Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

On 18/02/2022 at 01:10, tom27111 said:

Have I mentioned it's now my job to sell these?

I don't really have to do much. Just look at it.

If you'd like one, and why wouldn't you, let me know lol

1c17cb86ba5032181b3842537e42738984c78d2c.jpeg

What is not to love, sold our 1st Giulietta at 60k, the wifes forced me to get rid of the 2nd one at 165k having sailed through the MOT and the only issue now is i am driving her old Guilietta on 69k and she takes my Stelvio, in the last 10 years or so needed one battery and a sensor after coming home on limp mode and between us have covered around 250k miles in that time. Just get yourselves a mechanic or dealership that knows the cars and a salesman who loves the brand. I am not mechanical have a brother who is and his £55k BMW seems to be off the road more than on it

• Like 1

I'm coming close to the point where I'm going to need a new car, but I know next to nothing about them. I've been considering making the switch to an Electric car, but it seems like the only ones worth buying at the moment are upwards of £50k (Tesla's, Mustang Mach-E, Jaguar I-Pace etc...) and that's well above my budget.

Are there any electric cars worth buying yet that wont cost more than around £30k? I quite like the Hyundai Kona but as I said before, I know next to nothing about cars so I don't really know what to look out for!

1 hour ago, TiffToff88 said:

I'm coming close to the point where I'm going to need a new car, but I know next to nothing about them. I've been considering making the switch to an Electric car, but it seems like the only ones worth buying at the moment are upwards of £50k (Tesla's, Mustang Mach-E, Jaguar I-Pace etc...) and that's well above my budget.

Are there any electric cars worth buying yet that wont cost more than around £30k? I quite like the Hyundai Kona but as I said before, I know next to nothing about cars so I don't really know what to look out for!

Kona's are a good car, but for one with a long range battery, you're looking minimum price of just under 35k.

The top of the range has the 64kwh battery, that the manufacturer states will do 300 miles, in real world, it'll be closer to 260, they're about 37k.

The mid range has a choice of 2 batteries, for 30k, you get the 39kwh battery which will have a range of about 150 miles. They're priced just over 30k, but to upgrade to the better battery cost over 4 grand.

That's a lot of car for the money though, especially when you consider that a Peuget 208 or a Fiat 500e are priced around the 30k mark and they have a range of about 180 miles.

We sell new Hyundai's at my dealer. Let me know if you'd like any more info. Could get you some quotes/arrange a test drive if you don't mind coming to Bedford!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

If your buying using finance, your fuel saving for an electric car will be quite substantial compared to a petrol or diesel car.  When I was doing some sums, I could quite happily finance an extra £100 or so because of fuel savings.  Still haven't ordered one though - cant stomach waiting the best part of a year for a new car from ordering it.

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Kona's are a good car, but for one with a long range battery, you're looking minimum price of just under 35k.

The top of the range has the 64kwh battery, that the manufacturer states will do 300 miles, in real world, it'll be closer to 260, they're about 37k.

The mid range has a choice of 2 batteries, for 30k, you get the 39kwh battery which will have a range of about 150 miles. They're priced just over 30k, but to upgrade to the better battery cost over 4 grand.

That's a lot of car for the money though, especially when you consider that a Peuget 208 or a Fiat 500e are priced around the 30k mark and they have a range of about 180 miles.

We sell new Hyundai's at my dealer. Let me know if you'd like any more info. Could get you some quotes/arrange a test drive if you don't mind coming to Bedford!

Quite like the look of the Ioniq-5.  A bit more £££ though.

7 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I’ve got a Kia Soul, does 280 miles. I’ve got the First Edition which isn’t made anymore so has all the bells and whistles but I think there is a similar version called Maxx now. Think it was £35k when I got it, I believe the Maxx is less. Also worth looking at the E-Niro and Kona (which all use the same motor/battery). 

A friend had the i-pace, and other than being quicker I’d take the Soul EV over it any day, it’s more spacious and has more gadgets, and Is far cheaper. 

Also check out the VW id3, the interior is a huge let down but it drives really nicely and isn’t close to £50k. 

If you have room on your drive the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 are both amazing. 

On 04/03/2022 at 09:53, tom27111 said:

How is Average  Joe or Average Raj expected  to go "electric" when they prices are mega??

Fair enough they plan to decommission petrol cars in the next decade but the way the world economy is going you'll need a second mortgag6 just to do a weekly shop.

57 minutes ago, Raj said:

How is Average  Joe or Average Raj expected  to go "electric" when they prices are mega??

Fair enough they plan to decommission petrol cars in the next decade but the way the world economy is going you'll need a second mortgag6 just to do a weekly shop.

Prices are decreasing, year on year. It's like any new technology, as it becomes more mainstream, it becomes more affordable. 

Don't fret, Raj, petrol and diesel might not exist as new cars, but they'll be on the road and still quite common long after we've gone!

• Like 1

Bought this home for the weekend as my car is out on loan with a customer. 

I'll have to find something else on Monday, I can't deal with 22mpg lol

Would love one in the summer, you can unbolt the roof and doors!

Needs a petrol tanker in tow though.

Screenshot_20220305-182633_Gallery.jpg

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

The second hand market for electric will take off in the next few years too. They'll soon be as cheap as most 5-10 year old Ice cars. 

It's also worth considering the fuel and tax saving.

High up front cost leads to lower outgoings in the long term.

Edit...and the servicing costs. The techs basically have to check if the battery is still there! Considering the price of oil, that's some saving.

Edited by tom27111

Just now, tom27111 said:

It's also worth considering the fuel and tax saving.

High up front cost leads to lower outgoings in the long term.

Yep. I don't pay a thing in maintenance for at least 3 years. And even then the servicing is very minor. Add in the fuel savings and it's a good few thousand saved. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Bought this home for the weekend as my car is out on loan with a customer. 

I'll have to find something else on Monday, I can't deal with 22mpg lol

Would love one in the summer, you can unbolt the roof and doors!

Needs a petrol tanker in tow though.

Screenshot_20220305-182633_Gallery.jpg

Are you in car sales or a pimp Tom ? Forgive me if they’re pretty much the same thing :)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Raj said:

I pay £209/mo for mine on lease, no tax, no MOT, no tyres, £7 to fill up (before silly electricity prices, hopefully they go back down) for ~280 miles. It’s hardly rich person money. 

3 minutes ago, danny. said:

I pay £209/mo for mine on lease, no tax, no MOT, no tyres, £7 to fill up (before silly electricity prices, hopefully they go back down) for ~280 miles. It’s hardly rich person money. 

What you got Danny? Seems a decent price that.

Standard 3 month up front on a 3 year lease?

Advantages and disadvantages on that, typically dictated by what mileage you do.

Not knocking it at all, we offer them at work, different things work for different people. All about your circumstances and making it work for you :thumbup:

Think it was 9 months. Kia Soul First Edition, it’s not a fashionable brand but I really like it and brilliant for the money. I’ve had 3 Kia’s now and the quality is brilliant, better than the last Mercedes I had anyway! I found a decent deal online and got my local dealer to match it. 

I don’t do loads of driving so the range is fine for me, in fact way more convenient to just plug in at home than go to a petrol station. 

• Like 1

On 01/03/2022 at 18:35, tom27111 said:

Sold a car to a lovely lady in her late 50's today. She'd been driving a Fiat Siecento that she bought brand new, 18 years ago. 

It was starting to cost her money, so wanted a new Fiat 500 to keep for another 18 years.

Sold her a pre-reg, so she saved 3k on a factory order/new reg.

Her daughter came with her, the daughter drives a BMW and was putting off ordering a new car because of the supply issues.

Chatted to the daughter, valued her car, found out it was massively in equity and basically sold her a brand new BMW even though I don't work for them! The sales exec there will love me!

For anyone on here on a PCP taken out before last August, get your car valued. You're probably in a shit load of equity. Don't lose it.

The used car market could crash at any time.

That would help me out though.

A PCP on a brand new car is cheaper than on a used car, due to various factors.

As always, anyone need any advice, hit me up.

Can value cars for you and find certain new ones too.

:thumbup:

Edit...Not a sales tactic. Helped a few of you out and posts on here prove that.

Don't get ripped off!

4 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Are you in car sales or a pimp Tom ? Forgive me if they’re pretty much the same thing :)

Pcp....angel dust....pimping...what's toms real job?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, danny. said:

Think it was 9 months. Kia Soul First Edition, it’s not a fashionable brand but I really like it and brilliant for the money. I’ve had 3 Kia’s now and the quality is brilliant, better than the last Mercedes I had anyway! I found a decent deal online and got my local dealer to match it. 

I don’t do loads of driving so the range is fine for me, in fact way more convenient to just plug in at home than go to a petrol station. 

Great price on an EV.

Some leases offer excellent value, some don't.

It's a tough call to make. Never going to build up any equity, but typically have all your maintenance covered.

Also depends on the market. If you took out a PCP 18 months ago, you should be in ridiculous equity right now.

Swings and roundabouts. A very hard market to read.

As I said, as long as it works for you, so many options out there.