Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

23 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

Octopus inteligent go is the EV tariff. 7p for 6 hours every night for all the house plus random extra slots when the car is plugged in. You need a smart meter and ideally a compatable charger (zappi, ohme or wallbox). A compatable car is also ok but works better with the right charger.

I live in a new build (for my sins) so I'm all smart metered up. Which charger would be the best? Any better charger than another? 

Sounds like I'm getting one already lol

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

I live in a new build (for my sins) so I'm all smart metered up. Which charger would be the best? Any better charger than another? 

You can see the tarrir and find out about chargers on this page by filling in the options further down. 

https://octopus.energy/smart/intelligent-octopus-go/

Edited by The Bear

3 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Interesting. Niro isn't covered with that, ID3 is. 

Would you buy an out of warranty EV?

Yeah I've never been able to go with Octopus sadly as either my car (Niro) or PodPoint charger doesn't work with Octopus. 

1 hour ago, fox_favourite said:

I have a zappi and that has been great. Ohme also reliable from what I hear, not sure about wallbox though. Zappi also works well with batteries and solar if you have or thinking you might get them.

16 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

I have a zappi and that has been great. Ohme also reliable from what I hear, not sure about wallbox though. Zappi also works well with batteries and solar if you have or thinking you might get them.

We have the Ohme Epod. Went for it as it is compatible with cheap tariffs on multiple suppliers and it is a neat little unit. Some of them are massive and look ugly on the front of your house. 

2 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Interesting. Niro isn't covered with that, ID3 is. 

Would you buy an out of warranty EV?

Depends on which warranty is out and if you get more than one. 

On Tesla you get 4 years for the car in general, but 8 years for the battery. I'd have no problem buying one for years 4-7 but maybe think a bit harder about 8+.

9 hours ago, The Bear said:

Depends on which warranty is out and if you get more than one. 

On Tesla you get 4 years for the car in general, but 8 years for the battery. I'd have no problem buying one for years 4-7 but maybe think a bit harder about 8+.

I was talking to what I suppose you'd call an "early adopter" the other day who had owned a Tesla Model S from new in 2014 and he reckoned that the battery had lost, at worst, about 10% capacity, which is in line with what I've read about Teslas elsewhere.

I think it's only the very early Nissan Leafs that had serious battery degradation issues. I know someone with one of those that now has a range of about 60 miles, but I can't imagine they could go all that far to start with

• Like 1

Anyone considering an EV, we've got some ridiculous deals on ex demo Nissan Ariyas.

Finance rate of 5.9% instead of the usual 12.9% on used vehicles. Low mileage, really good specs.

Plus a deposit contribution. 

Let me know if anyone interested, deals aren't available on our website yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I was talking to what I suppose you'd call an "early adopter" the other day who had owned a Tesla Model S from new in 2014 and he reckoned that the battery had lost, at worst, about 10% capacity, which is in line with what I've read about Teslas elsewhere.

I think it's only the very early Nissan Leafs that had serious battery degradation issues. I know someone with one of those that now has a range of about 60 miles, but I can't imagine they could go all that far to start with

Top range on the early ones, brand new was 75 miles.

Nissan have only ever had to replace 2 Leaf batteries under warranty for degradation. Which is mind blowing.

10 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Nissan have only ever had to replace 2 Leaf batteries under warranty for degradation. Which is mind blowing.

So in % terms that's not that bad. I'm impressed that people would buy a car that only goes 75 miles. I think folk frequently overstate their range needs but that's going some

14 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Anyone considering an EV, we've got some ridiculous deals on ex demo Nissan Ariyas.

Finance rate of 5.9% instead of the usual 12.9% on used vehicles. Low mileage, really good specs.

Plus a deposit contribution. 

Let me know if anyone interested, deals aren't available on our website yet.

Still trying to convince my wife that it’s the way to go for our uses and mileage. I’m going to look at a few today, including the Ariya. Won’t be using finance though, have a car to trade or sell privately so it would probably be a trade/cash deal I’d be looking at. 

1 minute ago, jgtuk said:

Still trying to convince my wife that it’s the way to go for our uses and mileage. I’m going to look at a few today, including the Ariya. Won’t be using finance though, have a car to trade or sell privately so it would probably be a trade/cash deal I’d be looking at. 

Well we've got Evolves in 87 and 63kwh.

If you decide it's something you like, give me a chance to see what I can do :thumbup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Yeah it's not so much range determination but if it ever develops a fault. They're really expensive to fix usually. 

12 hours ago, tom27111 said:

They just let leaf owners drive around 30 miles range

Went from a 2005 Toyota Prius to a 2023 Tesla Model 3.  Wish I had made the switch earlier.  Warranty on Tesla is very good for parts and components.  Only downside is for repairs and parts, only Tesla does them and supplies them.  Hopefully that changes in the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Molson Canadian said:

Went from a 2005 Toyota Prius to a 2023 Tesla Model 3.  Wish I had made the switch earlier.  Warranty on Tesla is very good for parts and components.  Only downside is for repairs and parts, only Tesla does them and supplies them.  Hopefully that changes in the future. 

Good choice. Tesla warranty stuff isn't great nowadays as Musk is getting rid of all the staff at branches but at least you can book any work through the app, and Nottingham branch isn't far (right next to Trent Bridge). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

Good choice. Tesla warranty stuff isn't great nowadays as Musk is getting rid of all the staff at branches but at least you can book any work through the app, and Nottingham branch isn't far (right next to Trent Bridge). 

I've had great service every time I've used them recently. Try not to worry about the media noise, if anything they're getting better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

@jgtuk did you manage to have a look at a few things the other day?

Yes, I still can't convince her to go the EV route, although she didn't dislike the Ariya so that was a plus...

We've both been working since though so haven't had a chance to get our heads together.

What sort of age, mileage and price are the ex demo's you have (if you still have them)

You can PM if you prefer

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Yes, I still can't convince her to go the EV route, although she didn't dislike the Ariya so that was a plus...

We've both been working since though so haven't had a chance to get our heads together.

What sort of age, mileage and price are the ex demo's you have (if you still have them)

You can PM if you prefer

We're running really low now as a group, only a couple left

https://www.glynhopkin.com/used-cars/search/?manufacturer[0]=Nissan&model[0]=Ariya&nfcSearchVersion=1.0.0

Worth keeping an eye on the situation if you aren't in a rush though. At some point, we'll defleet all our current demos and offer them with big savings.

There's a couple we've done in the last day or 2 with 15k off the list price.

• Like 1