Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

21 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Nobody wants to buy EV's. There's a complete surplus of new vehicles built and ready to go, but no takers.

At Nissan, we're doing brand new cars half price, on 0% finance and still nobody will take them.

If you do take one on a PCP, the only way to get out of it is to hand it back to the finance company at the end of your term. You'll always be in negative equity.

I've seen people put down a 10k deposit and still be in 8k negative equity after having their EV for 3 years.

There's no incentive to own one, no more government grants, no more charger grants, they'll soon have to pay road tax, the price of electricity is also the same as fuel.

I like EV's and have really come round to the idea of them, but there's no point buying one right now.

Getting tied in to a finance contract on one will financially cripple you.

I have to pick you up on the "cost of fuel is the same"....

It costs me £6 to fully charge my EV and that gets me 300 miles of range.  £12 of charge gets me the equivalent mileage that our diesel did, but that cost us £75 a time to fill up. 

Get the right electricity tariff and home and the difference is vast. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

I have to pick you up on the "cost of fuel is the same"....

It costs me £6 to fully charge my EV and that gets me 300 miles of range.  £12 of charge gets me the equivalent mileage that our diesel did, but that cost us £75 a time to fill up. 

Get the right electricity tariff and home and the difference is vast. 

I'm talking about public chargers

21 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'm talking about public chargers

Which is fair, but I suspect most people, for most journeys, won't use the public charging network.

I suspect most of the EV's which are struggling to sell, are those that don't have sensible range, but there are a fair few options out there now with ranges over 300 miles, which is more than adequate.for.most people, most of the time. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Nobody wants to buy EV's. There's a complete surplus of new vehicles built and ready to go, but no takers.

At Nissan, we're doing brand new cars half price, on 0% finance and still nobody will take them.

If you do take one on a PCP, the only way to get out of it is to hand it back to the finance company at the end of your term. You'll always be in negative equity.

I've seen people put down a 10k deposit and still be in 8k negative equity after having their EV for 3 years.

There's no incentive to own one, no more government grants, no more charger grants, they'll soon have to pay road tax, the price of electricity is also the same as fuel.

I like EV's and have really come round to the idea of them, but there's no point buying one right now.

Getting tied in to a finance contract on one will financially cripple you.

With prices coming down so much now is probably the best time ever to buy an EV. Just look at used model 3 and polestars you can get a fantastic vehicle for around 20-25k.

Unfortunately you're right around perceptions though. So many people reel off the supposed issues and problems that EVs have that are just simply not true. The power of fossil fuel companies, the right wing media, a corrupt government and frankly one of the most gullible populations on earth don't help.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Any new government will need to add incentives to make people switch to EV's, the market has totally died. I've got a three year old top spec Nissan Leaf in stock, we're retailing it at £12250. It's only got 12k on the clock.

The vast majority of customers I speak to, completely scoff at the idea of buying an EV, the most common thing I hear is: "The infrastructure isn't there, I would even consider it".

Manufacturers also need to price them in line with ICE vehicles. 

Away from EV's, the government need to urgently look at the 'luxury car tax' threshold.

Any new car with a list price over £40k is subject to £600 road tax for the first 5 years. It's ridiculous. They haven't reviewed that for around 5 years. A new high, but not highest, spec Qashqai is coming in at over £40k now and people are walking away because they don't fancy paying an extra 2 grand to the government. 

Something needs to be done to get the economy moving and getting people to spend money.

Any chance you can ping me the details, our lease is up next month on our car and have considered a leaf.

18 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Unfortunately you're right around perceptions though. So many people reel off the supposed issues and problems that EVs have that are just simply not true. The power of fossil fuel companies, the right wing media, a corrupt government and frankly one of the most gullible populations on earth don't help.

Id say many of the issues are true, but aren't applicable for you in your circumstances.

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

With prices coming down so much now is probably the best time ever to buy an EV. Just look at used model 3 and polestars you can get a fantastic vehicle for around 20-25k.

It is bonkers. When I started researching EVs two years ago when my work said they were going to get me one the algorithms started bombarding me with negative stories about EVs, many of which are completely mental. When have you ever seen a review of petrol or diesel cars where they drive them until they run out of fuel and have to get the AA out?

This stuff does influence public opinion, without a doubt. My friends have just changed their car (they bought a hybrid, an entirely sensible choice I might add) but couldn't possibly have considered an EV as they have to drive to Sussex about 3 times a year. There's JUST NOT THE INFRASTRUCTURE!

Last year I went to Devon (twice), the Lake District, a pub with accommodation in the Peak District and some spa in the Malverns, a caravan park in Norfolk and only the place we stayed in the Lakes didn't have a charger (but there were some at a supermarket 2 minutes away). I didn't select a single one of those places because they had chargers, and some of those I didn't even know about until I got there.

I went to McDonald's at Meridian last night and they've got 4 fast chargers, none being used, there's another 10 at Fosse Park Sainsbury's, all the chargers at Fosse Park itself. Nearly every motorway services I've been to in the last 12 months has already got some, and are often putting more in. They're everywhere.

These are all expensive so EVs still don't make a lot of sense for those that cannot charge at home, or have a job that involves a lot of driving and staying over, or whoever it was on here that claimed he drives the equivalent of Land's End to Edinburgh in one go on a regular basis.  For everyone else though I think the transition is pretty much a complete non event. 

I'm very lucky to have a benevolent employer that has stumped up the cost of buying the blooming thing. I might lose my job or my circumstances might change but I'm really hoping I don't have to go back to having an ICE car at any point, I'd be gutted TBH

• Like 4

On 27/05/2024 at 11:53, Bellend Sebastian said:

It is bonkers. When I started researching EVs two years ago when my work said they were going to get me one the algorithms started bombarding me with negative stories about EVs, many of which are completely mental. When have you ever seen a review of petrol or diesel cars where they drive them until they run out of fuel and have to get the AA out?

This stuff does influence public opinion, without a doubt. My friends have just changed their car (they bought a hybrid, an entirely sensible choice I might add) but couldn't possibly have considered an EV as they have to drive to Sussex about 3 times a year. There's JUST NOT THE INFRASTRUCTURE!

Last year I went to Devon (twice), the Lake District, a pub with accommodation in the Peak District and some spa in the Malverns, a caravan park in Norfolk and only the place we stayed in the Lakes didn't have a charger (but there were some at a supermarket 2 minutes away). I didn't select a single one of those places because they had chargers, and some of those I didn't even know about until I got there.

I went to McDonald's at Meridian last night and they've got 4 fast chargers, none being used, there's another 10 at Fosse Park Sainsbury's, all the chargers at Fosse Park itself. Nearly every motorway services I've been to in the last 12 months has already got some, and are often putting more in. They're everywhere.

These are all expensive so EVs still don't make a lot of sense for those that cannot charge at home, or have a job that involves a lot of driving and staying over, or whoever it was on here that claimed he drives the equivalent of Land's End to Edinburgh in one go on a regular basis.  For everyone else though I think the transition is pretty much a complete non event. 

I'm very lucky to have a benevolent employer that has stumped up the cost of buying the blooming thing. I might lose my job or my circumstances might change but I'm really hoping I don't have to go back to having an ICE car at any point, I'd be gutted TBH

Even Aldi, Hinckley have 2. Bit bizarre. Who spends 2-3 hours in Aldi? Or even Maccy's? Particularly when you're time-limited to 2 hours max stay before you get fined.

29 minutes ago, kenny said:

😄

Got us thinking though, Leafs really are cheap.

Any thoughts as to why stuff like this is much cheaper than can be bought through Volvo used cars?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404048271282?sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Volvo&model=C40&postcode=LE8 4FS&fromsra

A Leaf isn't as 'luxury' as the Volvo and the range would be less as the battery is smaller.

I can get hold of something like this:

https://www.glynhopkin.com/used-cars/17907265-nissan-leaf-110kw tekna 40kwh 5dr auto/?finances[deposit]=2590&finances[productName]=Personal Contract Purchase&finances[term]=48&finances[productType]=Personal Contract Purchase&finances[annualMileage]=10000&finances[description]=

£12950, 3 years old, decent mileage.

That car would've retailed at around £35k when brand new, so really reiterates the state of the market at the minute when you can buy it at almost a third of its original cost from a main dealer.

If you're buying a used EV for cash you can make huge savings.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Even Aldi, Hinckley have 2. Bit bizarre. Who spends 2-3 hours in Aldi? Or even Maccy's? Particularly when you're time-limited to 2 hours max stay before you get fined.

If they're fast chargers (the ones at McDonald's Meridian are, at 120 kilowatts) and you've got an EV that can make the most of that, you can add a lot of miles in a short space of time.

The new ones at Fosse Park Sainsbury's are 150kw and I used one on a day when I'd been doing a lot of driving.  It was almost too fast - I didn't want to charge fully but in the time it took for me to take the kids into the shop, get a few bits and come out again it had added about four times what I was expecting and I'd spent a load more than planned as I couldn't switch it off remotely.

If they're crappy 7kw ones like you have at home, you'll be there for ages but most public ones now are a lot more potent 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Parafox said:

They are rapid chargers (150KW) at Aldi in Hinckley, so most EV's will take no longer than 30 mins to go from 20% to 80% charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned the other day I just bought a brand new subaru ascent suv which I pickup on Thursday. Super excited about it and happy it's gas.

I am not against electric cars but they are too expensive (up front) and the cost for me to get an electric panel upgrade to accommodate one at home is in the thousands of $.

Right now, most normal folk can't afford them so when prices come down 10k to 20k you might see a larger proportion of people interested in buying. The Nissan ariya is 11.5k more expensive than my subaru and that's a shitty nissan electric lol. Granted the ariya qualifies for $5k government incentive but those bribes wont be around for long.

Being in Canada,  hybrid is the best situation for me. I will likely buy a hybrid honda civic  as my next small vehicle to replace my gas civic but that's years away lol

• Like 1

If you take a car in for a recall and its first service is it reasonable to expect the paperwork they give you to confirm the former is not "outstanding" and for the nagging message on the dashboard that a service is due would be reset?

They gave it a good clean in fairness

6 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

If you take a car in for a recall and its first service is it reasonable to expect the paperwork they give you to confirm the former is not "outstanding" and for the nagging message on the dashboard that a service is due would be reset?

They gave it a good clean in fairness

Presume it's been done at a dealership?

Probably had the apprentice on it who forgot!

Definitely bothbthings should have been done especially  the amount you probably paid for the service at the dealership to keep the warranty valid.

Tell me Uncle Raj is wrong!!

• Haha 1

On 29/05/2024 at 18:41, Raj said:

Presume it's been done at a dealership?

Probably had the apprentice on it who forgot!

Definitely bothbthings should have been done especially  the amount you probably paid for the service at the dealership to keep the warranty valid.

Tell me Uncle Raj is wrong!!

I don't think they have the brightest and best it's fair to say. Found today that they've damaged a piece of interior trim when fixing something else. Amazing scenes

35 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I don't think they have the brightest and best it's fair to say. Found today that they've damaged a piece of interior trim when fixing something else. Amazing scenes

Do you have to get it serviced at a dealership  for the warranty?

If not feck them off and find an independent mechanic with good reviews

1 hour ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

How is the i4 treating you? Getting one in the new year depending on lead time. 

Absolutely loving it. Costs 2p per mile to drive and it's both rapid and a really smooth drive. 

• Thanks 1

EVs are great from a company car pov - it’s a no brainier. Mine costs me £75k x 2% x 45% so about £675 a year on my tax code and plug it in at work for free. 

Probably agree with Tom, I’d be a bit more cautious if I was throwing my own money into it. Charging on the go issues are a myth, no problems at all if you can work an app and your credit card 

• Like 1

Anyone know the best places to get a value for my car?

Looking to get a new one soon and will likely trade mine in against what I get so want to make sure I get good value for it