Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

17 minutes ago, Parafox said:

@tom27111

I know worked for Peugeot so I hope you can answer my query.

I have had the car for three weeks and the stop-start has stopped working. I've looked on-line and it seems short journeys deplete the stop start battery to the point where it stops working. Is this true?

Bit rubbish if you ask me. 

Other than this, the car is decent.

My Mrs' stop start on her Renault Captur is as shit as Vestergaard  in defence.

18 minutes ago, Parafox said:

@tom27111

I know worked for Peugeot so I hope you can answer my query.

I have had the car for three weeks and the stop-start has stopped working. I've looked on-line and it seems short journeys deplete the stop start battery to the point where it stops working. Is this true?

Bit rubbish if you ask me. 

Other than this, the car is decent.

The stop start was always one of the first things I'd try to turn off in a new car, so I'd see this as a bonus lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I don't have one, but nearly all manufacturers use PodPoint.

They're the biggest supplier in the UK.

Around £800.

I believe you may still be eligible for a government grant towards the cost only if you rent your home.

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

Zappi is who I hear the most on Tesla forums. Based on cost/features. 

Thanks.  Octopus are offering a decent deal on Ohome versions. Only just beginning to research so, will look those up too. 

Some of the garages offer free ones, if you take their over priced finance. 

I'm mystified why the grants only apply to people who are renting though?

6 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Could anyone with a home EV charger recommend theirs and advise on the type and cost to install?

I've got a podpoint. Ended up getting a few quid off it as a "manufacturer's discount" when they knew what car I was having.

I can't imagine there's that much to choose between them although podpoint do generally score highly in reviews and that.

The time between ordering and install was pretty short - less than 2 weeks, and the guy that came to do it made a good job of it.

They need to be able to connect to the internet so whatever you have, I'd bear in mind how close it is to your router as well as your fusebox if you get any choice in that

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

They need to be able to connect to the internet so whatever you have, I'd bear in mind how close it is to your router as well as your fusebox if you get any choice in that

Thanks. I need to go and test the signal but there's only one real option on location as, I'm one of those weird types that put the car in the garage. 

15 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Could anyone with a home EV charger recommend theirs and advise on the type and cost to install?

I recently got an Ohme charger. 

I’m with Octopus and their EV tariff seems to be the best around. So I bought the Ohme through them. 

It cost £800 for the charger, extra cable length and installation. 

I initially had a bit of an issue syncing it with the car, and it wouldn’t go on the Octopus tariff, but a 15 minute call to Ohme sorted it out. 

All in all, I’m delighted. Costs way less that I thought to top the car up. Would definitely recommend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Thanks. I need to go and test the signal but there's only one real option on location as, I'm one of those weird types that put the car in the garage. 

I demand that you fill it to the ceiling with stuff that you don't need and will realistically never use to the extent that you cannot get in there yourself let alone drive a vehicle in there immediately

• Haha 1

Big up to Westaway Northampton for another seamless annual service on the Jeep (and its annual wash) - even if they gave me a Suzuki roller skate as a loaner.

Two years old now and I'm averaging 78mpg which I'm pretty happy with. An absolute joy to romp home in on 4x4 suspension after suffering the Suzuki over our local back road potholes.

They had some good prices on Suzukis, but that screen interface is nothing short of abysmally laggy. Why on earth do manufacturers pump out stuff that poor in this day and age?

8 hours ago, Daggers said:

Big up to Westaway Northampton for another seamless annual service on the Jeep (and its annual wash) - even if they gave me a Suzuki roller skate as a loaner.

Two years old now and I'm averaging 78mpg which I'm pretty happy with. An absolute joy to romp home in on 4x4 suspension after suffering the Suzuki over our local back road potholes.

They had some good prices on Suzukis, but that screen interface is nothing short of abysmally laggy. Why on earth do manufacturers pump out stuff that poor in this day and age?

I was given a Suzuki Gran Vitara once as a courtesy car, after a problem with a used car I bought from a Suzuki main dealer.

The salesman excitedly said "So what did you think to the GV?"

After tearing it to absolute bits for a shit gear box, brakes, suspension and everything else he just went "oh" lol

• Haha 1

Finally got my Tesla back from the repairer (Shorade in Cannock) today. They've done a great job and looks brand new. 

The phone call was out of the blue this morning as they said they were waiting for a part from Tesla, due to arrive at the end of August. But apparently it just turned up on Monday and they've sorted it already. 

Nice to have my own car back, even if it does mean paying for my own charging again! 

• Like 3

Very confused how garages calculate px prices. One on Monday offered a px price £2600 above the price a garage offered today. I'd obtained the usual quotes from Auto trader etc so, was very surprised and disappointed the second px price was so low. The first had matched the quotes received. Neither are a car supermarket where you'd expect a bad deal. 

Both of the cars we've shown interest in are exactly the same make, model and year. It's not like they're miles apart in terms of the vehicle they're selling. Very frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Very confused how garages calculate px prices. One on Monday offered a px price £2600 above the price a garage offered today. I'd obtained the usual quotes from Auto trader etc so, was very surprised and disappointed the second px price was so low. The first had matched the quotes received. Neither are a car supermarket where you'd expect a bad deal. 

Both of the cars we've shown interest in are exactly the same make, model and year. It's not like they're miles apart in terms of the vehicle they're selling. Very frustrating. 

Call them out on it.

Then make it perfectly clear that even if they matched or beat the deal at the other garage, you won't do business with them because they've tried to fvck you over. 

Also, leave a Google and Trustpilot review stating exactly what happened. These are a huge deal now with car garages, many of them are targeted on it.

A few hundred difference is acceptable and can be negotiated, but that much is ridiculous. 

Another example of why car salesman have a bad rep. All get tarred with the same brush because of charlatans like this trying to make a fast buck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Call them out on it.

Then make it perfectly clear that even if they matched or beat the deal at the other garage, you won't do business with them because they've tried to fvck you over. 

Also, leave a Google and Trustpilot review stating exactly what happened. These are a huge deal now with car garages, many of them are targeted on it.

A few hundred difference is acceptable and can be negotiated, but that much is ridiculous. 

Another example of why car salesman have a bad rep. All get tarred with the same brush because of charlatans like this trying to make a fast buck.

I'm awaiting their response to my email. If they match the deal we'd probably take it. As, annoyingly, their car is nicer. Exact specifications we're looking for in terms of the trim/badge colour, which is about the only difference. That's a personal preference, it's not a tangible benefit. 

Fortunately, we're not really in any rush and if they don't, we'll definitely leave it and just keep looking. 

We enquired on the basis the figures would be similar to the others quoted. Shocked to say the least. 

Are the hand carwashes places likely to damage decent paintwork? 

I've used a regular one with my old car but now I have a decent nearly new car with pretty much perfect paint. I've been told that hand washes use chemicals that can penetrate any protective coating on the paintwork as well as dull any black plastic trim which is pretty much impossible to reverse, so it seems best to avoid them even though I've seen top of the range cars going through such a wash.

I've also read that using one's own pressure washer could cause damage by blasting micro grit into the paint surface. Even using a good sponge and a microfibre cloth to dry off can be damaging. Also I have read that a chamois leather to remove water before drying can cause minor scratches.

What's the answer without using a pro valeter?

Maybe @Izzy has the answer?

Edited by Parafox

If the car wash doesn't dilute the chemicals properly, it can damage the paintwork and the trim.

If you've got any of that chrome looking trim on your car, it'll stain it badly and you won't be able to get it out.

Modern car paints are so delicate nowadays, mainly due to environmental laws.

@Izzy should be able to help you out.

• Thanks 1

When I looked into it, as a quicker way of doing it, the waterless wash was recommended by a lot of people on forums.

You basically spray the product on a panel, let it soak for a few seconds then wipe off with a microfiber. Seems like it could take a lot of microfiber cloths though to do a large car. I saw between 5-10. I guess they're fairly cheap though. 

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

The answer (for me anyway) is to do it myself :)

I bought my car at the start of Covid and got into detailing as a bit of a lockdown hobby. Having learnt what I have over the last 3 years, I'll never take my motor (or the wife's) to a carwash ever again.

It's not just the chemicals they use, but also the fact they're working at such speed that they can cut corners and damage the paintwork accidentally (I've seen them drop drying towels on the floor, pick them up full of grit, and continue drying - covering the paintwork in micro scratches. Chamois leathers and sponges are also both a no-no according to the expert wisdom.

I use my own pressure washer and follow a particular 2 bucket wash method and process and it takes me about 2 hours to do a proper maintenance wash. I know it's a long time and I know the local carwash guys could do it in 10 minutes, but I actually enjoy putting my headphones on and switching off from the world for a bit. I find it cathartic and I know that I've done everything correctly to preserve the paintwork.

My cars paintwork looks better now than it did when I bought it from the dealer as I've done a proper decontamination and 2 stage paint correction with a rotary polisher. (I might apply a ceramic coating before the Autumn for long term protection)

The bottom line IMO is that 90% of people aren't really that arsed about having scratches, marks, and swirls on their car's paintwork - it's just an object to get them from A to B. But if you do care and you do want to keep your paintwork near perfect,  here's a video from one of the YouTube experts I follow that explains the process.

If you've got the time and are prepared to invest a few quid in buying all the right kit, you'll keep it looking mint. Any more questions, just ask!

Give you a  fiver to do mine and the Mrs'.

Let me know when your free.

P.S you have to pick the cars up from Thurnby and wash them at your house, saving my water and then drop them off afterwards.

I'll await a time!😁👍

• Haha 1