Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

46 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The wife's car did 829 miles since its last MOT lol 

Alfa in for clutch and flywheel, and some other bits. :thumbdown:

Haha that sounds like me, my car was only really used for my short commute, anything else we'd use my husbands. I think my car clocked around 5k miles in 6 years lol 

On 03/09/2023 at 16:14, UniFox21 said:

My starter motor/ignition chamber packed in after the game yesterday. Proper pain in the ass to try and get it to a garage now 

Don't suppose anyone has used the Halfords auto centre garages before?

Struggling to find too many places that will  look at the car 

16 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Don't suppose anyone has used the Halfords auto centre garages before?

Struggling to find too many places that will  look at the car 

Yep I used to use them every year for service + MOT. Usually because they had decent deals when combing both. Got to know them in there and was always happy with their work. 

Although they always tried it on with brake pads/discs every MOT. 

I'm guessing every branch will be different though depending on the staff. Check online reviews and ask friends/family if they've ever used it. Facebook would be a good place to ask. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

Good lord have I had a shock today with the car market. It started out receiving very surprising news that in the 2.5 years since I bought my Kuga for £15k that it's still worth £14,500 and I only owe about £11k on settlement to the finance company.

However, then the consequence of that set in that not only are 2nd hand cars far more expensive than 2+ years ago but interest rates make the borrowing hideous. The equivalent car (ST Line 2.0 Kuga) that's 18 months to 2 years old with more mileage on the clock than when I bought mine is now around £25k and the monthly payments nearly double what I pay.

Stop the world, I want to get off.

I'll get a Bedford Rascal, fcuk it

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Good lord have I had a shock today with the car market. It started out receiving very surprising news that in the 2.5 years since I bought my Kuga for £15k that it's still worth £14,500 and I only owe about £11k on settlement to the finance company.

However, then the consequence of that set in that not only are 2nd hand cars far more expensive than 2+ years ago but interest rates make the borrowing hideous. The equivalent car (ST Line 2.0 Kuga) that's 18 months to 2 years old with more mileage on the clock than when I bought mine is now around £25k and the monthly payments nearly double what I pay.

Stop the world, I want to get off.

I'll get a Bedford Rascal, fcuk it

I've said it time and time again on here...a brand new car will be cheaper for you than a used one.

Put that equity down as a deposit and take the finance incentive that the manufacturer is offering, usually a further deposit contribution or a reduced APR. (The APR on a brand new car will undoubtedly be less than that on a used car, but still higher than 18 months ago)

However, to take full advantage, you'll need a car that is already in stock and ready to be registered, not a factory order. So you might need to make some compromises on things like colour and extras.

Honestly, explore that avenue, you'll be surprised. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I've said it time and time again on here...a brand new car will be cheaper for you than a used one.

Put that equity down as a deposit and take the finance incentive that the manufacturer is offering, usually a further deposit contribution or a reduced APR. (The APR on a brand new car will undoubtedly be less than that on a used car, but still higher than 18 months ago)

However, to take full advantage, you'll need a car that is already in stock and ready to be registered, not a factory order. So you might need to make some compromises on things like colour and extras.

Thanks pal, I'll look in to this. Not in any major rush either so could see what I can find. Would ordinarily be happy with mine but need something that tows better, ideally 4x4. So got until next spring really as the caravan is probably away now for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Thanks pal, I'll look in to this. Not in any major rush either so could see what I can find. Would ordinarily be happy with mine but need something that tows better, ideally 4x4. So got until next spring really as the caravan is probably away now for the rest of the year.

It would probably be the best way to make the most of your equity.

Like you say, used car prices are through the roof. New cars have gone up, but nowhere near the amount that used ones have.

It's easing slightly, but manufacturers still struggling to get new cars off the production line.

It's why I left the trade. Used too expensive, factory orders taking too long. I only get paid when the customer drives it off the forecourt. It could be 18 months after they signed the paperwork!

But there are cars floating about in stock.

New ones work out cheaper on PCP for various reasons. Even over pre-reg and ex-demo cars (these are basically classed as used as they've had a registered keeper)

Dealers make deposit contributions on new cars and the APR is lower.

The residual value will be higher as there are no previous owners or mileage on the car. Basically, the higher your balloon payment on a PCP, the better. Whilst technically you are borrowing it, you aren't paying for it monthly. Chances are, you never want to buy the car at the end of the term, so they're saying a new car will be worth more than one with a previous owner.

I've actually sat and quoted people on an ex-demo and a brand new car, the new one was over £100 cheaper A MONTH lol

Covid, Superchip shortages, other global events have all contributed to this.

Don't just look at a screen price and think that the cheaper one will be less per month.

It's actually fvcking nuts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

It would probably be the best way to make the most of your equity.

Like you say, used car prices are through the roof. New cars have gone up, but nowhere near the amount that used ones have.

It's easing slightly, but manufacturers still struggling to get new cars off the production line.

It's why I left the trade. Used too expensive, factory orders taking too long. I only get paid when the customer drives it off the forecourt. It could be 18 months after they signed the paperwork!

But there are cars floating about in stock.

New ones work out cheaper on PCP for various reasons. Even over pre-reg and ex-demo cars (these are basically classed as used as they've had a registered keeper)

Dealers make deposit contributions on new cars and the APR is lower.

The residual value will be higher as there are no previous owners or mileage on the car. Basically, the higher your balloon payment on a PCP, the better. Whilst technically you are borrowing it, you aren't paying for it monthly. Chances are, you never want to buy the car at the end of the term, so they're saying a new car will be worth more than one with a previous owner.

I've actually sat and quoted people on an ex-demo and a brand new car, the new one was over £100 cheaper A MONTH lol

Covid, Superchip shortages, other global events have all contributed to this.

Don't just look at a screen price and think that the cheaper one will be less per month.

It's actually fvcking nuts.

Madness pal, 2nd hand car salesman have cleared up haven't they. Got a few mates who have been laughing the last few years. Sick

On 06/09/2023 at 22:02, tom27111 said:

Does this apply with electric cars? Genuinely considering making the switch 

5 hours ago, polarbear said:

Does this apply with electric cars? Genuinely considering making the switch 

It definitely depends how old a car you want.  My current car cost £4,500 7 years ago and is still going strong; my previous one cost the same and ran for 12 years.  Obviously inflation has affected the figures, but there is no way a new car or pair of new cars could have been as cheap.

Vauxhall Astra followed by Vauxhall Corsa.  Both 4-door, both about 4-5 years old at purchase.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PAULCFC said:

Bought myself a Caddy and thinking of going self employed......but only got one key and i'll probably lose that within a week! Does anyone know of places that will replicate the key under £350?

Timpson will do you a key only, so no remote, for £99.

That's all you need if it's a spare or if you're prone to losing keys.

As long as you can lock/unlock it and start it, there's no need to pay about £350 for a push button key.

Go on their website and pop your reg in.

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Timpson will do you a key only, so no remote, for £99.

That's all you need if it's a spare or if you're prone to losing keys.

As long as you can lock/unlock it and start it, there's no need to pay about £350 for a push button key.

Go on their website and pop your reg in.

Cheers mate.Don't need the remote stuff,just unlock and drive really!

• Like 1

What do we think of Mazda CX-30/CX-5 compared to BMW X1? 

Gf is looking for a new car and is leaning towards an SUV type car. 

Or a 1 series at the complete other end of the spectrum. 

Also shout out to salesman at trade centre who couldn't seem to understand why I didn't want anything to do with a diesel and had to be asked continuously to open a car for her to sit in.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any thoughts about the banning of ICE engines being pushed back?

Forget your political views.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if its pushed back again.

We've already had Ferrari saying they'll defy the ban.

This country needs to vastly improve its infrastructure, that's my main concern.

I've definitely changed my mind on EV's, but I still think the government target is optimistic. 

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Anyone got any thoughts about the banning of ICE engines being pushed back?

Forget your political views.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if its pushed back again.

We've already had Ferrari saying they'll defy the ban.

This country needs to vastly improve its infrastructure, that's my main concern.

I've definitely changed my mind on EV's, but I still think the government target is optimistic. 

To be honest I think if they stopped manufacturing them today we'd cope alright.

The infrastructure is improving all the time and I think this is overdone a bit anyway as a lot of the infrastructure is in place already in that a significant proportion of the populace has the infrastructure in place already - i.e. their own homes. The range of them is such now that it's only people doing really high mileages on a regular basis that are going to find an EV a ball-ache. It looks like I'm going to do about 12,000 miles this year - more than usual actually, and the adjustment/inconvenience to me of having an EV is pretty much zero.

It's very difficult to ignore the political aspect of this though as like seemingly everything these days it's being turned into a baffling culture war. Nearly every day I get a Google alert about a right wing newspaper story with a headline like "I bought an EV and it's the worst thing I've ever done"  or "Desperate dealerships' forecourts clogged with unsold EVs".

We've seen on here that a lot of folk just don't understand things like ULEZs, and you only have to portray something as being forced on them and suddenly it's like we're all sixteen years old and EVs are Russell Brand.

EVs are still discouragingly expensive for most people, but so are most brand new cars so again this seems to be a bit overplayed. It's not like all the relatively clean ICE vehicles made to date and continuing to be made up until 2030 are suddenly going to be pushed into the sea is it?

Personally I think the thing that will change everything is if what Toyota claim is true and that they're very close to perfecting solid state batteries AND that technology isn't eye wateringly expensive then everyone will abandon ICE anyway, as it will mean that EVs will have greater ranges and charge in a fraction of the time they do now.

As for Ferrari, the first thing I think of when I see a supercar now is Andrew Taint

• Like 2