Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

Just now, Raj said:

Give you a  fiver to do mine and the Mrs'.

Let me know when your free.

P.S you have to pick the cars up from Thurnby and wash them at your house, saving my water and then drop them off afterwards.

I'll await a time!😁👍

Is that £2.50 for each ?

Mighg be interested in the Mrs but don’t want to clean the car 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Bear said:

When I looked into it, as a quicker way of doing it, the waterless wash was recommended by a lot of people on forums.

You basically spray the product on a panel, let it soak for a few seconds then wipe off with a microfiber. Seems like it could take a lot of microfiber cloths though to do a large car. I saw between 5-10. I guess they're fairly cheap though. 

Yeah, I do this occasionally when the car is not too dirty. Use a product called Optimum No Rinse which you dilute about 50/1 so cheap as chips.

Rather than use loads of microfiber cloths you can dilute the ONR with water in a bucket and use one of their magic sponges which cost about £30 (very clever design) and a drying towel

The general consensus seems to be that a waterless wash is O.K. when the dirt on the car has come from the sky (dust/rain) but if the dirt has come from the road, you're better off doing a proper wash

It's definitely quicker but the results aren't quite as good IMO

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Izzy said:

The answer (for me anyway) is to do it myself :)

I bought my car at the start of Covid and got into detailing as a bit of a lockdown hobby. Having learnt what I have over the last 3 years, I'll never take my motor (or the wife's) to a carwash ever again.

It's not just the chemicals they use, but also the fact they're working at such speed that they can cut corners and damage the paintwork accidentally (I've seen them drop drying towels on the floor, pick them up full of grit, and continue drying - covering the paintwork in micro scratches. Chamois leathers and sponges are also both a no-no according to the expert wisdom.

I use my own pressure washer and follow a particular 2 bucket wash method and process and it takes me about 2 hours to do a proper maintenance wash. I know it's a long time and I know the local carwash guys could do it in 10 minutes, but I actually enjoy putting my headphones on and switching off from the world for a bit. I find it cathartic and I know that I've done everything correctly to preserve the paintwork.

My cars paintwork looks better now than it did when I bought it from the dealer as I've done a proper decontamination and 2 stage paint correction with a rotary polisher. (I might apply a ceramic coating before the Autumn for long term protection)

The bottom line IMO is that 90% of people aren't really that arsed about having scratches, marks, and swirls on their car's paintwork - it's just an object to get them from A to B. But if you do care and you do want to keep your paintwork near perfect,  here's a video from one of the YouTube experts I follow that explains the process.

If you've got the time and are prepared to invest a few quid in buying all the right kit, you'll keep it looking mint. Any more questions, just ask!

I’ve found that a good pre-wash of traffic film remover really does make a shed load of difference, as well as a good snow foam lance with a decent product. The game changed a bit for me when I learnt that you want to be getting pretty much 90% of surface dirt off the car before you even think about touching it with a contact wash. I’ve got no end of products in the shed that I’ll use periodically but you can easily get by with a pressure washer, a good TFR, some good snow foam and a good shampoo and those things don’t need to cost you the earth. You could throw some bleeding wheels spray in to that as well but I’ve got by without it as well. Also wouldn’t be without a quick wax spray either. 

Would be interested to hear how your machine correction went doing it yourself. I’d like to ideally have a go at that before winter. 

• Like 1

I love a bit of amateur detailing, however it is a right fvcking ballache when you can't be arsed but your car is a disgrace, like it is at the moment. 

Trouble is, mine is a soft top and I don't trust drive throughs after some proper melon decided to go full power wash on the canvas and damaged the fibers leaving small lines all over one side.

Edited by RoboFox

5 hours ago, Manini said:

I’ve found that a good pre-wash of traffic film remover really does make a shed load of difference, as well as a good snow foam lance with a decent product. The game changed a bit for me when I learnt that you want to be getting pretty much 90% of surface dirt off the car before you even think about touching it with a contact wash. I’ve got no end of products in the shed that I’ll use periodically but you can easily get by with a pressure washer, a good TFR, some good snow foam and a good shampoo and those things don’t need to cost you the earth. You could throw some bleeding wheels spray in to that as well but I’ve got by without it as well. Also wouldn’t be without a quick wax spray either. 

Would be interested to hear how your machine correction went doing it yourself. I’d like to ideally have a go at that before winter. 

I really enjoyed the process of machine polishing my car and have also done the wife's car, my Dad's, and the neighbors too :).

Start with the proper wash process as you've described above, then chemical decontamination (fall out/tar remover), then clay bar. Once all that was done, a final IPA panel wipe and the surface is ready for polishing.

I bought 2 polishers similar to these. The first runs off the mains and takes 5.5 or 3.5 inch pads for the main panels

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/collections/polishing-machines-kits/products/in2detailing-da8-900w-dual-action-machine-polisher

Then a smaller mini cordless polisher with 1 or 2 inch pads - like this one for the more intricate parts

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/collections/polishing-machines-kits/products/in2detailing-nano-polisher

Then there's the pads/polish combinations depending on how badly the paint is scratched/swirled. You can do a one stage correction using something like this:

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/collections/scholl-concepts-1/products/scholl-concepts-s20-black-1-step-compund

Or buy a separate heavier cutting compound and a finishing polish.

Then finally, wax/sealant protection or the quick detailing spray you use.

I learnt everything from YouTube so no expert but I've been delighted with the results. 

Edited by Izzy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Sounds like a right hassle.

Most things done properly and meticulously are I guess.

There's thousands of 'weekend warriors' out there who enjoy detailing their car just like there's thousands of people who enjoy decorating, building model airplanes, cooking, home brewing etc.

It's just a hobby for the satisfaction of seeing the end results. 

• Like 4

@Izzy

Pics of your car when done please.

I do the 2 bucket wash thing and use a shampoo from Dooka.

I've got some ally wheel cleaner stuff and always pressure wash the cars first 

BUT that's all and the cars are clean.

(I'm sure you wouldnt agree!!!).

I do them in an exercise workout way and normally bang them.out in an hour.

I have a lad at work who cleans his black Audi A6 EVERY sunday and apparently  takes about 2- 3 hours!.

It beats spending that timexwatching pointless videos on tiktok or whatever.

Fair do👍

• Like 1

Any thoughts on the best way to switch insurance between cars when buying a new one? Usually, I just swap over with our current insurer but, according to their website, the premium will be £2k a year more. Can I take a new policy elsewhere for the date we pick up the new car, trade in, and cancel the current policy that day?

45 minutes ago, Raj said:

@Izzy

Where do you get your products from?

Usually here mate. Decent prices and quick delivery. 

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/

Occasionally Amazon if I'm desperate and need next day delivery.

I tend to stick to the brands I know and like, so the main ones for me are Bilt Hamber and Gtechniq (Garage Therapy pretty decent too)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Usually here mate. Decent prices and quick delivery. 

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/

Occasionally Amazon if I'm desperate and need next day delivery.

I tend to stick to the brands I know and like, so the main ones for me are Bilt Hamber and Gtechniq (Garage Therapy pretty decent too)

You might end up costing me a small fortune this weekend you bugger😁👍.

I might DM you before I succumb  if you dont mind. X

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raj said:

You might end up costing me a small fortune this weekend you bugger😁👍.

I might DM you before I succumb  if you dont mind. X

Anytime mate :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Any thoughts on the best way to switch insurance between cars when buying a new one? Usually, I just swap over with our current insurer but, according to their website, the premium will be £2k a year more. Can I take a new policy elsewhere for the date we pick up the new car, trade in, and cancel the current policy that day?

Yes. Just look at any comparison site and it's easy. 

Go to your current insurers website, enter you details and request cancellation from the date of collection of the new car, it's usually done at midnight of the date of cancellation and your new insurance should start at midnight on the date you collect the new car. So effectively the same day.

Trade-in is simultaneous when picking up the new car.

I know this 'cos I did it 4 weeks ago.

Edited by Parafox
  • Thanks 1