Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

19 hours ago, JonnyBoy said:

Yep agree the interior is a bit naff, had a 330e before and that was a lot better, i get distracted a lot with the screen and i am surprised they were able to pass that as road legal as everything from window wipers through to glove box is controlled on it. The turning circle is to be desired as well, once you own one for a bit it is a really nice drive and you get used to it being so minimal. 

Sounds lethal.  I presume the windscreen wipers come on automatically when it rains?  It's surely impossible to have the situation where you run into a sudden shower, you can't see as clearly as you should, so you have to look down at a touchscreen to put the wipers on.  (Or can other people work touchscreens without looking at them?  I can't, but then I don't use a smartphone so perhaps I don't get the practice.)

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

Sounds lethal.  I presume the windscreen wipers come on automatically when it rains?  It's surely impossible to have the situation where you run into a sudden shower, you can't see as clearly as you should, so you have to look down at a touchscreen to put the wipers on.  (Or can other people work touchscreens without looking at them?  I can't, but then I don't use a smartphone so perhaps I don't get the practice.)

Wipers are automatic

Ok all you EV buffs, I need a new (to me) vehicle and I’m considering a full EV. 
I currently have 3 phase electrics and solar panels at the house and parking within 5m of the consumer unit. 
Is it best to go through my electricity supplier for a charger or any other way? 
What KWh charger? 
I’ve had dpf issues with current diesel vehicle due to lots of short journeys interspersed with the odd longer one but do want the occasional jaunt into Europe once annually. 
I don’t like the figures at the pump combined with poor economy with petrol. 
I need a reasonably large car, f-pace, q5 or xc60 sized. 
I have my wife’s car as trade in, worth about 22k and don’t want to put much more than another 5k down. 
I know I’m looking at a 3 yr old 50k miler at best probably. 
Any advice would be very welcome.

3 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Ok all you EV buffs, I need a new (to me) vehicle and I’m considering a full EV. 
I currently have 3 phase electrics and solar panels at the house and parking within 5m of the consumer unit. 
Is it best to go through my electricity supplier for a charger or any other way? 
What KWh charger? 
I’ve had dpf issues with current diesel vehicle due to lots of short journeys interspersed with the odd longer one but do want the occasional jaunt into Europe once annually. 
I have my wife’s car as trade in, worth about 22k and don’t want to put much more than another 5k down. 

Used Ioniq 5s are reasonably priced now compared to what they were if you can live with not having a premium brand, you might get a relatively recent one with your budget.

Interior space is one of the best things about it. 

Not driven it abroad but everything I've read about taking EVs to the continent suggests that if anything the infrastructure over there is better than here.

I don't know enough about electrical supply to comment on that - is 3 phase the same as DC? I use my home charger so little I cannot remember what it is. Is it 7 or 11 kWh that's the usual maximum at home? If I had solar panels I'm sure I'd use it a lot more

• Like 1

My Peugeot 2008 HDiBlue (64 plate) mentions in the handbook about topping up with AdBlue. It clearly shows that the filler cap is under the spare wheel in the boot. However, there isn't one! I've checked on a couple of forums, and the same question (where is the AdBlue filler cap?) has been asked, but no sensible replies given. Did earlier 2008 diesels not have an AdBlue tank? If so, why is it mentioned in the handbook? If it doesn't have one, that might explain why the car isn't exempt from the ulez charge.     

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Used Ioniq 5s are reasonably priced now compared to what they were if you can live with not having a premium brand, you might get a relatively recent one with your budget.

Interior space is one of the best things about it. 

Not driven it abroad but everything I've read about taking EVs to the continent suggests that if anything the infrastructure over there is better than here.

I don't know enough about electrical supply to comment on that - is 3 phase the same as DC? I use my home charger so little I cannot remember what it is. Is it 7 or 11 kWh that's the usual maximum at home? If I had solar panels I'm sure I'd use it a lot more

Three phase is still AC but can carry a heavier load than standard single phase so could possibly have a 22kWh charger installed. Not sure of cost implications though. Not looked at the Ioniq 5, I’ll check them out 👍

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

My Peugeot 2008 HDiBlue (64 plate) mentions in the handbook about topping up with AdBlue. It clearly shows that the filler cap is under the spare wheel in the boot. However, there isn't one! I've checked on a couple of forums, and the same question (where is the AdBlue filler cap?) has been asked, but no sensible replies given. Did earlier 2008 diesels not have an AdBlue tank? If so, why is it mentioned in the handbook? If it doesn't have one, that might explain why the car isn't exempt from the ulez charge.     

I once changed a bag type thing of diesel additive that was somewhere under the car around the rear axle on a 2007 Peugeot. Might not be the same thing though? 

This was pre adblue days but did the same thing (I think)

Edited by jgtuk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

What KWh charger? 

Q4, IPace, Ayira, Ionic 5 or Polestar 2. All of those would fit within your budget and be 2 to 3 years old. 

Our charger came free with the car from the Jaguar dealer, some of the dealers might still do this on limited offers. But through your energy supplier is a good option. Or you can get from an independent supplier. Generally, home chargers are 7kw but you can get 22w if you've got 3 phase. Octopus have a specific charger if you've got solar power at home. If you're mainly doing short journeys and won't need a full charge every night, 7kw will be more than adequate. 

We rarely need to charge away from home but on longer trips just use ZapMap to find/plan a charger enroute and see the cost/charge power. And a lot of Europe are pretty well set up with infrastructure for chargers. 

https://www.smarthomecharge.co.uk/chargers/

• Thanks 1

How strange. If your car did have AdBlue you'd probably get a warning light come on when the level is low to top it up. 

If you've checked and the car isn't ULEZ compliant then that would suggest it definitely doesn't have it.

I can only assume the handbook is a generic one for the entire range to cover all models rather than yours specifically.

I'd probably take it to a Peugeot dealer and ask them to have a quick look look just to double check.

• Like 1

• Like 1

Just now, jgtuk said:

Thank you for the YouTube link. That plastic frame is present - it's the thing that anchors the spare wheel bush in place, but immediately behind it (the round filler cap just visible in the above still picture) simply isn't there. Looking underneath the vehicle, there is also no obvious 'bulge' where the AdBlue tank might be located. 

Is yours the 1.4 or the 1.6?

Don't quote me on it, but I believe only the 1.6 had an AdBlue tank. That might change after the 2015/16 face-lift.

They also did some engine upgrades around 2014, certainly on the petrol, maybe the diesel as well, so it's possible you've got a late registration of the older car.

How long have you had the car and how many miles have you done? There should be a warning light if it needs refilling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jgtuk said:

What KWh charger? 

If you're part ex is owned outright, with that lump sum to put in, you could consider a PCP on something new. Take advantage of list price discount and manufacturers finance deposit contribution. That'd probably be worth around 5k to you. Monthly payments would be low. Or, if you wanted to own outright more easily, the balloon payment could be manipulated down to £1000, so your monthly payments are higher, but at the end of the term, your option to buy figure is just 1k. Decent APR on EV finance too. Nissan offering 3.49% I think at the minute.

Do consider the depreciation value though. But it is a way of getting more for your money.

A £19000 deposit on an almost top spec Ariya with a 320 mile range would be just over £100 a month

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jgtuk said:

Three phase is still AC but can carry a heavier load than standard single phase so could possibly have a 22kWh charger installed. Not sure of cost implications though. Not looked at the Ioniq 5, I’ll check them out 👍

We have a couple of 22kw chargers at work and the time saving is helpful, although the frequency that you actually need to be able top up quickly will depend on your circumstances; I almost never have to, but it's different for my colleagues that have to drive a lot for their job.

My only real criticisms of the Ioniq 5 are the same that a lot of owners have - the absence of a rear wiper is daft, although it's rarely a real issue, and due to a careless design oversight the rear seatbelt buckles rattle against the door frame if the last person to use them doesn't position them to avoid this, which drives me potty (and I can confirm children cannot be trained to give a toss about this)

• Like 1

Picked up our family Subaru Ascent just shy 2 weeks ago and love it. Getting used to a bigger vehicle than my honda crv but so far so good. Have since purchased  a foam cannon, various microfiber towels, buckets, different detailing prewash/shampoo/tire cleaners etc.  Looking forward to going down izzy's route of keeping cars looking good (as a hobby).

And yes, my sons city top is reflecting in the passenger door lol

Screenshot_20240612_080326_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Is yours the 1.4 or the 1.6?

Don't quote me on it, but I believe only the 1.6 had an AdBlue tank. That might change after the 2015/16 face-lift.

They also did some engine upgrades around 2014, certainly on the petrol, maybe the diesel as well, so it's possible you've got a late registration of the older car.

How long have you had the car and how many miles have you done? There should be a warning light if it needs refilling.

Having done a bit more research, it seems that the 1.6 diesel engine didn't have an AdBlue tank added until the start of 2015, so my car would have been manufactured just before the change was made, but Peugeot nevertheless provided the handbook for the newer version. This would explain the lack of a filler cap anywhere and the ulez non-exemption. Thank you everyone who has responded to my original enquiry. Much appreciated.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Picked up our family Subaru Ascent just shy 2 weeks ago and love it. Getting used to a bigger vehicle than my honda crv but so far so good. Have since purchased  a foam cannon, various microfiber towels, buckets, different detailing prewash/shampoo/tire cleaners etc.  Looking forward to going down izzy's route of keeping cars looking good (as a hobby).

And yes, my sons city top is reflecting in the passenger door lol

Screenshot_20240612_080326_Gallery.jpg

Nice one brother!

Watch this chap on YT for detailing tips. He's Canadian :thumbup:

44 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Nice one brother!

Watch this chap on YT for detailing tips. He's Canadian :thumbup:

Lol that is exactly who I watched. I subscribe to his channel.  Paaannnnnnn the organizer. Fellow canadian as well!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Lol that is exactly who I watched. I subscribe to his channel.  Paaannnnnnn the organizer. Fellow canadian as well!

Known in the trade as 'Pan the Advertiser' :D

• Haha 2

On 08/06/2024 at 19:34, moore_94 said:

2017 Fiat Tipo - Went through Motorway earlier today and it gave about £3700 and WBAC comes out around the same

Has some scuffed alloys though so expecting offers less than that, but at least it looks like that can be a starting point

Mostly been looking at Ford Focus - annoyingly found the exact kind of one I wanted last weekend and in the 20 mintues between me calling to see if it was still avaialble and turning up to see they had sold it (whether it was true it was available at the time I rang I don't know)

Ended up going for a wander around Available Car on Monday just for a look and decided to go for a Renault Kadjar

Reserved one (not at Available Car) and now just waiting for it to be available to see and test drive (looked at one exactly the same with less miles and slightly out of my price range but at least I already know I like how it looks and the interior etc)

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1