Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

14 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Hydrogen should be what all manufacturers look to develop. 

The only emission from the vehicle would be water. 

Sea levels are already rising due to the melting ice caps FFS!!! This is only going to make things worse!!!!!!11111

/joking

15 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Hydrogen should be what all manufacturers look to develop. 

I believe it would take around 10 minutes to fuel for a few hundred miles.

The only emission from the vehicle would be water. 

At the moment, I think there's only one  hydrogen fuelling station in the country, but there's also only one, very rare, hydrogen vehicle available. 

To make a true vehicle that's environmentally friendly, it certainly wouldn't be electric.

The minerals needed for batteries are rare and come at an environmental cost, as does then producing these batteries.

Plus, you still have to charge the vehicle. How do you think electricity is produced?

Where do you think the energy to manufacture hydrogen is produced? :ph34r:

I was looking at an EV and I thought I would check what insurance will be....OH MY WORD!!!  I have a suv diesel and pay around £350, they wanted £1115!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats put me off. I won't pay that, no wonder the uptake has slowed. 

I think I'll look at Hybrid 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

I was looking at an EV and I thought I would check what insurance will be....OH MY WORD!!!  I have a suv diesel and pay around £350, they wanted £1115!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats put me off. I won't pay that, no wonder the uptake has slowed. 

I’ve been completely had on my insurance this month. It’s gone up by £600 to £1300 😂😂😂

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

I think I'll look at Hybrid 

Yes, it came as shock when looking at insurance after agreeing to get an EV. Mine went from £450/500 to £950. Although, car insurance has gone up about 40%  recently according to Martin Lewis, MSE.

But I'm happy with the £200 a year saving on tax, £400 on a service (EV's only need a service every 2 years) and an awful lot on running the car.

1 minute ago, FoyleFox said:

Yes, it came as shock when looking at insurance after agreeing to get an EV. Mine went from £450/500 to £950. Although, car insurance has gone up about 40%  recently according to Martin Lewis, MSE.

But I'm happy with the £200 a year saving on tax, £400 on a service (EV's only need a service every 2 years) and an awful lot on running the car.

I agree with that, and I’m happy with my car, but you pay a significant amount extra for the car so I do think overall they probably end up being slightly more expensive.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I agree with that, and I’m happy with my car, but you pay a significant amount extra for the car so I do think overall they probably end up being slightly more expensive.

I've just had a look on Autotrader at the nearest petrol alternative for mine, the option if I'd stayed with a petrol car. So, same manufacturer, type of vehicle, year and spec, and they're roughly the same price to buy. I also did a quick insurance quote, circa £700. The petrol is group 40E, where the EV is 50E

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I've just had a look on Autotrader at the nearest petrol alternative for mine, the option if I'd stayed with a petrol car. So, same manufacturer, type of vehicle, year and spec, and they're roughly the same price to buy. I also did a quick insurance quote, circa £700. The petrol is group 40E, where the EV is 50E

Well, that has shocked me at little! For the 3yrs it's hovered around £350 mark. One year cheaper and another a little more, but wow!!!

Im certainly no boy racer either no points, no accidents in 17 years a clean bit of health. I have no idea how the younger generation affords insurance these days, if that is the case.

I'll look at other evs to see if they are cheaper. Maybe an older one would be better. 

But I will look at Hybrids as well, e.g. Kia niro hybrid, which has had some good reviews 

Edited by fox_favourite

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

I meant generally across the board when you add up insurance and cost of the car etc

12 hours ago, The Bear said:

All insurance has gone up ridiculously, not just on EVs. 

12 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Well, that has shocked me at little! For the 3yrs it's hovered around £350 mark. One year cheaper and another a little more, but wow!!!

Im certainly no boy racer either no points, no accidents in 17 years a clean bit of health. I have no idea how the younger generation affords insurance these days, if that is the case.

I'll look at other evs to see if they are cheaper. Maybe an older one would be better. 

But I will look at Hybrids as well, e.g. Kia niro hybrid, which has had some good reviews 

It is due to rising costs of the materials for repairs although the cynic in me believe the insurance providers probably add couple of hundreds on the top!

• Like 1

The whole car insurance issue needs an investigation by the ombudsman who shouldn't accept a blanket 'well its cost of materials' innit.
Last year when someone reversed into our parked car it caused a slight scuff & probably something that if it was over 5yrs old & wasn't on lease we might have left but went through the fault drivers insurance as not to sting ourselves when it was handed back.
Well who ever the underlying insurance company was, used a repairer that basically made you take out a hire car with them & it was their sole intention to run up costs this way, they were going to get me a car within hours of me calling but hadn't even taken any details of the damage.
When i said its ok the car is drivable so can use until it goes in for repair & whilst it's in for repair 'which was a days work as we went to a local body shop to get a quote ourselves' that we wouldn't need a car 'expecting 1 day' because we had a 2nd family car that would be used, they continued with this approach for about 2 weeks, to then say well look unless you take the hire car we can't repair yours.
This ticked me right off because i just saw it as a money making scheme, i know i would have had that hire car for atleast 30days with the way they were talking about when they would book it in & how long they would (drag it out for) to repair, my principles took over & i said leave it & got my insurer involved.
I know it now goes down as a non fault claim against me but i was livid that their insurer would needlessly milk £85+ per day for 'x' number of days on top of the repair itself, my misses was very much just do it by then but if we all kicked back at these 'scams' which is what they are then insurance wouldn't be so high, it's not so much to do with materials for the repair itself its to milk all the bolt-on's they can.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, BKLFox said:

The whole car insurance issue needs an investigation by the ombudsman who shouldn't accept a blanket 'well its cost of materials' innit.
Last year when someone reversed into our parked car it caused a slight scuff & probably something that if it was over 5yrs old & wasn't on lease we might have left but went through the fault drivers insurance as not to sting ourselves when it was handed back.
Well who ever the underlying insurance company was, used a repairer that basically made you take out a hire car with them & it was their sole intention to run up costs this way, they were going to get me a car within hours of me calling but hadn't even taken any details of the damage.
When i said its ok the car is drivable so can use until it goes in for repair & whilst it's in for repair 'which was a days work as we went to a local body shop to get a quote ourselves' that we wouldn't need a car 'expecting 1 day' because we had a 2nd family car that would be used, they continued with this approach for about 2 weeks, to then say well look unless you take the hire car we can't repair yours.
This ticked me right off because i just saw it as a money making scheme, i know i would have had that hire car for atleast 30days with the way they were talking about when they would book it in & how long they would (drag it out for) to repair, my principles took over & i said leave it & got my insurer involved.
I know it now goes down as a non fault claim against me but i was livid that their insurer would needlessly milk £85+ per day for 'x' number of days on top of the repair itself, my misses was very much just do it by then but if we all kicked back at these 'scams' which is what they are then insurance wouldn't be so high, it's not so much to do with materials for the repair itself its to milk all the bolt-on's they can.

I can well believe it. The few times I've been to a body shop/repair company the first question they always ask is "Is it an insurance job?", like what difference should that make to the cost of actually making that repair? I'm sure they just know they can get away with charging more when it's through the insurance.

• Like 2

From that article "According to Confused.com, reasons for the rapid surge in prices include the extra burden of cost associated with expensive to repair electric cars, parts shortages holding up repairs...."

Why would it cost more to replace a bumper on an EV they are made of the same material right?  & what electric parts would suffer in the event of a standard bump, surely if parts are faulting on collision the impact probably writes off the car due to an issue with the integrity of the chassis anyway?

Surely most claims are bumps & dinks with superficial damage to an exterior panel, the whole thing stinks of BS.

• Like 3

I have had a Jaguar XF for about four years, it is a 2016 diesel post facelift model, and a thought only just crossed my mind.

If I drove 100 miles in eco mode and the same 100 miles in dynamic mode, what would be the financial difference?

same with if I drove in D gears or S gears?

also, does eco mode effect any other features when trying to preserve energy?

thanks 

4 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

I have had a Jaguar XF for about four years, it is a 2016 diesel post facelift model, and a thought only just crossed my mind.

If I drove 100 miles in eco mode and the same 100 miles in dynamic mode, what would be the financial difference?

same with if I drove in D gears or S gears?

also, does eco mode effect any other features when trying to preserve energy?

thanks 

I used to have an XE, I can't say I ever used the eco mode but the mpg went down significantly in Sport mode! 

4 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Well Storm Babet hasn’t helped in the quest to bring down the cost of car insurance judging by all the pics of cars harnessing their inner 1977 James Bond powers

Right annoys me when people try and drive through floods and end up claiming insurance!

We’ve lost one of our cars to this storm but not from diving stupidly through water. My wife took her car to our local garage on Thursday and the mechanic and owner kept it in as the repair needed made it unsafe to drive. And he wasn’t going to get to it before the weekend. 

Yesterday morning we wake up and see photos rolling in on social media that the next village where the garage is has flooded and although we haven’t been able to get to the car, we have seen photos and video footage. It was even in the background of BBC Breakfast live reporting this morning 😬

Obviously nothing we could have done. The council and environmental agency said this would not happen with the defences in place which have apparently failed. We are hoping our insurance are not going to be awkward with us as we do not want to drag the garage owner into it as he has lost his home and business in the flood!

But you’re right, there will be so many claims from people who it is their own stupid fault!