Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

Well, back to the drawing board. Looked at several EV’s - wife doesn’t like any of them… 

She loved the driving experience but hates the looks and being as she will be driving it more often than me, she wins. 
Anyone have an F-Pace? Drove the 3.0l v6 and it was her favourite by a mile, after trying the Q5 and XC60 (although they were both the 2.0l versions). 
The F-Pace incidentally, originally had a price of £77k including the extras fitted! Up for £27k on 22k miles, 3 years old! How do people/companies live with that sort of depreciation?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Grebfromgrebland

I know, I’ve tried hard to convince her but as she does lots of long distance for work, as well as not liking the EV designs, she has range and tech anxiety. 
It would have been ideal too as I can fit a high kw charger myself for a few hundred pounds and already have solar panels. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jgtuk said:

Well, back to the drawing board. Looked at several EV’s - wife doesn’t like any of them… 

She loved the driving experience but hates the looks and being as she will be driving it more often than me, she wins. 
Anyone have an F-Pace? Drove the 3.0l v6 and it was her favourite by a mile, after trying the Q5 and XC60 (although they were both the 2.0l versions). 
The F-Pace incidentally, originally had a price of £77k including the extras fitted! Up for £27k on 22k miles, 3 years old! How do people/companies live with that sort of depreciation?

Which EV's did you consider? And is your wife just a fusspot? lol

I like the Niro EV and the Cupra Born, but both seem pricey. As a budget option, I like the option of a second hand VW ID3, pricing so good for a 2/3yr old low mileage one. Also, Leaf (@tom27111 :wave:) is a good budget option as well, but I found I needed a slightly bigger boot then the leaf offers. Unless you're looking higher end, then not a clue lol

Still deciding my next move on from my current Kia Sportage. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Which EV's did you consider?

I like the Niro EV and the Cupra Born, but both seem pricey. As a budget option, I like the option of a second hand VW ID3, pricing so good for a 2/3yr old low mileage one. Also, Leaf (@tom27111 :wave:) is a good budget option as well, but I found I needed a slightly bigger boot then the leaf offers. Unless you're looking higher end, then not a clue lol

Looked at loads, her favourite to drive was the Jaguar I-Pace but she didn’t like the looks. I think her fear of the tech was the deciding factor in the end. We need something reasonably large, an SUV type of thing. 

20 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Looked at loads, her favourite to drive was the Jaguar I-Pace but she didn’t like the looks. I think her fear of the tech was the deciding factor in the end. We need something reasonably large, an SUV type of thing. 

Ah, is it with everything on one screen she didn't like? I personally don't like that and prefer to have the info in front of me e.g speed etc...but I'm old skool :(

24 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

May I suggest a Nissan Ariya :ph34r:

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Ah, is it with everything on one screen she didn't like? I personally don't like that and prefer to have the info in front of me e.g speed etc...but I'm old skool :(

This but mainly the charging and range. When she is away, it’s for a week at a time and she doesn’t trust that the charging network will be convenient enough. 

26 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

This but mainly the charging and range. When she is away, it’s for a week at a time and she doesn’t trust that the charging network will be convenient enough. 

Funny about the ipace, as I think its better looking than the ICE jags - some great deals on second hand ones a the mo - if I didn't have another 10 months on my lease I'd be financing one I think..

Ariya is a good shout albeit some great deals at the mo on lease via brokers (sorry Tom!).

If you are at top end of the market Lotus also seem desperate to give away Eletre's...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hebangsthedrums said:

Funny about the ipace, as I think its better looking than the ICE jags - some great deals on second hand ones a the mo - if I didn't have another 10 months on my lease I'd be financing one I think..

Ariya is a good shout albeit some great deals at the mo on lease via brokers (sorry Tom!).

If you are at top end of the market Lotus also seem desperate to give away Eletre's...

Wow! Top end, definitely. I saw one for the first time this morning and they look massive

10 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Wow! Top end, definitely. I saw one for the first time this morning and they look massive

Yeh, I've had a quick go and a lovely car, deals I've seen are great given the list price.

Subjective opinion but not a lotus though - Chinese SUV with a Lotus badge on....

That said I've also sat in a BYD dolphin and they seem great value so hard to fight the Chinese onslaught...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Which EV's did you consider? And is your wife just a fusspot? lol

Only just seen your edit 😂

Fusspot is not a word I’ve used for her but…  

She’s an interior designer so very particular about aesthetics, often asks my opinion about paint colours and I swear it’s a trap and she’s showing me the same colour. 

• Haha 1

On 14/06/2024 at 13:54, moore_94 said:

Ended up going for a wander around Available Car on Monday just for a look and decided to go for a Renault Kadjar

Reserved one (not at Available Car) and now just waiting for it to be available to see and test drive (looked at one exactly the same with less miles and slightly out of my price range but at least I already know I like how it looks and the interior etc)

Finally available to see tomorrow!

The 2 weeks has dragged since I reserved it lol

21 hours ago, hebangsthedrums said:

Yeh, I've had a quick go and a lovely car, deals I've seen are great given the list price.

Subjective opinion but not a lotus though - Chinese SUV with a Lotus badge on....

That said I've also sat in a BYD dolphin and they seem great value so hard to fight the Chinese onslaught...

alot fo the Chinese and Korean EV makers have stolen a huge march on the traditional car companies. they are proper pieces of kit now.... even xioami have just released a car which looks incredible (the SU7) - for context, thats a bit like Samsung or Sony releasing a car.... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jgtuk said:

Only just seen your edit 😂

Fusspot is not a word I’ve used for her but…  

She’s an interior designer so very particular about aesthetics, often asks my opinion about paint colours and I swear it’s a trap and she’s showing me the same colour. 

All those words and you could have just said Fusspot :D. Love that word. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

alot fo the Chinese and Korean EV makers have stolen a huge march on the traditional car companies. they are proper pieces of kit now.... even xioami have just released a car which looks incredible (the SU7) - for context, thats a bit like Samsung or Sony releasing a car.... 

Korean EVs seem to be quite good. I have my reservations about the Chinese ones, but Kia and Hyundai seem to do quite well. They're not perfect, though.

26 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Finally available to see tomorrow!

The 2 weeks has dragged since I reserved it lol

Please report back, we've revised our previous 'brand new Austral' idea and are now thinking about the Kadjar.

Exciting times!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Korean EVs seem to be quite good. I have my reservations about the Chinese ones, but Kia and Hyundai seem to do quite well. They're not perfect, though.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2024 at 18:03, FoxesDeb said:

Please report back, we've revised our previous 'brand new Austral' idea and are now thinking about the Kadjar.

Exciting times!

Picking it up on Monday!

Lovely to drive, not brand new (its a 20 plate) but if the brand new ones are anything like this or better then I definitely recommend one

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Picking it up on Monday!

Lovely to drive, not brand new (its a 20 plate) but if the brand new ones are anything like this or better then I definitely recommend one

Glad you like it! We'd be looking at one around the same age as yours too

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Glad you like it! We'd be looking at one around the same age as yours too

I have gone for the 1.3L manual petrol version, for a small engine in a big car it is still pretty quick

Plenty of room in the front and back (although we are all short arses haha) and I think just a nice looking car

image.png.a66cd8f8c31f4325868e9029ec2bae53.png

On 23/06/2024 at 19:55, fox_favourite said:

I'm also old school, which heavily influenced going for the ipace. Proper dash in front of you, speed, maps, range, clock etc and you don't control everything through a screen. And actual buttons for air con, heated seats etc. I can't be doing with my bum burning while driving and trying to turn the seats off!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

I'm also old school, which heavily influenced going for the ipace. Proper dash in front of you, speed, maps, range, clock etc and you don't control everything through a screen. And actual buttons for air con, heated seats etc. I can't be doing with my bum burning while driving and trying to turn the seats off!

Drove a car the other week that had a heated steering wheel that was obviously on the highest setting

Driving down the motorway with a really hot steering wheel trying to find how to turn it off was not fun

• Haha 1

On 23/06/2024 at 18:33, jgtuk said:

If you are looking in that price bracket, get a 12 month old X5 50e, you can do about 40 miles on electric, it shifts with 480 bhp. If she is looking at it from a company car pov the tax break is way too generous to go anything other than EV. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommy G said:

If you are looking in that price bracket, get a 12 month old X5 50e, you can do about 40 miles on electric, it shifts with 480 bhp. If she is looking at it from a company car pov the tax break is way too generous to go anything other than EV. 

The wife has a 50e. Tanzanite blue with silverstone interior. It is hell of a car and a massive step up from the Q5 she had prior to the X5. I charge it (obviously not her!!) every other night and I can’t remember the last time we put petrol in it! £1.60 to charge it on a EV tariff! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

The wife has a 50e. Tanzanite blue with silverstone interior. It is hell of a car and a massive step up from the Q5 she had prior to the X5. I charge it (obviously not her!!) every other night and I can’t remember the last time we put petrol in it! £1.60 to charge it on a EV tariff! 

Is it nice? I'm thinking of getting one later this year as the family car, the hybrid part attracted me as mon - fri my wife will drive it and use no petrol as her mileage is local and we'll all use it at weekend.  

I think the X5 Competition is the dream but you can't justify the running costs or initial outlay, some motor.