 mile range batteries will be fairly commonplace, I reckon. Which should satisfy most requirements. 

I just see the tension in owners minds at the moment when they talk about them. My colleague was going on holiday and was talking about stopping off en route to the airport for half an hour so that he had enough power to get back home after his holiday.

Last night I had a meeting with a company and they had to stop at a premier inn out of town as he needed a charging point. You could see the cogs going around his head working his journeys out. 

It’s not for me yet. I have one that does like 25 miles on electric and the new model will do 60. So I play around with it without any thoughts on stopping off. It’s a car journey in the end, not really wanting to think of plan it all out.