Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

World Cuisine (not just Chinese and Indian)

When I was on holiday last week we tried a Lebanese restaurant, really nice. I had Chicken Babilonia which was like curry but with mango added. Not as bad as it sounds. They even managed to make Hummus and avocado dips taste nice which was a surprise to me.

On the down side, I bought some Spanish black pudding out there, not knowing that the Spaniards put sugar in it when they make. Tasted fvcking awful.

Any other cuisines we should know about?

While in New York I had something called a Jian Bing (Chinese obviously) which was basically a pancake with fried egg outside, hoisin and chilli sauce, some crispy wanton cracker thing and meat. Was incredible, I made one myself which wasn't quite so incredible though.

Lots of mad stuff in Palermo like Pane ca' meusa - beef spleen and ricotta sandwich, or stighiolla - grilled lambs guts. Good hangover stuff.

Balkan cuisine is also great if you like grilled meat and lots of it.

When I was on holiday last week we tried a Lebanese restaurant, really nice. I had Chicken Babilonia which was like curry but with mango added. Not as bad as it sounds. They even managed to make Hummus and avocado dips taste nice which was a surprise to me.

On the down side, I bought some Spanish black pudding out there, not knowing that the Spaniards put sugar in it when they make. Tasted fvcking awful.

Any other cuisines we should know about?

My dad's good friend owns a Lebanese restaurant on Churchgate. Well worth a try if you want to take the missus out for the night.

• Like 1

When I was in Taiwan I ate sheep bollock, chickens heart and chickens feet. Surprisingly out the 3 it was the feet that tasted shit.

I ate heart when I was in Bulgaria, can't remember what animal it was from. It tasted like liver to me, didn't think it was bad.

I ate heart when I was in Bulgaria, can't remember what animal it was from. It tasted like liver to me, didn't think it was bad.

I had lambs head last year in Bulgaria. Brain was quite nice, as was the actual meat, but I drew the line at the eyes.

I had lambs head last year in Bulgaria. Brain was quite nice, as was the actual meat, but I drew the line at the eyes.

I'll eat most things but I draw line at brain.

Another joining the Korean bandwagon, Bibimbap is unbelievable! I thought it would just be a variation of a Pad Thai but loved the extra heat it had with a nice fried egg mixed in too.

In the minority I know but have actually enjoyed the brain I have dared to try, it was very simply quick fried in butter but once I got my head around the sight and texture, the taste was actually very nice.

Edited by EastAnglianFox

The Bulgarians have a dish called patatnik - it is so good. Like a Spanish omelette but with really salty cheese and mint. One of those dishes you just want to keep eating even if you're about to be sick.

Had one of those huge mezze things in Santorini, and one of the dishes was the nicest thing I'd ever eaten. Asked the waiter what it was, he just said "eggplant salad". Need to know what it was actually called in case I can make it myself

Another thing you need to have experienced at least once in your life is the Luther burger. Next time you're barbecuing burgers, use a sugared/glazed doughnut cut in half instead of a bun. Well nice.

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo
  • Like 1

While in New York I had something called a Jian Bing (Chinese obviously) which was basically a pancake with fried egg outside, hoisin and chilli sauce, some crispy wanton cracker thing and meat. Was incredible, I made one myself which wasn't quite so incredible though.

I'm sure had I had something very similar when I was in China, like an egg cob. Was crazy good.

I'm sure had I had something very similar when I was in China, like an egg cob. Was crazy good.

Probably, I googled it and it's big business in China for breakfast apparently. I ate at 2 top restaurants while in NYC but this thing was all I could think about when I got back.