Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

21 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Anyone know the best places to get a value for my car?

Looking to get a new one soon and will likely trade mine in against what I get so want to make sure I get good value for it

Motorway. Dealers will make offers for your car and you can take whichever one you want.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Motorway. Dealers will make offers for your car and you can take whichever one you want.

I used motorway, when the dealer turned up he then offered £1000 less than his winning bid. It’s good idea of selling your car but it favours the dealers more than the seller. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Looking to get a new one soon and will likely trade mine in against what I get so want to make sure I get good value for it

Depends what you're trading in. If the garage you're buying from will retail your old car, they'll probably pay you a decent price for it. They'll make their money by selling it.

If they won't retail it, as others have said, Motorway are pretty decent.

You'll always get more by selling it privately, but can you be bothered to do that? If you do go down that route, give me a shout and I'll send you an HPI check to show your car is clear of everything. 

What are you buying? 

Edit...to get a good idea what you should get for it, the WBAC website usually quote pretty accurate. You won't get that from them, but it's a good estimating tool.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Instant valuation from Arnold Clark

Sell My Car | Free Online Quote in Seconds | Buy My Car (arnoldclark.com)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Tuna said:

Don't they have a £300 admin fee?

Admittedly, am not sure.

But heard they're quite decent.

Never used them, personally.

Edited by Wymsey

Just tried a few of these valuation sites to compare what mines worth for a laugh. Here's what I got back:

Arnold Clark £6700 lol

WBAC £7920 :unsure:

Motorway £8960 ;)

Autotrader £9650 :)

Prices all over the gaff

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Just tried a few of these valuation sites to compare what mines worth for a laugh. Here's what I got back:

Arnold Clark £6700 lol

WBAC £7920 :unsure:

Motorway £8960 ;)

Autotrader £9650 :)

Prices all over the gaff

They mainly use the same valuing tool, but will use different price ranges in that.

Average, Clean, Trade, Retail...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Depends what you're trading in. If the garage you're buying from will retail your old car, they'll probably pay you a decent price for it. They'll make their money by selling it.

If they won't retail it, as others have said, Motorway are pretty decent.

You'll always get more by selling it privately, but can you be bothered to do that? If you do go down that route, give me a shout and I'll send you an HPI check to show your car is clear of everything. 

What are you buying? 

Edit...to get a good idea what you should get for it, the WBAC website usually quote pretty accurate. You won't get that from them, but it's a good estimating tool.

2017 Fiat Tipo - Went through Motorway earlier today and it gave about £3700 and WBAC comes out around the same

Has some scuffed alloys though so expecting offers less than that, but at least it looks like that can be a starting point

Mostly been looking at Ford Focus - annoyingly found the exact kind of one I wanted last weekend and in the 20 mintues between me calling to see if it was still avaialble and turning up to see they had sold it (whether it was true it was available at the time I rang I don't know)

Edited by moore_94

Out of interest, has anyone ever had a new car quote from Carwow and actually managed to get that deal?

There's a particular Nissan dealer in the West Midlands (plus others around the country) that quote ridiculously low prices, like 18% off the list price of a new car, which means they're losing a significant amount of money.

I posed as a customer and they offered me the same deal. When I called up to confirm, they said they couldn't get anywhere near that and what was the quote reference. They then told me it must be wrong! Plus, they didn't even have the cars.

I've had numerous customers call me up and ask if I can match it. So I ask them to phone the garage to confirm and ask when they can collect the car.

Then I tell the customer to call me back and I'll beat their real quote and tell them what colours I've got them in for immediate delivery lol

I don't know how they get away with it.

7 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

2017 Fiat Tipo - Went through Motorway earlier today and it gave about £3700 and WBAC comes out around the same

Has some scuffed alloys though so expecting offers less than that, but at least it looks like that can be a starting point

Mostly been looking at Ford Focus - annoyingly found the exact kind of one I wanted last weekend and in the 20 mintues between me calling to see if it was still avaialble and turning up to see they had sold it (whether it was true it was available at the time I rang I don't know)

Should be about what you're looking at then if both are saying the same. I'd definitely edge towards Motorway, I believe you can put a reserve on it, so maybe £3800 would be a good idea, you can always accept the highest offer under the reserve. 

Nobody will be that fussed about having to refurb the alloys, it's commonplace and cheap to do.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This sounds a silly question, so apologies..

I need a V5C number to take a off a private numberplate, a 11-digit one apparently.

Where can I find it?

I've got a registration certificate with my private number plate on it.

Edited by Wymsey

3 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

This sounds a silly question, so apologies..

I need a V5C number to take a off a private numberplate, a 11-digit one apparently.

Where can I find it?

I've got a registration certificate with my private number plate on it.

Your V5. Also known as your logbook.

Looks like this...

V5C-Log-book.jpg

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Your V5. Also known as your logbook.

Looks like this...

V5C-Log-book.jpg

Thanks. 

So, is the V5C number the Document Reference Number?

55 minutes ago, kenny said:

Just bought a brand new Nissan Leaf for £17k with a list price of £32k.

Thanks @tom27111 for the tip off!

I mean, you were meant to buy it from me, but you're welcome, I guess lol

What did you get and where from? 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I mean, you were meant to buy it from me, but you're welcome, I guess lol

What did you get and where from? 

Marshalls in Leicester. 

Their pre-registered cars are silly cheap. We only went for a test drive so I could then buy a used one for £12-14k if it worked out.

You had sold yours remember!! :P

• Like 1