Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Resetting a phone.

Should I be concerned  when resetting a phone when it tells me that....

You cannot use encrypted files on the SD Card after you reset your device to factory defaults.

I don't  have a SD Card unless one is integral to the original phone which is a Samsung S3 mini.

My guess, with guess being the operative, but educated, word, it is referring to external memory, which you don't have. If an SD card was part of your phone, it usually comes separate and you install it yourself, assuming you've had it from new.

My guess, with guess being the operative, but educated, word, it is referring to external memory, which you don't have. If an SD card was part of your phone, it usually comes separate and you install it yourself, assuming you've had it from new.

Thanks.

Yes from new. It just seemed a bit odd that with all that technology they couldn't  set it up to recognise if there was an SD Card present.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't want to start a new thread but I've got a problem with a new Android phone that I want to completely wipe (remove existing Android and install clean version) - I've never done a proper root before, only a 1-click version on an already root-friendly phone

It's a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (Snapdragon) that came pre-installed with a trojan and adware - detected but unremovable. I also hate the bastardised version of Android (MIUI 7.1) so I want to wipe everything and start again with bog-standard Android if this is possible

Had a quick Google but a lot of the guides online seem conflicting and pretty complicated so just wondered if anyone was any good with this sort of thing. Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't want to start a new thread but I've got a problem with a new Android phone that I want to completely wipe (remove existing Android and install clean version) - I've never done a proper root before, only a 1-click version on an already root-friendly phone

It's a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (Snapdragon) that came pre-installed with a trojan and adware - detected but unremovable. I also hate the bastardised version of Android (MIUI 7.1) so I want to wipe everything and start again with bog-standard Android if this is possible

Had a quick Google but a lot of the guides online seem conflicting and pretty complicated so just wondered if anyone was any good with this sort of thing. Cheers

How are you getting along with this mate?

Because I ordered one at the end of last month and I'm on letterbox duty waiting for it to arrive.

aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-Pro-Prime-4G-LTE-Cell-Phone-Snapdragon-650-Hexa-Core-Fingerprint/32599987629.html

I guess you've got somewhere by now, before buying mine I looked up numerous tutorials and I'm still a little bit confused. What I have made of it is that you can either apply to Xiaomi on their website for a code that gives you permission to unlock the bootloader which takes a couple of days to get and the other method of manually hooking it up to your PC and going through CommandPrompt ect. I've applied to the prior whilst I'm still waiting.

From there I think you can install ROMs, I'm planning on the dedicated Redmi Note3 CyanogenMod - http://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/development/rom-cyanogenmod-13-0-xiaomi-redmi-note-3-t3350656

How was postage also? I went with the sellers option as I've heard DHL can be overzealous with agent fees and import duty

How are you getting along with this mate?

Because I ordered one at the end of last month and I'm on letterbox duty waiting for it to arrive.

aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-Pro-Prime-4G-LTE-Cell-Phone-Snapdragon-650-Hexa-Core-Fingerprint/32599987629.html

I guess you've got somewhere by now, before buying mine I looked up numerous tutorials and I'm still a little bit confused. What I have made of it is that you can either apply to Xiaomi on their website for a code that gives you permission to unlock the bootloader which takes a couple of days to apply for and the other method of manually hooking it up to your PC and going through CommandPrompt ect. I've applied to the prior whilst I'm still waiting.

From there I think you can install ROMs, I'm planning on the newly released, dedicated Redmi Note3 CyanogenMod - http://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/development/rom-cyanogenmod-13-0-xiaomi-redmi-note-3-t3350656

How was postage also? I went with the sellers option as I've heard DHL can be overzealous with agent fees and import duty

I ordered mine from banggood.com, used them before. They ship with China Air Mail which is slow but neither time have I been charged import duty

I got rid of the trojan by flashing a standard Xiaomi rom (seller must have put their own version of MIUI on to include Google Apps etc) and the other malware is still on the phone, however I think they're just "potentially unwanted programmes" or bloatware, not actually dangerous.

The phone is very fast but a massive ballache. MIUI is like an Android jigsaw puzzle, not everything is where it should be. I applied for the unlock from Xiaomi and was successful but it wouldn't unlock for about 3 weeks after I was granted permission and I tried every day. This is a common problem. I haven't bothered to try and flash standard Android yet as I don't really like the phone much and can no longer be arsed with it.

The MIUI has a "feature" called Xunlei download accelerator which runs through supposedly superfast supersafe Chinese (spy) servers - if you try to download anything off the web it prompts you to use it. If you decline, it cancels the download. If you accept, it spools up then says it couldn't connect.

Aux out doesn't work. If you plug the phone into a stereo, it comes up with the headphone icon but sound comes out of phone speaker.

This is my 4th Chinese phone and the only one I've had problems with. Would never buy Xiaomi again. I had a THL for a while ane that was fantastic but they mainly make budget phones now

I ordered mine from banggood.com, used them before. They ship with China Air Mail which is slow but neither time have I been charged import duty

I got rid of the trojan by flashing a standard Xiaomi rom (seller must have put their own version of MIUI on to include Google Apps etc) and the other malware is still on the phone, however I think they're just "potentially unwanted programmes" or bloatware, not actually dangerous.

The phone is very fast but a massive ballache. MIUI is like an Android jigsaw puzzle, not everything is where it should be. I applied for the unlock from Xiaomi and was successful but it wouldn't unlock for about 3 weeks after I was granted permission and I tried every day. This is a common problem. I haven't bothered to try and flash standard Android yet as I don't really like the phone much and can no longer be arsed with it.

The MIUI has a "feature" called Xunlei download accelerator which runs through supposedly superfast supersafe Chinese (spy) servers - if you try to download anything off the web it prompts you to use it. If you decline, it cancels the download. If you accept, it spools up then says it couldn't connect.

Aux out doesn't work. If you plug the phone into a stereo, it comes up with the headphone icon but sound comes out of phone speaker.

This is my 4th Chinese phone and the only one I've had problems with. Would never buy Xiaomi again. I had a THL for a while ane that was fantastic but they mainly make budget phones now

I seem to have accumulated a fair amount of low value Chinese products in the last year or two, used Ali and Gearbest exclusively but for BangGood I've never really been sure enough. I dont know what their refund policy is like lol but for that aux line out you deserve a refund really.

Stock android should mitigate most of its problems for me hopefully. The bootloader taking a while thing I've seen mentioned, most of Indias YouTubers say that you need to be running the DevROM and you can always do it manually with guides.

Thought this phone was more of a safe bet tbh. The options were Xiaomi Mi5 or the Oneplus3, money got tight and I went for the fallback option.

ZUK Z2 Pro or a ZTE Axon 7 in particular are the upcoming Chinaphones I had my eye on.

You might like it, it's a really fast phone and the display is great, massive brightness range. Once you get used to the different menus it's not so bad. I get sick of the bloatware giving me notifications in Chinese that you can't disable, but if you flashed stock Android that would fix that. Apparently the Aux out problem can be fixed by using an app which forces sound output to speaker or the aux out, so it's not that big a deal. The bootloader unlock I did everything thwy said, including having dev rom but I contacted Xiaomi and they said you sometimes have to wait a few weeks for it to work. Didn't want to risk bricking my phone by using other methods

If this had a Samsung badge on it it'd probably be worth £500, Chinese phones are mental spec for the money, just not always as straightforward as "proper" phones!

You might like it, it's a really fast phone and the display is great, massive brightness range. Once you get used to the different menus it's not so bad. I get sick of the bloatware giving me notifications in Chinese that you can't disable, but if you flashed stock Android that would fix that. Apparently the Aux out problem can be fixed by using an app which forces sound output to speaker or the aux out, so it's not that big a deal. The bootloader unlock I did everything thwy said, including having dev rom but I contacted Xiaomi and they said you sometimes have to wait a few weeks for it to work. Didn't want to risk bricking my phone by using other methods

If this had a Samsung badge on it it'd probably be worth £500, Chinese phones are mental spec for the money, just not always as straightforward as "proper" phones!

Shame really cause I would've tried to buy it off of you if I'd seen this thread before.

Main issues software then, the only faults otherwise being the slightly gimped camera, a lack of Gorilla Glass & Fast Charge. From looking around this morning I've found a YouTuber called RootJunky who goes step by step how to deal with installing ROMs and even how to de-brick this device - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaPvcEA8BA-J9_3mmzhwE5TGRU53q3oux

Definitely gonna try and do everything I can to get off Miui, Resurrection looks interesting but Cyanogenmod has more behind it. I'll post back when I actually get somewhere, please show up this week lol

Turned up yesterday and the unlocking - reflashing process took a couple of hours from watching the vids I linked and getting all the downloads set up before.

Hardest bit for me was getting onto the dev ROM, it wouldn't let me remove the sellers one so I had to go into a specific bootmode and flash that way, scared me a little because it updated to MIUI 8 but was still a dev ROM so all good. Then on it was easy and I'm on CyanogenMod with Gapps and the camera fix, only problem it won't recognise SIM 1.

The sellers ROM was actually nice to use but you can't trust it if you can't update fully, great phone too :)

edit:restarted and it now recognises SIM 1 again, no other problems apart from wasting £3 on shit screen protectors. AnTuTu gave it a score of over 79,000, geekbench 1400 single core, 3600 multi-core.

Archived